Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Large scale model trains.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Large scale model trains.

I stopped by a local scale model train show today just to see what's new with the hobby. I used to be active in it but stopped a while ago, right after I got an AX-10......

There was a modular layout using 45 mm gauge track to represent 3' narrow gauge, so the train models are 1:20.3 in scale. I've always loved the Colorado narrow gauge railroads ( the Durango and Silverton and the Cumbres and Toltec)

This club was using plastic Bachmann locomotives, nicely weathered to look the part. The rolling stock was mostly flat cars, high and low side gondolas and a few oil tankers. I'm hoping to stop by again tomorrow and get a few more pics. The layout wasn't anything to get excited about, these guys were more focused on the trains.

This is a model of a Baldwin C-19, The detail was really nice and it ran really smoothly. There was a model of a K-27, it was made of brass and steel parts. The guy I spoke with said it cost upwards of $5K ! I'll never bitch again about forking over $80 for a new TorqueMaster.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Large scale model trains.

I've had layouts in HO and O scale. Some people bitch about how expensive r/c is...get into trains and you'll really experience what spending money on a "toy" hobby is about. I was lucky that I was limited with space for the layouts. My father-in-law has track all throughout his basement. That looks like G scale Baldwin. $5K for one loco is crazy!!
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Why does this thread exist?
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It's in the wrong section if anything.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
DVS
Pebble Pounder

DVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang View Post
Why does this thread exist?
Because it can.

Is it really that big a deal to you? If you're not interested just move on...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

well they are large scale ........just happen to be locomotives instead
viper6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I just checked back here... I didn't think posting this would get someone's panties twisted up in a knot.

I went back on Sunday and took more pics. The opportunities for super detailing are endless at this scale level, and just to tie these trains into the RC section a bit more, they all run off of 14.4V Lithium Ion battery packs and RC transmitters!

Apparently this modular layout travels the country and local clubs all volunteer to set it up and run their personal equipment on it.

Here's that big $$ locomotive. It's all brass and steel. Absolutely beautiful model, the sound system plays back sound bites from the real locomotive that still runs around in the hills of Southern Colorado.

I think everyone should attend a scale model train show, it's a great source for inspiration if you enjoy scratch build RC bodies or accessories. Everyone will be more than happy to share ideas and techniques with you.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Kalm down guys! I see yall love your trains. Its just that this is supposed to be a rc (radio conrolled) crawler (offroad) site. And apparently there is a section for noncrawler stuff. What would happen if i went to pirate and started a thread about how i went to an arts and crafts show? As for them being large scale, i rode a bigger one with my 3yr old at a wine festival last year.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Kalm down guys! I see yall love your trains. Its just that this is supposed to be a rc (radio conrolled) crawler (offroad) site. And apparently there is a section for noncrawler stuff. What would happen if i went to pirate and started a thread about how i went to an arts and crafts show? As for them being large scale, i rode a bigger one with my 3yr old at a wine festival last year.
I hear ya, and I'm stretching things a bit, but does it really get anymore off-road than a narrow gauge railroad in the mountains of Colorado? These models are large scale, by model train standards, and they are RC operated. And for the record, this isn't Pirate, ( Thank goodness) so we can all enjoy some alternative sources of inspiration.

Most of the people in this forum ( large scale models) are into scratch building and they are always looking for ideas. The model railroad community is a great source for techniques. These guys have been scratch building way before any RC cars were roaming the earth.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Touche`
truckbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What would happen if i went and started a thread about how i went to an arts and crafts show?
Smack you upside the head with your transmitter!
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Why is it mustang people always bitch about shit. If you don't think they are cool then kick rocks buddy.

These thing have a ton of details

One more thing mustang. If you don't help support the forum stay alive why would you have any say at all what gets posted here?
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyCrawler View Post
Why is it mustang people always bitch about shit. If you don't think they are cool then kick rocks buddy.

These thing have a ton of details

One more thing mustang. If you don't help support the forum stay alive why would you have any say at all what gets posted here?
You are too many days late to the discussion as the issue is seemingly squashed. It is far too old (to me) to bring back up. I dont wanna ruin the thread. Enjoy the trains.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #15

It is very nice to see large scale train model here. I was searching about some useful place and found this Community. After viewing many threads i found it more interesting for me as i love to build it my own.

Last edited by LukeRex; 02-12-2014 at 04:22 AM.
LukeRex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boring, snore

Large scale model trains. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
large scale axle question from a tenth scale guy... summervillecrawler Large Scale Rigs 6 02-02-2012 06:49 AM
LARGE scale R/C's! Very LARGE! CBR Chit Chat 9 04-16-2009 11:55 AM