Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Micro's too fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Micro's too fast

I just bought and installed the Atomic ball bearing motor and wow, is this thing ever fast now. Just wondering if anyone has found a smaller pinion and/or bigger spur that fits in the transmission, I'd like to slow it down a bit and turn the additional speed into torque.

Also, I'm thinking of trying a smaller gear in the rear axle to slow that down a bit, kind of like an under gear for Axial axles. Anyone try this or have any ideas? I've been searching the web for a compatible gear but no luck so far.
AdverseCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I'm not sure about under driving the axles, they are worm drive. I have not seen any smaller pinions yet or larger spurs, I would not mind either though.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the micro crawler should have come with 2 other pinion gears with the kit. i suggest bumping down to smallest. if you dont have the pinions you can buy them for a micro t , they sell the pinions in a set of 3, 11t,13t, and 15t. they also make spur gears for the micro t that i am 99% sure should fit on the crawler. you can buy them from theytoyz, and they come in 49t, 50t,51t, and 53t. i think stock is a 50t, so the smallest pinion and a 53t spur should calm the speed down a bunch
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I just bought and installed the Atomic ball bearing motor and wow, is this thing ever fast now. Just wondering if anyone has found a smaller pinion and/or bigger spur that fits in the transmission, I'd like to slow it down a bit and turn the additional speed into torque.

Also, I'm thinking of trying a smaller gear in the rear axle to slow that down a bit, kind of like an under gear for Axial axles. Anyone try this or have any ideas? I've been searching the web for a compatible gear but no luck so far.

You won't be able to underdrive/overdrive the axles, they are worm driven and no other gears exists.
mOOsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm already on the smallest pinion that comes with the kit and I guess bumping up the spur a couple teeth wouldn't make a noticeable difference. I think I might've found a 6 tooth pinion, just have to break out the calipers and check the pinion shaft size. If it's 0.71mm then this one will work.

As for under driving the rear worm gears I'm looking into some local gear shops here in Calgary and have a couple promising leads. The only problem I see is most gear sets available don't have a shaft permanently installed inside the worm gear, it sits on a hex shaped shaft unlike the stock worm gear which is all one piece with the shaft.

The stock ratio is 12:1 and I'm looking for about 9:1 or 10:1 so if I find it, maybe a bulk order would be best. I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.......
Old 12-31-2009, 03:08 PM   #6

wouldn't a 10:1 or 9:1 make it faster, making the rear overdrive the front
supafastsupra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdverseCity View Post
I think I might've found a 6 tooth pinion, just have to break out the calipers and check the pinion shaft size. If it's 0.71mm then this one will work.
Wouldnt more teeth give you more power less speed? a 6t pinion is gonna spin that spur hella fast.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
Wouldnt more teeth give you more power less speed? a 6t pinion is gonna spin that spur hella fast.
Less teeth (pinion) = more torque, less speed. Dropping the pinion will slow her down.

Last edited by JeepinOR; 12-31-2009 at 03:27 PM.
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

y ai think so you'll probably want more like 15:1
jeeper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafastsupra2 View Post
wouldn't a 10:1 or 9:1 make it faster, making the rear overdrive the front
Oops, I brainfarted on that one. Something with the worm gear made me think it was the other way around, not sure why.

Stock the worm gear has to spin 12 times to make the axle spin once so it would be about a 15:1 that I'm looking for. Thanks for saving me from looking stupid at the gear shop......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
On a 10T pinion one rotation moves 10 teeth on the spur. With a 6T it'd be 60% of the stock speed, this one I'm right on......
Old 12-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #11

Just tryin to save ya from buying the wrong thing
supafastsupra2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

The BBII is a great motor and runs great on 3.7V, that will slow it considerably
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #13

Default i put the bb motor in mine

yeah the motor is fast but not that much power when you crawl and if you put a 2c lipo wow that thing flies
wtptrust09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbreath View Post
The BBII is a great motor and runs great on 3.7V, that will slow it considerably
Would that still be enough power for the steering servo? I have the HS5065 and love the steering power it has, would hate to lose some.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

I thought stock it runs too fast on the Lipo battery.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I'm with those that think the stocker's fast with just a lipo. I have a Micro HighRoller also and with the BBII and the middle pinion on there, all it wants to do is flip on it's lid! It's wicked fast.....had to super glue it to the motor shaft as it was just spinnin inside the pinion! Now I'll have to break out my other BBII and super glue the biggest (fastest) pinion to it and swap it into my MHR to help with those wheelies and gain s'more speed....hahaha. Personally, the stocker in the Crawler is plenty slow'n powerful. That's just me. HOWEVER......I surely wouldn't mind makin a rock racer outta my MRC!!!
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Then there's always Getbents Preditor motors , he winds and sells a 80t and 90t BB motor.

Predator Micro Rock Crawler Motors
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Then there's always Getbents Preditor motors , he winds and sells a 80t and 90t BB motor.

Predator Micro Rock Crawler Motors
but getbent wasnt winding motors in Dec 2009 when this was posted ;)
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

He is now.

Lot's of people will read this thread, I thought it was pertinent information.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 08-07-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote