Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: IF...I were to make custom length dog bones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default IF...I were to make custom length dog bones?

I am about to start (finally) a tuber build. The 1:1 vehicle I am reproducing is very narrow (pix below). Tuber may be as narrow as 11" front and rear with a 16.75" wheelbase.

My questions are as follows:

I can make the bones from hardened steel, stainless or titanium.......which would be the best choice?

Now also I need to take in to account that I want somewhat of a "fuseable" link that will break and be easy and somewhat inexpensive to replace. So titanium, I would think be much stronger that steel or stainless, but I don't want to be stripping ring and pinions!!

The diffs have Maximizer lockers, HPI 9010/9009 helical R & P's, turning JPS lightweight 2.5" wheels with Imex K-Rocks on stock MF outers. Now knowing that are there any suggestions as to where or what I should leave or modify to be the weak link?

I was wanting to go with RC Alloy bones but they are a bit to long........so I have given in to the fact that I may just as well make up say a dozen bones (gotta have spares), all the same length, so that replacing would be easy in the event that I should break one or two or .......

Let the comments begin...........Thanks, Kerry
Attached Images

Last edited by kerrywittig; 04-28-2007 at 12:45 AM.
kerrywittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

RC alloys can cut custom bones for you just as easy as any other length. I suggest your "fuse" be in the form of a slipper clutch or spur gear. Your not gonna blow diffs in those axles without serious power and abuse.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
RC alloys can cut custom bones for you just as easy as any other length. I suggest your "fuse" be in the form of a slipper clutch or spur gear. Your not gonna blow diffs in those axles without serious power and abuse.
So I won't need to worry about breakage it sounds like, since they were built correctly........excellent.

As for RC Alloy I may get a quote and see what they can provide.....and at what cost.

Thanks for the insight John, much appreciated...........Kerry
Old 04-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Fuse-able link.....in a properly built Twin/Mad axle..... You'll shear the spur teeth off,melt the center out of the spur or twist the Revo shafts in two before that.

I'm running a 2 horsepower out runner on 10 cells. When my slipper was locked,I'd shear teeth off a maxx spur without even trying. Now that I'm back to running a slipper clutch,I melt the centers out of the spurs and still eat the teeth at times. Really the only consumables my truck sees is maxx spurs and slipper pads. I normally carry 5 or 6 gears and slipper pads in my toolbox all the time. The stock dogbones handle it very well. Spares are a good thing to have but it won't be a problem. I think I twisted 2 dogbones last year. They also had allot of mileage on them before going to the BIG power I have now. Running 8 1/2" tires also.

Helical cut gears are the best way to go. Once they are shimmed up right,you won't have to worry about them again. What ratio is the HPI gear set? Kyosho offers 3.3 and 4.3 ratios that are helical cut and will drop right in. Just curious if there is a different option out there.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Slipper clutches and spur gears?.........So your not running lockers?

The helicals are 4.3:1..............$28 shipped.

Correct me if I wrong here with my assumption of no lockers? Where are the clutch and the spur gears located? Newbie here...........

Is the slipper like an "LSD / Limited Slip Diff"?

Or is this a transmission type setup? I'm using an RC4WD R1 with a 3025-8 Hyperion motor.

Breakin' or twisted Revo shafts would be fine as a fusible link...easy to change out...
Old 04-29-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

He has his diffs locked, I have watched the vids. Since you will be running the R1 tranny you wont have a slipper or "spur" gear. The slipper is basically a rubber pad that grips the spur gear. When a shock load hits the drivetrain it slips instead of trasmitting the force all the way back to the motor (and causing breakage if you have a powerful motor)

Your weak link will probably be the revo shafts with an R1 tranny and MF axles.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Revo's are cheap and easy to replace...........fuseable link is in place then..............done!!