Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Jeep build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 AM   #1

Default 1/6 TJ build

I had this 1:6 Nylint Jeep that Ive been wanting to build a massive scaler with it. I have a Summit that Ive been wanting to do something different whith it also. So I looked around to see what everyone was doing with a maxx diff and saw that most of the ones Ive seen, the maxx diff was exposed. I didnt think that wouldnt work the best for mine so I thought up a way to completely encase the T-lock diff from the Summit in a solid live axle. I want to be able to lock and unlock the diffs and still have the solid axle like a jeep has. Im going to use the 2speed transmission from the summit as well. I plan on using square steel to make the frame out of. Im going to use scale4x4 mudslinger tires with 40 series wheels. That will equal out to a 42inch tire to scale. This is what Ive got so far.

The look that Im going for.

The start of the front axle.

I will try to take pictures through out the process. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by gijoe63b; 03-02-2011 at 12:32 AM.
gijoe63b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i also thot of this but couldnt get the larger nylint body--did get the smaller one for my merv tho--looks great so far
Burned Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

Got a little bit more done to the axle. soldered the joints and ready to put the axle shafts on

Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

I worked on it some more today and got a little done on it. Ive got the front left corner all done. Ive just got to grind the edges down and make it look pretty and cut a driveshaft

More updates and pictures later.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Looking good I am going to build a solid rear axle for my truck with a e-MADD diff but wasn't fer sure how. The pics are sweet thanks a lot
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #6

I haven't built a whole lot lately but I did get some more material. I got some 1/2in steel square channel to do to frame rails. I took a couple of mock up pictures of the body and wheels. I will try to get back to it soon. I'm really looking forward to this build a lot. I'm going to try to put as much detail as I can into it.

I found this and thought this would be something close to what I'm wanting maybe not quite so wild maybe.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

i finally got both nylint bodies jeep and scorpion---i will be following this thread---wish i could make some solid axles but since i cant---will be watching yours---
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #8

I've been messing around some with the jeep today. I drilled holes and got my headlights and tail lights to work in the body. I won't glue them till I get it painted, and I'm painting after I know everything works together. I'm going to run the lights off of its own system so it won't draw any power from my ESC. I just cut the frame rails and getting started on it. I don't have any pictures yet but I will soon post some.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #9

I got more done on the front axle. Made the other end and got it all together.

This is what I was going for

Got a prity good start on the frame too.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

im working off the stock setup with mine---

but the body is on my JOKER build--and its just a mock up---really like your setup your working on---i might make mine a stretched 4ws off stock chassis---
dont have the skill or resources you have---what you do see is all the wb i can get with stock rear arms on both ends--
but here is my thread of projects im working on
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...79#post2968579
Old 03-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #11

Update time. I got to looking at the frame and axle together and noticed that if I kept the frame rails straight, my tires wouldn't have any room to move and still turn. So I bent them to clear the tires and prity much redid the whole frame. I've got one shock hoops cut but not mounted yet. I'm going to have dual steering servos mounted to the chassis. I've got to get more material to finish the other 3. I will put a skid plate on the belly next.

More to come.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #12

I've made some progress since my last update. I made a cover for the diff housing so the front axle is done. I've made my shock hoops and found that my skid plate was too long in the front. So I cut it and shortened everything up, now everything will clear. I've got my aluminum rod to do on links, I want to get the body mounted to frame before I make my links, that way I can line everything up real good. No pictures right now but I will post some soon.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #13

any pics of the completed axles?
rickthejetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #14

Got some pictures taken so here you go.

Completed solid T-lock axle

Lights
Old 03-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #15

I worked a lot on the jeep last night and got a good bit done. I finished the back shock hoops and got them bolted on. I also put some body mounts on. I took two back mounts off of a Revo. I also mounted the esc too.

More to come soon.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

looks awesome, I have both the 1/6 Jeep and the Scorpion. I really want to do the same thing that you are doing, so its some good inspiration. My only concern are the axles. I understand what you did making them look scale, but are there any axles out there that could work even if they don't look scale? Might be a better option for me down the road when I tackle this thing. I'll be following this thread, keep it up
YJJPWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJJPWrangler View Post
looks awesome, I have both the 1/6 Jeep and the Scorpion. I really want to do the same thing that you are doing, so its some good inspiration. My only concern are the axles. I understand what you did making them look scale, but are there any axles out there that could work even if they don't look scale? Might be a better option for me down the road when I tackle this thing. I'll be following this thread, keep it up
I did the axles that way not only to be scale but I wanted the T-lock off the summit. As far as some normal axles, I've seen people use all kinds of axles just depends on your body and what you want.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

yea i have both vehicles also---have been following this thread---also thinking of making one---dont have skills or resources for the frame and axles---you have an amazing build---are you making templates? as you build??? would you be willing to share templates???
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Up View Post
yea i have both vehicles also---have been following this thread---also thinking of making one---dont have skills or resources for the frame and axles---you have an amazing build---are you making templates? as you build??? would you be willing to share templates???
Thanks Burned Up. I am making templates for all the sheet metal but the frame pieces I am actually drawing everything out to scale on a notebook pad and just matching the drawing. The axle on the other hand took a little bit more work than just drawing it out. First I had to draw it out and then I too some thin cardboard and made a full scale model of what I wanted to make sure everything would line up right. It sounds harder than it really is. I will take lots and lots of picture when I build the back axle. As far as sharing templates, besides an in person exchange is the only way I know to do it. But I can help you out as much as I can.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

im waiting on body posts and rear arms for my summit...and i can finish the stock summit based version---instead of the awesomeness you are building---mine is running tekin 1700 kv truggy system and swamp kongs--i also got a mini summit nylint jeep painted the same---i need to get some swamp dogs for it---i got traxxas bfg's on it at moment---they look pretty wicked