Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Help with Drivetrain!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 02:37 PM   #1

Default Help with Drivetrain!

Hi Guys, looking for a few opinions on this build, what i have is: Wk locked axle's,
HoBoa rubber on the Wk rims,
And a 50t venom motor,
All this is to fit under a MGT size Proline F650 body,
im still in the process of deciding on a frame shape, but what i am sue about is it will be made from square alu rod 10mmx10mm. There's no doubt it is going to be strong/brute like as im building it to last and want it to take everything i can ever throw at it, Im not sure how heavy it will be after everythings in but i need as many opinions as possible for a drivetrain for this beast, i was looking at a ax10 tranny but after looking at a few other big rig build threads im not so sure :? . Im pretty sure no one will have heard of these tyres so for a referance point there just smaller than stock Wk tyres bay half an inch maby?. ive got a pretty low budget and all parts should be available here in the UK if possibe but im open to all suggestions! Thanks for all your help. Reaper
Reaper09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well assuming that you still have the original WK tranny, use that.
Though you should get steel gears for that...which are hard to find.
I would count more on axial tranny with steel lockouts and maybe even steel gears.
Also MIP driveshafts and axle shafts. You should definitely have a slipper on the gearbox...which axial already has.(no modification)

Oh and almost forgot. If you have the WK axles and want to run the axial tranny.
You either use the WK driveshafts(if you dont want to upgrade) or the MIPs.
When running WK shafts you must modify one end to match the axial tranny output.
But when running MIPs you must use the axial gears in the axle.(bevel gear and that other one)
tarmo120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

i looked some time ago for steel Wk gears and found mixed opinions about them, but sa they don't make them anymore i can't take that route, I do want to use my Wk axles as with my wheel&tyre combo they sit a perfect width under the 650 body,
So from what i can gather i SHOULD use an AX10 tranny? i can fab somthing to make the ends fit aswell so thats not a problem.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Any updates?
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #5

well since i cant get a straight answer from anyone about my original question i have decided myself to use an ax10 tranny, and have sofar sourced a company that sell them for £30 , since then i have been building up my GF's crawler 1/8 scale and just ned to make a few pieces to finish it, times my problem! , do you have any ideas?, i have a very large ford f650 proline shell supposed to be 1/8 scale but its more like 1/7 or 1/6, im using my wk axles and shocks as well as making a alu chassi, including winch + lights,
Old 05-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

A TXT or Emaxx tranny should hold up fine as well if you can find one on the cheap.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #7

ok, i shal look for one of those, size is not really a problem , but somthing with a slipper would be nice, also durability is a MUST!!