Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Big Jerp is back

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 03:08 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Big Jerp is back

Took it out for a shake down, the front suspension works a bit better. I need to play with spring rates if I keep the Axial shocks up front but it wasn't bad..

I think I finally cooked the old Tekin FSR speed control. I was winching up a steep hill with the Tzi World winch literally dragging the tires against the drag brake when all of a sudden the jeep shut down but the winch was still trying to reel in. I didn't see/smell any magic smoke but I guess it's still possible.

The ravine at my friend Bobs house ( where the BobRox events are held) playing follow the leader w/ Bob. He finally got his Jerp running again today.

Favorite pic of the day, it's also where I killed the FXR

Last edited by BigSki; 05-05-2018 at 03:11 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Looking good! And I agree, that last pic is great.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:50 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I got out to the Bob Rocks location for a bit of trail riding today. Apparently the area had 9" of rain in 1 hour last night, the pics Bob showed me of the water level and velocity were just unbelievable, the ravine where we've held comps, scale events and just some fun trail riding has been completely washed out. There is absolutely NOTHINg left from the old terrain, it's devastated.

I got a bit of time with the Willys where I could squeeze around new boulders. I have some new homemade foams and some new chinquish wheels to break in.

Last edited by BigSki; 06-08-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Great to see these come back builds. More inspiration for my big builds. Looking forward to seeing it progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs10man View Post
Great to see these come back builds. More inspiration for my big builds. Looking forward to seeing it progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad that someone is still enjoying these old threads that keep chugging along.

This is still my favorite RC vehicle, hands down. I'm at a point with it where I feels there's not much left to modify with it, it's just a 'run it as is' vehicle that starting to need a lot of maintenance due to worn out components that are no longer available to buy service parts.

Here's a peek at the last round of long overdue maintenance- the front axle. Every bearing was shot, the axle shaft u-joints are starting to have the pins back out, my original axle tubes had the mounting threads so worn out everything was loose ( C's and hubs) so I decided to start with that.

I made some replacements over a few days during my lunch break at work. My original tubes were 6061 aluminum, the new ones are made from 1018 steel, I couldn't find enough "scrap" 4140 chromoly..

2 of the bigger worn out components is the rc4wd Disruptor T-case. It's the one that had gear reduction. The gears are badly worn but the parts are NLA, so Ill need to figure out the best solution for that. The other component is the old JR Z9100T is just worn out. It's been rebuilt twice over the past 10 years, it's time to buy something with more punch and has repair parts available.

Last edited by BigSki; 06-08-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Big Jerp is back - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Jerp MudHoncho 1.5 Scale Rigs 3 01-13-2016 05:20 AM
Big Oly is coming back neillarson 2.2 Scale Rigs 8 02-21-2012 08:20 PM
Big back yard, sunk in the creek adventures! carried away General Crawlers 15 01-26-2012 10:26 PM
Big Evil`s Back! RampageFSJ XTM Crawler 0 06-15-2005 06:41 PM