Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Mad force and the good Ol' USA-1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #1

Cool My Mad force and the good Ol' USA-1

Not much of a build thread, but I just wanted to show you guys a couple pics pf my old nitro rigs.

I've been into Losi micro crawlers for over an year now, but my MF has been gathering dust on the shelf in my garage for many years, but a week ago something just hit me, and I got this weird urge to get the beast out and drive it a little!

After all these years all my radio gear and everything was lost somewhere, but I managed to find all I needed after a long search around the house. So out I went and I managed to get the motor to fire up after a while. Man I had a blast driving the thing for the first time in about six years! All the great memories came back to me along with the smell of nitrous and that lovely sound!

A couple days after that I remembered I had my first nitro truck laying around somewhere, and that truck is nothing less than the mother of all nitro monster trucks, USA-1! And I felt it was my responsibility to resurrect it back from the dead! Well, that truck haven't seen the sun for a decade or so, and it was just packed away somewhere in many pieces. I remembered myself butchering it for some parts a long time ago, but now it was a time to go find and dig out the old lady, and see what parts she was missing!

Well, I found the truck, and I was amazed how intact it was after all. It was just missing a motor and pipe, rear swing shafts, wheels and tires, body and electronics! I dug around some more, and found the wheels and tires too, but those were the stock mad force wheels, and they don't work with the USA-1 because they don't have enough offset. So I instantly ordered some Ofna Monster Pirate wheels for it. Also found my old Mad Force motor and pipe for it, and bought a couple new servos and a Ford F-150 body from LHS.

We put the truck back together with my bud, and even drove it like five minutes only to break a diff output shaft! Damn, and the ones used today are not the same, but I managed to mod one to fit in there. Now I'm just waiting for some parts to arrive from the States, wheels, etc + plus some spares for the Force because a bearing went from the rear pinion and melted the axle housing, so both trucks are now sitting and waiting.

Here's a couple of pics of them, and I will post more, and maybe some videos too when I get them running again!

New school meets Old school!

Last edited by Paul4x4; 06-05-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Paul4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Those are Cool Looking Trucks
And your story kept me at the edge of my seat

Thanks for sharing & lets see some BYB Video
When you get them back up and running

Regards V8
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
SuperShafty.com

i liked the story too man. had me waiting to see if you found all the parts!!!

good lookin trucks
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #4

Thanks guys!

I forgot to mention, and maybe some of you noticed it already, but there's the original USA-1 bed light bar installed on that new Ford body as an added nostalgic detail!

I almost decided not to put that on the new body(which probably will get the living daylights punished out of it, because when I drive these things, I drive them hard!). It's a shame to break a rare part like that, which is in a mint condition btw, but after all I'm planning to drive the truck, and not trying to restore it to it's original glory!

I might upload some Mad Force bashing videos my buddy took just before the rear axle broke, but those vids are still in his iphone...
Old 06-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
SuperShafty.com

sounds goo on the vid man.

i did notice that old roll bar on the new body. its a good setup you have with that too. i like that shade of orange a lot
Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #6

Mailman brought the first package today, and inside it was some Ofna Monster Blazer wheels, a couple spare glow plugs and some orange color coded servo horns just for the looks!

And to every kid reading this who's been growing up in the world full of crappy looking low profile rc monster tires and bling bling chrome wheels, this is how rc monster truck wheels should look like! Plain white in color, and with some crazy offset!

More pics to follow when I find time to put some rubber on those wheels!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
SuperShafty.com

can't wait to see them on the truck!!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

a Fellow FIN ! What tires are You planing to use ? B&H's from RC4WD are totally worth checking in to.
CheapTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapTwin View Post
a Fellow FIN ! What tires are You planing to use ? B&H's from RC4WD are totally worth checking in to.
I'm gonna stick with the stocks, because they are the best looking ones in my opinion.

Maybe some cut Clod stock tires for the Force in the future...
Old 06-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Stocks are sweet, just got a set from Amainhobbies, here's how the two compare.
CheapTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #11

I finally had some time to get my hands dirty with the USA-1, but I didn't do much worth mentioning, but at least there's new great looking wheels on it now!

The poor thing is just missing some new rear swing shafts, and when I receive those, I can drive it again a little. Can't wait!

Here's the new wheel compared to old ones. There's no Mega Force wheel included because the only one's I have have a tire on them, but they have basically the same offset as the USA-1 wheels. The red line indicates the wheel mounting surface.

Yes, I found the USA-1 wheels also, but you can see what condition they are in... The Ofna wheel is also a slightly bigger in diameter than the Kyosho ones.

And here's a on truck comparison pic with the Mega Force wheel.

And all the posing pics!

If you were thinking what is that red rig under the USA-1, here it is.

Last edited by Paul4x4; 06-11-2011 at 03:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:30 AM   #12
RCC Addict

USA-1 looks great. Love the madforce too. It's the kit version right?
BTW what is that brown fury thing humping the snorkel on the Samy???
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
USA-1 looks great. Love the madforce too. It's the kit version right?
BTW what is that brown fury thing humping the snorkel on the Samy???
Thanks!

Yeah, the Mad Force is the original kit version.

And that weird hairy guy on the snorkel is just some goofy troll I zip tied to it many years ago It used to be black, but it's faded to brown over the years