Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 1929 Ford pickup!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 AM   #1

Default 1929 Ford pickup!

Here is my micro.... the body is from a 1/24 model kit of a 1929 ford custom pickup. It is pretty narrow and had to cut out some parts to lower the body as much as possible. The model itself is a real POS, nothing really fit right and ended up having to patch up a lot of places, and used up way too much glue. But I am finally happy with how it looks and performs. The battery is inside of the hood, and the rx is removed from the case so that the truck body can fit via velcro and still have the rx on the truck. Added micro-t springs, otherwise it's all stock I did have binding in the center tranny, and did the sanding around the bearing trick that others have done here.... it's now nice and smooth.

here is a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXVo3G2HMjg

I've applied a primer coat, I think I still want to paint it black, so that the holes are not as blatantly apparent, but the primer color is starting to grow on me

-Crabfu
crabfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #2

Very interesting to see such an old body on a crawler.
I'm not sure if I like the rounded hotrod nose of that Ford but I love the pontoon fenders.
You managed to make a crappy kit look pretty good.

If it just had a regular vertical grill like the Model Ts I think it would be much cooler.
Not sure if such kits exist but maybe you could just make a grill out of styrene.
takman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yeah...that little snubby nose sure gives her some character. Cute in an ugly dog sort of way.
I really like it, actually. An old primer-job would look good, as would a sick bling-like paint scheme. Looking forward to seeing how you decide to finish her off.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

you should take the springs off the shocks.
will lower it and make it perform 100 times better
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

that rules.

removing springs will help.

i wish it could be mounted lower on the chassies.

does that model kit come w/ framerails?
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Very interesting to see such an old body on a crawler.
I'm not sure if I like the rounded hotrod nose of that Ford but I love the pontoon fenders.
You managed to make a crappy kit look pretty good.

If it just had a regular vertical grill like the Model Ts I think it would be much cooler.
Not sure if such kits exist but maybe you could just make a grill out of styrene.
Actually the kit had 3 choices, and the rounded nose was what I liked best, because it's a bit ugly and a little different lol. I have the squareish grill, but I think it's too late to change it back now.... I'm happy just to have this all glued together finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post
Yeah...that little snubby nose sure gives her some character. Cute in an ugly dog sort of way.
I really like it, actually. An old primer-job would look good, as would a sick bling-like paint scheme. Looking forward to seeing how you decide to finish her off.
Thanks, yeah I do like the nose, adds character for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
you should take the springs off the shocks.
will lower it and make it perform 100 times better
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
that rules.

removing springs will help.

i wish it could be mounted lower on the chassies.

does that model kit come w/ framerails?

I was running droop without springs, but decided to put in low springs from micro-t, and it works better on the losi track than without springs. It really is almost like not having springs, it's pretty low down there. In the video you can see it clears that track pretty well, and it was a tiny bit more struggle when running with this body and without springs. I can't get the body any lower on the chassis, but it does look a little bit better without springs. However, I'd like to get it looking as good as possible while able to perform well, and this was the best that I could do At least until I get bored and take out the springs AGAIN, and probably will decide then again that's a better choice afterall lol.

Anyway thanks for the comments, will try to find time to paint it up and see how it goes.

-Crabfu
Old 12-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

if you could use the model kit itself to mount the skid links and shocks, you could do away w/ the chassis side plates.

then you can run your shocks fully sprung. just make the mounting point where YOU want them
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
if you could use the model kit itself to mount the skid links and shocks, you could do away w/ the chassis side plates.

then you can run your shocks fully sprung. just make the mounting point where YOU want them
yeah, I'm really impressed with what others have done with custom scale and model frames.... I'm too lazy, just wanted a quick old looking body.... maybe next build I'll try something more complicated and custom, but if I decide to spend that much energy I'll probably just design something more unique

-Crabfu
Old 12-25-2009, 12:14 AM   #9

Here it is painted black with a few logo stickers and with no springs. I mounted the electronics up in the cab now and servo taped the body to the frame... I had velcro before, which was easier on and off, but made it slightly higher. I can get to the switch through the windows, and battery leads are below the nose, so it's only a problem if I wanted to change the body on a regular basis.... which I just might lol.

-Crabfu
Old 12-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I just built that model, and although I like the idea of that as a custom body...you could have done much, much better.:-P

Last edited by KnutKase; 12-25-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: ad pic
KnutKase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnutKase View Post
I just built that model, and although I like the idea of that as a custom body...you could have done much, much better.:-P
well I'm happy with it, I'm not a master builder. You should do it properly with your kit
Old 12-25-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I heavily customized mine, took awhile...
Old 12-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnutKase View Post
I heavily customized mine, took awhile...
Looks nice, should mount it on the micro
Old 12-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

It is a 28-31 model "A" specifically a 29, not a model "T". Custom frame is a must, use aluminum stock. Increase wheelbase on crawler slightly. Cut off fenders. Chop cab roof, shorten bed. Add tonnau cover to bed, cut out bed floor. Trim visor/windshield brow. Enlarge rear window to reveal. Ditch the horn. Add way cool domed headlight lenses and custom tinted windows (ask me how). Use either stock radiator shell (or track nose as you did)
Old 12-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I'm NOT cutting up that model. But I might build another.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #16

Lol models like this clearly is your domain, so yeah make another for the micro. I just tinker around and play, haven't done a model kit since I was a little kid, or care about it as much as hardcore model guys like you, so give me a break dude. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone!
Old 12-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Chill man, I'm trying to offer constructive critisism. I didn't intend to be mean. I build r/c vehicles the same way, attention to detail. Lots of hand-made custom parts. You had a great idea, just could have been better.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
MODERATOR™

Shouldn't it be steam powered?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:13 AM   #19

Lol I wouldn't call "you could have done much much better" constructive... But it's all good, we are all here to share

And steam is over rated and over done already.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

You are right, I should have toned that down a notch. Sorry 'bout that.