Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Optimal Wheel Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Default Optimal Wheel Weight

Well, a couple weeks ago I ordered my first crawler because I was given a deal on an RTR Losi Micro Crawler I couldn't refuse. Anyways, after the box had been sitting around for over a week (I wouldn't dare open it during finals week last week - too much of a distraction) I finally opened it.

However, after a few runs, it became clear how top-heavy these things are. The battery will be moved to the top of the rear axle as soon as I get more velcro, but the other thing I want to do is add some weight to the wheels. I plan on getting the BWD wheel weight kit with 8 large hole rings. After looking at the PVC beadlock mod on this site, I figure on doing that while adding some solder to the rims under the PVC.

About what weight should I shoot for in the front and rear rims?

Thanks in advance!
The_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

In other scales of crawlers, it seems a 2:1, front:rear, ratio is common (I say this loosely, as setups are as ranging as opinions).
I'd start with a conservative, nearly equal amount of solder in all four wheels, perhaps with a bit more up front; so those BWD weights will be about fine tuning the weight, not stacking it on there.
It's one of the things I'll try over 'Winter Break.'
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i have 2 feet of solder wrapped around each front rim, and 1 foot each rear
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I put 10 grams of solder up front and 6 grams in the rears. That is double the original weight for the fronts.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

what kind of solder are you guys using and if i add solder ill have to unglue the tires and reglue right?
parker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker88 View Post
what kind of solder are you guys using and if i add solder ill have to unglue the tires and reglue right?
That is correct, sir
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I went the pvc beadlock route. With the pvc and the rim wrapped full of solder the rears seem just right and the fronts a little light yet, though pretty darn good running droop. I have the battery on the servo as well. I would like to try a few of the BWD wheel weights to see if just a little more weight wouldn't help. The next thing is to remove the esc/rx from the case, shrink wrap it, put it on the front servo, put the battery out back, remove all extra top heavy plastic, and see where it is at then.

I'm new to crawling but in the little I have seen it seem optimal wheel weight depends on the rest of the setup. If everything is top heavy I have had better luck with more weight on the wheels. Start to lower the COG and I seem to do fine with less weight on the wheels. This is why I want to try to cut weight from here rather than continue to add more to the wheels/axles.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote