Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Mad Max Metal Body

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #1

Default Mad Max Metal Body

Been in and out of the RC game over the years and purchased my Micro while visiting my sis in Denver. This is my first foray in the crawling game and been having a blast. So much so I'm thinking of getting a Mini, Nightcrawler, or Losi Comp. I've already modded a cheap wal-mart bug body which fits perfect but my Mad Max all metal body has been a fun and challenging project.

I took a metal body from a 1/24 Hot Wheels Monster Truck and got to work. The stock body compressed the springs almost all the way, so I borrowed the brother-in-law's dremel and started cutting.

At first I thought of trying to mount to the Micro's chasis but I wanted to be able swap between bodies as I modify and build more. I used 1/16" scrap booking plastic from Hobby Lobby and screwed it to the body behind the side cut-out. It's stiff enough to suport the body and flexible enough to allow me to mount to the stock posts. Will probably swap to thin sheet aluminum at some point.

I also sanded off all the paint wanting to paint color of my choice, but I now love the brushed metal with the paint in the cracks. Gives it that industrial/Gundam type look.

Surprisingly the crawling characteristics even with the added weight still works really well. I'm sure I cut the weight by more than half over stock. I could still take more, but I don't want to lose some of the Mad Max look. Could hollow out the fenders, but would be tricky and am afraid to jack-up all my hard work.

I hope you like it. Let me know your thoughts, suggestions, etc. It's a work in process and a bit different, hopefully in a good way.

theadrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #2

Is it for the allien lol???????
lotaloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

ummm.....
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #4

Even aliens need wheels...
Old 12-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It looks like you need to lower it and streach it out a bit. Get some of the wire mesh office supply holders at walmart and cut them up to make inserts for the windows. and possibly make bigger tires to fill in those huge wheel wells.
Mutant_Xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:11 PM   #6

I agree. I plan on dropping the mount a bit and will extend the length a tad like I've seen on other mods. It's a closer fit than the pics show. I may also shorten the body just a bit. Not sure just yet.

Just been tinkering a bit while visiting the sis on vacation. Once I get back home I'll be able to do more. I do like the mesh suggestion. Hadn't thought of that, it''s a real good idea. Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Default Quick two cents

Allien vs MRC..LOL Cheers a toast. I dont love it but I dont hate it. I do appreciate all the work that has gone into it.
MRCking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #8

I really like it. Is that a natural aluminum finish or is it painted? I think it would look wicked if you lowered the body and extended the chasis.
Merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #9

It is naturally sanded aluminum finish. The project is on hold. Waiting to see what I do with my BWD chasis set-up. Might get a second crawler to extend the wheel base, or I might shorten the body. I've not abandoned the body because I've spent hours on it and I love the look. Thanks for the feedback...
Old 01-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #10

Default Wow

Nice...ah...alien? Ya paint looks awesome. Looks like the body just does not fit quite right. Maybe a lowering job will help.
firejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I like the netting idea for windows, but it would look kick-awesome with some black tinted plastic in all the window holes!
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #12

I have the meshing for when I get back to this project. I like the tint idea for the windows. I'll probably give it a shot, thanks...