Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Wheels for a Willy's Jeep?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wheels for a Willy's Jeep?

Anyone know of a producer or vendor who sells an appropriate 2.2 wheel for a Willy's Jeep conversion? I want alloy wheels, but as long as they look era-correct and hold up well, I guess it doesn't matter what they are made of.

Thanks!
Jason
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I've seen a few of these builds with Alum Landies from RC4WD. Is this what you were looking for?

http://www.rc4wdshop.com/go/product_...roducts_id=523
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks! They are probably as close as I will find to the original wheels, so unless someone else knows of some exact copies of the Jeep wheel, I'll get those.

I appreciate your help!
Jason
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I also saw these Humvee wheels:

http://www.rc4wdshop.com/go/product_...roducts_id=720

Maybe if I install the bolts inward so that only the heads show and add some center caps over the lock nut, they would more closely resemble the original.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/t...sJeepWheel.jpg
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

2.2 Wheels For 1:6 Willys Jeep?
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana.matt View Post

Just curious, did Bartos charge the usual amount for the wheels or is there any sur-charges involved? I just narrowed some plastic Imex wheels and I narrowed some Flat Irons for my Willys, and I'm not happy with the results of either one.

Just for giggles, I mounted up some Chisels on RC4WD comp wheels, they fill the wheel wells nicely and scale out to about a 33" tall tire, I just have NO turning radius with them.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Just curious, did Bartos charge the usual amount for the wheels or is there any sur-charges involved? I just narrowed some plastic Imex wheels and I narrowed some Flat Irons for my Willys, and I'm not happy with the results of either one.

Just for giggles, I mounted up some Chisels on RC4WD comp wheels, they fill the wheel wells nicely and scale out to about a 33" tall tire, I just have NO turning radius with them.
I have no idea He was just asking what thread the wheels were in and who made them. I believe these are the ones he's looking for. For my Willys build, I'm just going to go with RC4WD black steelies with my reduced 2.2 Rok Lox for now. I may look into the Spooky's at some point, though
I remember reading on another build that the guy had to move the front axle out a little because he had a hard time getting the steering he wanted....
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post

Those rims are on my willys. You can send a pm to Rockcrusher on this site http://nostr.net/forums/index.php He made them for me. I think it was like $40.
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If your still looking for wheels, send me a photo of what your looking for and I can quote you a one off set.

Regards,
Chuck
CadToChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadToChrome View Post
If your still looking for wheels, send me a photo of what your looking for and I can quote you a one off set.

Regards,
Chuck
Hi Chuck, I need a set of custom wheels. May I also send a picture and request for a quote?
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I just thought I'd throw a random thought in here, because it's been bugging me since I received my 1/6th Jeep.

I know everyone uses 2.2"s, and there are some great looking Jeeps on here and elsewhere, but in 1/6th, 2.2"s are just a touch over 13" scaled up.

I've been trying to find tall rubber for 2.8"s, but no luck....

That's all. I'll suck it up and use 2.2"s like everyone else but I just had to put it out there
Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #12
RCP CRAWLERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker View Post
I just thought I'd throw a random thought in here, because it's been bugging me since I received my 1/6th Jeep.

I know everyone uses 2.2"s, and there are some great looking Jeeps on here and elsewhere, but in 1/6th, 2.2"s are just a touch over 13" scaled up.

I've been trying to find tall rubber for 2.8"s, but no luck....

That's all. I'll suck it up and use 2.2"s like everyone else but I just had to put it out there

I just changed my tires to 2.2 rock crushers, I have lost a lot of crawling ability.... but with the weight of these jeeps and scale goodies, the soft tires, colapse under it's own weight and creates no ground clearence under the diff.
now I have ground clearence and a stiff sidewall ....really helps with the steering. no more push

I have run... flat irons, panthers, chisels and hammers all of them tend to "roll under" when turning and side hilling. you can stuff them (which i did) it helps on the "roll under" but you lose a lot of the tire's ability.

the best tire, out of our group of willys, is the 2.2 rok lox.... stuffed.
They still tend to "roll under" a little, but they hook up great and give you the diff clearence needed. narrow and tall.....seems to scale best.

my videos show all the different tires I've tried.
you can see for yourself and make the choice thats right for you.
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote