Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: #16 1/8 Marksman TC8 x Tundra Stepside!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2024, 06:35 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: #16 1/8 Marksman TC8 x Tundra Stepside!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I can't speak for Ferp, but I used the stock links, just switched rod ends at the axle side front and rear. The Redcat stock ones are way wide. Haven't had any issues.

You the man!

I actually did that same thing just so everything can be bolted on and even though I have the panhard aligned decently, I'm getting binding on the stock servo setup. I have an aftermarket aluminum piece that relocates the servo stored somewhere that I didn't use on my Gen8 4Runner build so I'm gonna toy around with that later on.

I was surprised it bolted on and alignment was pretty good, I just moved the links back to the stock middle settings on the chassis.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2024, 07:21 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I was building buggies for other people so I didn't have any wheel wells to deal with
other than swapping pivot balls on the rod ends I dident do anything different
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 12:35 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Boom Racing order came in. Their lead time was about a week which is pretty good (I don't recall it being this fast before). Zero offset 5 bolt hubs (unfortunately these wheels can't be had in 6 bolt) compared to the stock 4mm. The pins are incorporated into the hub which eliminates the hex, cool. Also bought some scale hardware from them. Just need to chop the axle shafts to fit scale lockers/covers over the wheel nuts.

I'd say this is scale off-road tire fitment right here.

To fit the rears on with the new hubs, I had to hollow out the holes in the hubs slightly larger (3/16") to fully seat onto the pins. And since the hubs are very narrow, the unthreaded axle shaft becomes more exposed which you can't bolt the wheel on without a spacer. Boom Racing provides them with their wheels, but that also meant I had to grind down the shaft up to the pin holes. Not a problem. And the fronts were untouched for the AR60s.

Just check out that new steering angle. Looks so good.

Here's some reference pics of the AR60 with panhard setup.

As mentioned in the previous post somewhere, the stock links were reused and oddly enough they work good enough. I had the front lower links in the last hole settings before the axle swap, but then moved them to the middle holes. This made up for the slightly wider mounting positions on the 60, but the ball ends also had to be swapped out to prevent binding (I had some circular ball ends laying around). And same thing for the upper link.

With the aftermarket aluminum servo relocation mount, it freed up room for articulation although the drag link is a tad shorter with this setup. No complaints, and the servo mount is also now more stout than stock.

Here you could see the panhard mount, as the link is mounted in front of it rather than the intended in-between. This prevents from having to use a bent link to clear the truss, but also helps better alignment to the chassis mount.

Still used the leaf shackle which is perfect.

Next:
Modify front flares
Electronics (stock setup makes for nice spares)
2spd conversion
Hack up inner fenders
Lights
Paint/details
Old 04-01-2024, 03:28 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

This is cool. I like how it is coming together. Nice fix for the panhard link and mounts.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 06:53 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I was going to say something about the front and rear axle ratios thinking the Redcats are pretty off compared to the Axial, but hell - I'm totally wrong. The Redcat axles are 2.91 - perfect if you've got the stock ratio in the Axial (2.67) It's just a slight bit of front OD. That works out well.

Truck looks great! Love the wheel and tire combo.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 08:09 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
This is cool. I like how it is coming together. Nice fix for the panhard link and mounts.
I need more time! Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I was going to say something about the front and rear axle ratios thinking the Redcats are pretty off compared to the Axial, but hell - I'm totally wrong. The Redcat axles are 2.91 - perfect if you've got the stock ratio in the Axial (2.67) It's just a slight bit of front OD. That works out well.

Truck looks great! Love the wheel and tire combo.
I forgot to mention that as well. The 60 is overdriven, and one revolution left the rear somewhere in the 10 o'clock area. This is definitely going to be more of a trail truck and maybe even tow rig, and I might just play around with the stock 60 gears back in it.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:20 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

As of Sunday morning around 4am to visit Sacramento RC Fest, she's tuned and a runner! Here's the parts I installed.

I wanted to go with a Hobbywing AXE R2 550 3300kv before this event but went with what was on hand at the LHS. Trusty Mamba X to go with what I had in the parts bin, a Holmes Puller Pro V2 2700kv.

Stock vs 2spd transmission. It pushes that battery tray back an inch or so, so I figured using this shorty style 3S 4200mah lipo would play a small weight bias part.

As for the 2spd kit install, in my case and given the time crunch I used the Gen8 slider trays that is included. I did not have to swap out the skid. There's 2 little pockets in the kit skid that I couldn't find out why they are there but not necessary for me.

And a few trail shots. As far as capability, it's pretty damn good with taking the stock bumpers into consideration! Stock Pro-Line foams did help on some hooks but I think I want to experiment with some CI dual stage 4.5's. And this long wheel base played a HUGE part in tackling lines that one would think otherwise. Absolutely in love with this rig and I think I want to throw a tow hitch on it to make it an official tow rig. 2spd also made it fun blasting around and seeing the suspension absorb bumps etc. I haven't touched the stock shock oil but it performed great so no reason to swap.

To do list:
- cut down axle shafts to cover wheel nuts (too long)
- chop up inner fenders front & rear
- Full Size Invasion decals
- hitch
- Crawler Innovations 4.5 dual stage foams
- light kit
Old 04-09-2024, 12:28 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Goro, look forward some more mods and updates.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:59 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
Looking good Goro, look forward some more mods and updates.
Appreciate it man! I remember you sent me those 4Runner pieces and I need to touch on that build soon.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, this rig is an official tow rig! This body was made to find it's way to myself and the more I drive this thing with other 1/10s makes me love the size of it since it's a full size. I think I'm gonna grab a Vanquish plastic bumper set and trim down the rear bumper to create my own receiver (kinda like how I did the TRX4 bumper on my 80 series build), and another H-Tech drop hitch. In the picture I just bolted my old hitch directly to the Marksman bumper with some spacers.

As for the rig on the trailer, that's my GSpeed V4 build that I need to update it's thread badly.

Aftermath of it's 2nd outing. 2nd gear runs through lightly muddy puddles. It needs a bath!

If you haven't noticed, it's sitting lower. The front spring collars are set at half instead of max height, rear cantilever links to the axle are installed on the lower links mounts instead of the stock shock location. This is the initial look I was going for, but even though the sidehilling capability is better, the ground clearance was absolutely missed. Rear bumper was snagging on everything. So next I will tighten the rear spring collars all the way down to see if I can get close to what the height was before (without moving the shock links back to stock) and put the fronts back to max height. Also threw on limiter straps to prevent the axle from dangling too far.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:52 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

this is a good looking rig
I would reinforce the front and rear bumpers if ya plan on keeping them
oh and I already stole your panhard bar mount idea lol works good I had to do a bit of trimming though but it works good

Last edited by ferp420; 04-16-2024 at 08:56 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 06:58 AM   #31

This is a great build. Nice job!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 07:49 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
this is a good looking rig
I would reinforce the front and rear bumpers if ya plan on keeping them
oh and I already stole your panhard bar mount idea lol works good I had to do a bit of trimming though but it works good

Hell yeah Ferp. I like how you modified it to be secure with the frame.

I was thinking on trying to snag another body for spare stuff like the bumpers. And when I do give this a paint job, it'll be a total refresh so all the scratches will be gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
This is a great build. Nice job!
Thank you Jato!

#16 1/8 Marksman TC8 x Tundra Stepside! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JimK's TC8 Marksman EDTT j.krug Redcat Crawlers 44 01-18-2024 06:55 AM
Redcat TC8 Marksman - Overdrive/Underdrive JimK General Crawlers 3 05-11-2023 10:26 AM
My Redcat Marksman Jaycex65 Redcat Crawlers 3 01-23-2022 10:17 PM
Redcat marksman Nogman Redcat Crawlers 10 07-23-2021 09:08 PM