Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 1/24 Losi Micro Crawler eye candy and tweaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #1

Thumbs up 1/24 Losi Micro Crawler eye candy and tweaks

Just got my Losi Micro Crawler this evening. This thing is a blast. Very fun and can conquer some things you would not expect from a 1/24th crawler.

I have ZERO complaints (so far) but I am never one to leave well enough alone…after running one pack through it I managed some quick “tweaks” and have some others planned.

Hey it’s for fun right?

Anyway, I call them tweaks as they can be easily undone and returned to stock format.

As you will notice none of these are tweaks revolutionary and have been applied for years to larger scale RC crawlers.

Similar to the MRC this 1/24 seems a lil top heavy. To attempt to improve to a lower CG I have:

Relocated the stock NiMH batt to the front servo (which is on the front axle). Just a bit of body rub if both front springs compress evenly…none during articulation though.

Next I put ¼ oz. sticky back lead weights inside the rims on all four corners. These fit really well with just a small trim/notch of the corners of the lead square. As you can tell by the picture that this is not very pleasing to the eye. I plan to counter sink the center of the lead square to allow them to recess further into the rim without hitting the wheel nut. Also a better job of notching or grinding should be done as well as a coat of paint or some black tape to make them match the truck.

I ran this set-up and it works very well (worked well before too).

My next tweaks are to get a LiPo batt (increased run time and more wheel speed)…maybe even one for a micro DT if I can make it fit….

Anyway…I just wanted to share my new rig.
Hankinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Heck they started shipping those? Nice to see somebody already got one and tweaked it.
Jealousy here!
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:46 AM   #3

Thanks! Yeah...my local hobby shop had my name tagged on one before they hit the door and called me when the truck arrived. They are great.

Just goes to show that you can't get everything quicker, better, faster, friendlier on the internet.

They stock a lot of losi micro parts and I assume plan to stock parts and hop ups for these too.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Batt looks like 4 cell NiMh => 4.8v right? What lipo do you plan on using? I've seen on Losis' site an optional 7.4v lipo but will the esc handle it???
I have one on preorder from Amain, hopefully I'll get it by the end of the month. I wish there was some kind of LHS that stocked anything Losi related around here.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
Batt looks like 4 cell NiMh => 4.8v right? What lipo do you plan on using? I've seen on Losis' site an optional 7.4v lipo but will the esc handle it???
Correct... 4 cell MiMh 4.8 stock with the truck. The manual says nothing of a 2s lipo (i havent read it word for word though) but the other micros handle them (i think) and in the interview with the Losi rep at iHobby he mentions the esc does handle lipo and has a cut-off.
Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-ZPgXwS-E

They make a 2S 180 Mah for the other micros that will fit in the micro crawler and a 2s 300 Mah for the Micro DT, obviously it's a little bigger form factor and may have some fitment issues.

I was also going to look around at all the other small 2s lipos out there....there are tons for small helicopters that may work too.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Talking cant wait till i get one

i just got done fully water proofing my mrc . cant wait to do it to the micro. then i can build a sick course out of expand foam on ply wood and paint on truck bed liner. what is the rim size? i hope they make a crawler and a scaler class for it
droopmodmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

they are selling them on ebay now fro 120 shipped!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Sweet, can we get a few videos of it crawling? I am tired of the same few videos on youtube.
nuke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #9

What's the run time on the stock battery? I can't wait to get one. With the demand for these things it could be awhile though.
rebel GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #10

got mine yesterday! fawkin awesome!! i just Velcroed my bat on the top of the rear axle plate. but fun as hell!
stoutcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel GMC View Post
What's the run time on the stock battery? I can't wait to get one. With the demand for these things it could be awhile though.
go to ebay! they got em!
kronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankinator View Post
Correct... 4 cell MiMh 4.8 stock with the truck. The manual says nothing of a 2s lipo (i havent read it word for word though) but the other micros handle them (i think) and in the interview with the Losi rep at iHobby he mentions the esc does handle lipo and has a cut-off.
Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-ZPgXwS-E

They make a 2S 180 Mah for the other micros that will fit in the micro crawler and a 2s 300 Mah for the Micro DT, obviously it's a little bigger form factor and may have some fitment issues.

I was also going to look around at all the other small 2s lipos out there....there are tons for small helicopters that may work too.
Great! I hope Amain will start shipping soon. I found some minium batts I had laying around. Time to solder a 2s!
Old 11-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Sr. Product Developer

Hi Guys, not sure how I missed it in the manual, but yes it will accept a 2S lipo pack.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #14

just made a little video clip kinda dumb but it took 2 sec

stoutcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post
go to ebay! they got em!
I don't see them at all. Oh well I'll wait. :-(
rebel GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

sure does sit high dont it! you should experiment with your ride height a little, maybe bring it down 1/4 inch...:?
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutcrawler View Post
just made a little video clip kinda dumb but it took 2 sec
actually it took you 34 sec but im just giving you shit

that thing looks fast
ROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
sure does sit high don't it! you should experiment with your ride height a little, maybe bring it down 1/4 inch...:?
Pictures and Videos don't tell the whole story. It may indeed be a bit high but you have to handle and drive this rig to understand why it's like it is. It's a fine balance of ground clearance and articulation that make it as capable as it is. When we tweak one we may adversely effect the other.

I haven't really looked at how to adjust ride height yet. I'm sure I will tweak this or that but I am going to run some more packs through it to get a better feel for the truck. It may not always be the truck, it might be the loose nut behind the transmitter :-P.

Also tweaking options are limited a little by the tiny size of the parts comparative to the 1/10th scale stuff that I am used to working with.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Can we get a photo with the body off?? Can't wait until mine comes in at my LHS
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #20

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these...

Who's going to be the first one to have a styrene model kit body on one?
jeffs396 is offline   Reply With Quote