Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Crawler Build Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Default Crawler Build Ideas

I recently picked up a used Micro Crawler and I'm starting to pick up parts for a build I'd like to do when I finish the Micro-T I'm currently working on.

That build is posted up here: Ken Block Micro-T Build

I've got one of Danally's DDT 110T Big Block System's on order. So with that as my power house I'd like to create a cool comp crawler style setup that's a really solid functional crawler.

I originally wanted to go all out with 4WS and DIG but RC funds are low after the Micro-T build and I'm happy enough with the 2WS. I just want to put something together that crawls like a mofo with a comp style chassis. I also don't think i have the time for such a detailed build or to try a scaler right now anyway.

So I'm looking for ideas on everything from parts to mods to do. I've already read the entire mod's thread here and elsewhere. I'm looking for some of the best performance mods to do.

My build idea so far is this:
-110T Predator motor with 17T pinion and 59T Spur
-TMC Buggy Chassis Kit from CrawlerX (I like the look of that particular one)
-RC4WD beadlock wheels with a set of either Interco Super Swamper tires or Mickey Thompson Baja Claw's.
-Wheel wideners, longer drive shafts and maybe a Links and Driveline extension kit.

Then toss some weight on the tires and go from there.

Last edited by Black Rock; 04-09-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Edit: Typos
Black Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like a great start. I had a crawler x buggy chassis when I had my first micro and it was awesome. Search krono7s on YouTube. I have a lil bid on there of mine if ur interested

Sent from my cellular telebox
krono7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Crawler Build Ideas

sounds good so far.as for the tires I would say go with the mickeys. I sipped mine cutting every other lug (the small ones) off of the tires and they are downright mean.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

get the qlo tires... you wont regret it, especially with the big block in it
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #5

You know, I got a pair of the Qlo's with the truck as one of the tires but I'm not a huge fan just yet. It crawls better with them on, but in the stock chassis form they are so stinking huge they seem too big for the build. They are also glued on the stock rims with the stock rim mod so it's going to be hard to get them off the truck to add weight to at least until I get some headlocks.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've got two Micros. One is getting a Pinch chassis, a 100T motor, and defoamed stock tires with BBs for weighting. Might extend the wheels out, probably not. My other one is getting Super Swampers with wheel extenders, eventually a 100T motor (only bought one...) and a completely custom chassis setup I stole from a Clodbuster custom design called Silver Ghost. Gonna be awesome if I ever get it done.

And I'd love to get my hands on the Red Cat Crawler for 4WS!
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #7

Yah, the Redcat is cool though I never got a chance to drive it just yet. I nuked the PCB right off the bat wiring it up for a 2S lipo based on a bogus post. I later found the voltage rating of the board with maxxed out around 5 volts or so... The Redcat is way more burly than the Losi though, just not sure I'd use the electronics and go 4WS unless I can wire up the electronics to handle a 2S LiPo.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Black Rock
I nuked the PCB right off the bat wiring it up for a 2S lipo based on a bogus post. I later found the voltage rating of the board with maxxed out around 5 volts or so... .[/QUOTE]

Hmm, you sure you soldered it up right?
I run the redcat board in my 10x10 & it runs 3 servos for steering, all on 2s with no problems.

I did burn up another redcat board with a faulty servo board on a diffrent project....Its weird though no smoke & no burnt smell but it just won't come back to life.
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I don't really have anything to add but I just wanted to say your Micro-T build is badass!

It would be really cool if you did a scaler build with your level of attention to detail...
Raguvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
Hmm, you sure you soldered it up right?
I run the redcat board in my 10x10 & it runs 3 servos for steering, all on 2s with no problems.

I did burn up another redcat board with a faulty servo board on a diffrent project....Its weird though no smoke & no burnt smell but it just won't come back to life.
I'm using micro dean connectors on all my Zippy Flightmax 350mAh batteries, so I soldered one onto a JST connector I had laying around to make a custom dongle. It took about 3 seconds after plugging it in for the board to sizzle and melt a hole through the plastic cover. I'll get a pic of the damaged board up, but I'm about 99% positive I connected it properly ;) I may try to figure out what burned up and fix the board, otherwise I'll just buy another $30 board and try not to burn that one up. Love all the scaler builds by the way Chevy55!

Thanks Raguvian! I'd love to do a scaler build, but I enjoy more of the mechanics and engineering of these guys right now so comp crawler is the plan. I don't think I have the patience for working on the modeling side of it right now anyway. Guys like Chevy55 do builds so far beyond what I've done, mine would look simple in comparison.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

freeze your qlo wheel/tire combo. the glue will snap when u try to peel it off.
i LOVE mine with a widener and longer links!
ill have a new build on here soon.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #12

That thing is sick man. I especially like the frame and axle guards.

I'll try the freeze trick. I'd love to find a set of those billet works wheels too... I'm thinking a set of the Mickey Thompson tires would be fun if it doesnt work.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
rik
RCC Addict

if you get a new chassis such as the tmc buggy, your gonna want to extend your wheelbase. with an extended wheelbase and tires such as the mickeys, it doesnt look proportional. also, you'll need the extra diameter that the qlo's have.
here;s mine at 5" on the nose.

rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #14

Ooooh, I love it!

I was also thinking of using can material for some body panels too. So you think the QLo's are simply the way to go then with the comp crawler body and extended wheel base?

What options have I got for extending the wheel base? I see the extender kits at CrawlerX and it looks like what you've got, but I'm not super familiar with crawlers and it's hard to know what other options there are for the micro scale RC's.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Elsewere, did you solder that chassis? Definitely extend the wheelbase, makes a big difference.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Go with the qlo tires. With that motor and tire combo u can pull off stuff u won't beleive.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
Go with the qlo tires. With that motor and tire combo u can pull off stuff u won't beleive.
I think I'm going to try two different sets. One of the Mickey's and another of the QLo's. I've got the QLo's in the freezer now and trying to peel them off the rims but I've now found that they have tears in them throughout.

It kind of looks like they maybe got glued onto the rims a few times and are a bit more thrashed than I thought. Maybe I should just keep them on the stock rims for a set my buddies can try out. I'm currently trying to get about 3 of my buddies into RC's. I'd love to have another buddy want to bring a crawler along when we go out camping with the kids this summer. ;)
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #18

Alright! I'm stoked now. My Big Block Kit is on it's way along with the rest of my build parts. I've been getting daily runs on my "stock-ish" McRC and been making small adjustments here and there for huge performance improvements (removed shock springs, moved positions, added weight, cut plastic and moved ESC and battery). After enough runs I've finally decided that for this initial build the target is to make the best crawler I can with 2WS. So no dig, no 4WS, no lock outs. Just a well balanced crawler with a powerhouse motor and good geometry for sick crawling I'd love to do some mega 4WS beast with F/R dig, individual wheel lock out, etc but that may just be better for a bigger scale rig.

Anyone know if you can bind a stock McRC ESC/Rx to another radio? I got mine used so no manual, and the ESC has been slightly modded already. What's that button on the top of it for? I'd love to bind the card if it's possible to my Spektrum DX2S since that thing has so much better control and tuning. I can see turning the throttle waaaay down and really digging in hard with the 59T spur and 110T motor. Creepin...

Crawler Build Ideas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with new build ideas XxRockStar199xX General Scale Talk 2 11-01-2010 07:55 AM
Need Ideas on a new build TXJeeper1 General Scale Talk 5 10-11-2010 06:02 PM
FIrst Build.. Need Ideas!!! ztothej Newbie General 2 08-30-2010 05:26 PM
Build Ideas looneybin Non Crawler RC's 3 10-29-2009 08:55 AM