Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: brushless motor options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default brushless motor options?

what options are there? I have heard about the feigao motors. Was wondering how well they work....5322kv or the 5866kv.... I have an brushless xcelorin esc from my micro-t.. will this esc work with these motos? I want to go brushless bc I seem to be getting a lot of heat from the stocker... esp after running 2-3 lipos through it back to back... For anyone that is running these, how is the low end speed control/ and wheel speed with these?
billysnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i run the fegaio 5322kv and it works flawlessly. the low speed control is a world above the stock brushed and i run mine with a losi 180mah 2s lipo with the largest pinion and the wheel speed went up 1-2 mph. its a great setup to have. but spend the money on a good esc, i run a quark 22 which has anti-cog effect, so it makes it able to run at super low speed without cogging and stuttering.
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i been wanting to try out the Losi 8750KV bl motor.... i wonder how that works
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I was messing this past weekend and i put the 10k kv losi 1/36th brushless moto in... Not good results, even with the largest pinion, still a ton of cogging at low speeds.. actually the crawler was really not even drivable at low "crawl" speeds... needless to say I pulled it out after 3 min.. not even fun...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub599 View Post
i run the fegaio 5322kv and it works flawlessly. the low speed control is a world above the stock brushed and i run mine with a losi 180mah 2s lipo with the largest pinion and the wheel speed went up 1-2 mph. its a great setup to have. but spend the money on a good esc, i run a quark 22 which has anti-cog effect, so it makes it able to run at super low speed without cogging and stuttering.
Yep I saw your thread. looks great! you are right about the esc suggestion.. My xcelorin esc works great for zipping around the house in my brushless micro-t but i am concerned that will not do very well in the crawler, even when paired with a feigao.. So quark 22 or Sidewinder micro?? that is the question.. i may be leaning towards the quark just bc i have never owned one.. had planty of castle products... where do i buy the quark and the feigao? I found the moto online, just not sure where I saw it..
Old 12-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysnarf View Post
I was messing this past weekend and i put the 10k kv losi 1/36th brushless moto in... Not good results, even with the largest pinion, still a ton of cogging at low speeds.. actually the crawler was really not even drivable at low "crawl" speeds... needless to say I pulled it out after 3 min.. not even fun...
you know you want to use the small pinion to reduce cogging not a larger one
Joeyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Hmm you are right about that... but I ran both, the 10t that came on it and then the 14t... both cogged equally to me.... it was like the moto just did not want to go slow... it was all or nothing... though i had great wheel speed, way too much...was fun for a few minutes watching it go fast... but thats what my micro-t is for...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

you can get the quark 22 from a guy on ebay named buyoptions. hes the only person selling them fora descent price.
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I am wondering how the EZRun 18A ESC would work, removed from the case it should be small enough, and way powerful enough to run a micro brushless motor
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I did a bunch of research into brushless micro ESCs, and the Quark 22 seems like the best overall... Lots of programming options for such a lil box... got a Turnigy 1230 (4500kV) coming from HobbyKing... Can't beat the price, i got 2 for under $20 CDN... found a Q22 for a decent price too... Can't wait to have Brushless+4WS!!!
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Give us an update when you get it installed. I recently picked up a 5A speed controller on clearance for about $7 and would love to pair it with an inexpensive BL motor.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

The quark is huge in these micros. Here is an ESC that is much smaller than the quark:

http://www.fmhobbies.com/servlet/the...ess-ESC/Detail

With the optional programming card it has lots of options. Just got one, but havent tried it yet...

Here is another motor that may work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I run the Feigao 4100 Kv with a MiniQLO esc and its great. No cogging, great control at low speed and lots of gearing options. With the smallest pinion and 56t spur it will have a top speed slightly lower than the standard micro with nimh batteries. Get almost 40 minutes run time of a 180 mah 2S lipo. No heat whatsoever

Just make sure you adjust the slipper clutch so that you dont snap the joints of the shafts when you get stuck...
Lorents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Give us an update when you get it installed. I recently picked up a 5A speed controller on clearance for about $7 and would love to pair it with an inexpensive BL motor.
I hope you picked one with reverse... I made the mistake of getting a Turnigy Plush 10A from HK ($9) and it didnt have reverse - no big deal i guess - it can go into my other Micro-T... The Quark actually has a smaller foorprint than the stock ESC/RX, it's just that u have to find somewhere to put a receiver afterward... Took me a while but i managed to stuff it all (Quark-Spektrum 3500-200mah lipo-wiring) under the stock body... made it a bit top heavy, so I wrapped solder wire around the inside of the rims (all 4) to keep it planted... It's got so much torque i can push my kitchen chairs around!!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Here are a few pics of my brushless convo... Quark Procar 22A ESC, Spektrum 3ch SR3500 rx, 200mah lipo, Tranny flip with 4500kV Turnigy 12mm brushless motor, Hitec 5055mg servo (soon to be 4WS), high-clearance links, weight in wheels...

Old 05-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I have a xcelerin 8750 in my scaler H2. Some fogging at low speed but it's still alittle to fast for crawling. I'm using the smallest pinion and a 56t spur gear.
willy1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

This Q22/4500 combo with 11t pinion/ stock spur lets me go a little slower than stock under minimum throttle and has WAY more torque... Max speed is about the same as stock, but much quieter... I even get longer runtimes with it now (about 30-35mins vs just over 25mins brushed) and it runs alot cooler too, the BL motor barely even gets warm, whereas the brushed motor got over 150 degrees on 2s lipo...... I mounted the ESC heatsink-down and it never even gets lukewarm (besides I like having the status LEDs showing thru a little window in the body)...
Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Hi, I have found the Quark ESC's, but are there other motors other than the feigao as I can only find one place that sells them?

I see people using different pinion gears too? Are they the same set as for the mini T
http://www.galaxymodels.co.uk/detail.asp?id=24029#lift

Or does it depend on the motor? If so, any ideas where I get them from? This is starting to look expensive and I may end up staying with the stock set-up at this rate!!! But, if brushless is better then I'm happy to go with it.

Last edited by Boos Boy; 06-09-2010 at 05:06 AM.
Boos Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Hey Boos -

I believe you've received one or two of your Micros already...have you tried any Lipo power yet?

I am rather pleased with a 2s Lipo and the stock motor (it's too much wheel speed sometimes for this little thing, with the smallest stock pinion that the rig comes with); the extra bit the motor gets from the Lipo is nice. I pondered the brushless thing, too, but as you said, "it's getting expensive." So if I may suggest, get a Lipo setup going before you invest in more electronics - you may just not see the "need." You could also try one of the higher tooth pinion gears the rig came with to increase the high-end.

But on the other hand, if your mind is set, you might find more motor discussion in the MicroT forums.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote