Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Kyosho Crawlers

Notices

Thread: T/F One way bearing and more?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default T/F One way bearing and more?

Just got my Twin Force yesterday, and started putting it together. Have a few questions. I searched a little, (granted not a whole lot) and didn't find what I'm looking for.

1: I've heard tell Kyosho used parts that interchanged. And someone said to ge the strong sidegears? If I JB weld, the diffs, (Well, actually Urethane, but does basically the same thing, and thats what I use at work) Should I still get the stronger sidegears? If so, from what vehicle?

2: What did you do to get rid of the one way bearing on the front output of the "transfer case"? I plan on drilling and using a set screw.

Any thing else a Twin Force virgin should know?

I plan on a future 4 link, lengthen, all the standard stuff, but for now I want o get to know it before messing with it too much.

Thanks. Jeff
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Well, after looking at the truck, I am going to use a differential imput (connects dogbone to pinion shaft, can't think of correct name) "cup" instead, just have to modify the shaft for the set screw. This will eliminate the oneway bearing on the front driveshaft.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:59 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

That is the correct way to eliminate the one way drive cup. When you say "sidegears" are you meaning the spidergears that are inside the diff or the actual ring and pinion? If your meaning the spidergears inside the diff,don't bother if your locking it up with JB or your urathane whatever.

Running an open diff,not locked solid,it's better to get the stronger steel gears and run 4 instead of the factory 2 aluminum gears. If your locking it up solid,they won't turn inside the diff anymore so it's pointless to get the better gears or run 4 instead of the factory 2 gear set up.

I would though HIGHLY reccommend getting the steel ring and pinions for both axles. The factory aluminum gears won't last to long with lower gears and bigger tires in the rocks. Running factory gears and tires just bashing around in the grass they'll last a little longer but if your locking it up,I'd probly get the steel gears before locking it up. Theres a few options on the steel gears but IMHO the best and cheapest route is the Helical cut gear set . They might require a little shimming to keep them from popping but I believe they are stronger than the straight cut gear,I know they are cheaper and (if your concerned) they'll run quieter and probly more efficient.

I run these gears in mine,I run it hard,it's locked front and rear,it weights a ton and I'm running Kongs and I've NEVER had an ounce of trouble with breaking gears or axles. The only gears I've ever stripped was the main gear in my GD600,but there plastic.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 06:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Awesome, thanks a ton! I will probably run the stock ones for a bit, I am still building the truck and don't plan on going big yet. Kyosho messed up and sent 3 left "hub carriers" and one right. So I'm waiting on a reply from Great Plains about it so I can finish it.

After spending $450 getting the necessary stuff, If I spent another $50, my wife would shoot me!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman
Kyosho messed up and sent 3 left "hub carriers" and one right. So I'm waiting on a reply from Great Plains about it so I can finish it.

:? :? :? The owners manual calls the "hub carriers" the outer side pieces of the axle housing. All four of mine were the same,you just twist them accordingly to whatever side of the houseing it's going on.

Even at that,I ordered some spares a while back from my LHS. The guy said the only ones available at the time was the left rear. Going by the part numbers,he was right,only the certain one was available. I said O.K.,order me 4 of those. He got a real confused look on his face and I explained they were all the same,you just twist them around and flip them over accordingly to which side it's going on. The order came in and later when I needed them they all worked great.

I'd double check your parts,I believe you should be able to use what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman
After spending $450 getting the necessary stuff, If I spent another $50, my wife would shoot me!
Thats whats so great about having a little shoe money. Every mans gotta set a few bucks back every once in a while for a "rainy day" so to speak. A while back,I was cleaning my truck out and got a pile of coins from the ash tray and center consoul. I cashed them in at the bank and got $182 that went directlt to my "shoe money" account. I was litteraly amazed that that much change was floating around in my truck. I went directly to the LHS the next day and cashed in on some much needed supplies

Whats cool about it though,every once in a while I'll get my wife something with my "shoe money" account. She'll say "where did you get the money?" and I'll say that "I've been saving up my spare change for a while to get this for you". Son,I'm telling you what,it makes the value of that particular gift triple in value,nomatter what it is. I'll just say this,the rewards are normally VERY "fruitfull" if you know what I mean.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote