Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: warped gears !

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default warped gears !

Man this sucks ! I bought mine yesterday at about 5:00 p.m. I got home, charged it and WOW ! it wont go passed three inches W.T.F. ! I tore the trans down and holy crap the large gear looks as bad or worse than my losi strikes dog bones ! so I bought a bag of new gears at my L.H.S. even worse ! and losi coustomer service wont return my calls what to do ? way to go guys, great products and killer customer service . . . . . . :-( thats two strikes for me .
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

That sucks bro. It really seems to be hit or miss, like there's a bad batch out there. Mine was great....luckily. Hope you can get it worked out!!
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

there is a certain guy on here that is a losi representive try and get in contact with him and he will hook you up
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

his name is rich trujillo contact him and tell him what happened
NorCalScaleCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I can understand your frustration but please be a little patient. Rich is on a much needed vacation, this guy works very hard to get these crawlers to market and to keep everyone fixed up with any issues they may have. Try contacting, Horizon Product support at: 1-877-504-0233 or email to productsupport@horizonhobby.com

Everyone this time of year is super busy but your problems will get taken care of. Once you get this resolved you will have a great time with this little crawler.

Happy Holidays,
Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

really all in all its a micro just too small to be fun and too hard to work on, i dont think they should have ever messed with a micro cralwer, but Losi's customer service is awsome (atleast for me) try to get a hold of rich
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I just bought my second one tonight....flawless!!!

The first one has some minor binding but is drivable
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I love mine so far and there are a lot of people on here who love theirs too. I just think Losi had a bad batch of gears. It's just like their CVD's for the mini, a lot of people have them and they are great then they got a bad batch out and pulled them from every where. I'm still waiting to here when they fix the problem, I would love to put mine back on the mini. Just got to wait and give them time to fix the problem and fix it right.

The one hop up I do think they need to come out with is machined aluminum gears. Then we all could fix the problem and upgrade at the same time.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'd say try calling Losi again. They have had great customer service for me in the past and my Micro Crawler is perfectly flawless. Like I said try calling again, maybe they were too busy for emails etc.. Try calling/emailing HorizonHobby. Took them about 2 days to respond to my question about the BND before I had gotten it for my holiday but their response was precise and just what I needed
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s View Post
really all in all its a micro just too small to be fun and too hard to work on, i dont think they should have ever messed with a micro cralwer, but Losi's customer service is awsome (atleast for me) try to get a hold of rich

I like my micro more than my 2.2. There's unlimited possibilities to crawl around the house with it, its easy to modify, and parts for it are very cheap.
_NICO_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by _NICO_ View Post
I like my micro more than my 2.2. There's unlimited possibilities to crawl around the house with it, its easy to modify, and parts for it are very cheap.
What he said. I have this thing for 8 days now and already my 3R shows 8+ hours of use from a 5 min battery. I crawl my shoes, the dogs legs, the laundry, bags, carpets, the tape dispenser, anything I can imagine. Definitely the best thing I bought in a while.

Oh and my tranny used to bind so bad that I wanted to eat the friggin truck. But cs answered my mail in 2 days and posted my gears in three.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Dont get me wrong, I love this little guy ! I was on pins and needels and was pumped when it got to my L.H.S. I could not wait to drive it, and then WHAM ! a no go :-( but I took the down time in stride found out what was wrong and did some mods, then to my delight my L.H.S. had replacement gears JOY JOY JOY, and double WHAM ! WHAM ! the replacement gears are worse and then I get shut down by losi them selfs and all of this after my strike has spent most of its life as a wall hanger :-(:-( in the words of motley crue , "if it wasnt for bad luck id' have no luck at all" i just need a hug . . . . . . . and some good parts
Old 12-21-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i was red in the face and about ready to throw the thing out my wndow doin 75 just to spite the lil piece of shit.

but then a few fellow crawler enthusiasts and my girlfriend brought something to my attention. its a toy.

an inatimate piece of plastic. and here i was acting like it really matters.

NOw, trust you me, Spending $150 on something that doesnt work like it should freaks me the fawk out. makes me want to kick the person that made my truck right in the face.

But thats completly irrational.

Take it easy dude. hit up horizon, and they will make it right. just dont be a total asshole.

Horizon/Losi is the best in the industry when it come to makin somethin right. Reguardless of weather or not it worked right in the first place, they will make it right. i have 2 sets of gears and a new case in the mail as of this morning, i emailed them on Friday night

you/ i just gotta suck it up and realize not playing with for less than 7 days aint bad, specially when the parts are comin to you free of charge.

THAT CS is what we pay $150 for. not the lil truck. its the support that comes with it.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I just got off the horn with them. A trans gear set & a set of rims/tires will be on the way 2moro morning. My tire foams were almost solid blocks of tire glue in some spots.
fordmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

yeah i got with them today and they are sending out new parts i just hope they are better than what i have now we will see and i will post up the results
Old 12-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I'm like BeelzeBob, I just get bent when something does not work like it was designed to. I don't blame him one bit for being frustrated, cause I'm a little frustrated too.

This is the same as any other tranny they've produced, it has shafts with gears on them that ride on bearings and transfer torque from the motor to the driveshafts. It's just smaller is all. If a shaft is warped, a gear seat or the gear itself is out of round, if the shafts aren't on the same plane because of bearing seats or other reasons, it's not gonna work smoothly. It's just basic engineering principle.

Sounds like Losi/Horizon is willing to send everyone the same gears, and a lot of guys are reporting even worse performance from the replacements.

I personally can't imagine how they decided that prototypes were performing well enough to pull the trigger on production, then this happens? Did they think we would'nt notice something like this because it's a small scale "toy" crawler? They had to realize that a bunch of us were gonna buy these only to immediately tear them down and build something custom out of it, and we would probably notice something like this in the process.

Personally, mine did the same thing as everyone elses. It drove ok, but, like my man Bob, I demand the best performance possible from, well, from anything really not just RC stuff. Relieving the small bearing seat with a sharp Xacto allows the bearing to move enough to run 99% bind-free. Not perfect, but waaaay better than out of the box. I'm not a big fan of increasing tolerances on bearing-supported parts just to make them move freely, but at this small scale it shouldn't really be the deliberate introduction to premature wear that it would be in a larger assembly. And it also sounds like the only option at this point.

I don't think theres a "good" batch vs. a "bad" batch with these, I think they all do it. It was not really apparent to me until I disassembled it. It ran ok, but when the tranny was in my hands by itself the binding felt terrible. Enough to make me think that low-end performance and run times could be drastically improved (I did run mine in stock form for 5 packs before completely disassembling it) if the gears did not bind.

How I came to the conclusion that I was not one of the "lucky few" (I personally think these "lucky few" have not actually disassembled theirs yet and felt how bad the binding really is w/o any other influences in play) was by using the trim adjustment to start the motor, then backing it down to where it just barely spun. It was painfully obvious that there was a point where the motor torque could not over come the binding and it would sieze. Swapping the orientation around the square shaft did nothing at all, it bound just about the same on each side. All you're doing there is changing the point at which it binds. Which says to me that the bigger gear with the square seat is out of round.

Relieving the bearing seat is the only way to fix this w/o changing out the misaligned part(s)

Maybe Robinson or someone similar will produce some aluminum gearsets for these one day...

Last edited by Big Mike; 12-22-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote