Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Suzuki Samurai Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Suzuki Samurai Build

Well, this is my first attempt at a scale build :-P. It is all scratch built and hand made. A large majority of this was done in my dorm room where there was little supplies. The body was cut out of the bottom of a Tropicana orange juice box and was traced on from a side profile image. I scaled it to the appropriate size by doing conversions on the different lengths. To build the strength up on the body, I ran several layers of a thinned glue mix (i could not find Mod-Podge) to give it some extra strength so the filler would not crack as the body shifted. Heavy amounts of Bondo were applied after that to try to fill in as many cracks as possible. All of the extras that were added on were done at home where i had the appropriate supplies. A link is provided to a dozen or so images of the build both pre-paint and completion.

http://img199.imageshack.us/g/picture003sg.jpg/
Krazy_Polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You should have painted it orange and called it the Juiced suzuki
Maybe try styrene next, I just picked some up for the first time and its easy to work with
I like the fact that you used what was around, its like building a ratrod lol
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
You should have painted it orange and called it the Juiced suzuki
Maybe try styrene next, I just picked some up for the first time and its easy to work with
I like the fact that you used what was around, its like building a ratrod lol
Last sentence, the best! Looks great man but I agree Styrene would be the next step. Still great that you used what you had. I respect that, good thinking!
Stampedekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

yeah, i am working on a styrene xj now, same style of build but man is it tough to get straight lines with an exacto knife on the styrene. it doesn't look quite to scale, i saw ScalerLover's xj and that looks to be a more reasonable size. for the body now, i am using the styrene from a Danger: No Trespassing sign. preferably i would draw something in SolidWorks and run it through my school's CNC machine, lol.
Krazy_Polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ive never done it but ive seen someone on here print photos to scale and use that as a template.
I plan to just use lots of measurements and mark the on styrene. its going to get primer and paint anyway.

for the few straight lines i have cut i just marked the line with a fine point pen and ruler or something straight and then use that as a guide to score the styrene
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote