Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: iMax B6 LiPro Balancer/Charger help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default iMax B6 LiPro Balancer/Charger help

This is my first lipo charger, and I need a little help figuring this thing out, I am used to the plug-n-play NiMH's, this is a different realm, I have read through the instructions and all it tells me really is to not over-charge and not let them explode in my face .....with that said, if you guys could give me a couple pointers as to how to work this thing, that would be excellent
(i am running a 7.4v 500mah 20c LiPo)
Krazy_Polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Set to Lipo Charge, 1C charge rate is .5A, 7.4V

This charger is soooo easy to use
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:15 AM   #3

Set it on lipo balance, set charge rate at 1A (that's 2C charge on 500mah lipo, takes 30minutes to charge and should be safe on most lipo) or 0.5A (1C charge, takes about 1 hour but is easier on lipo).
Connect the lipo up and let it start.
Simple as that.
markh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh78 View Post
Set it on lipo balance, set charge rate at 1A (that's 2C charge on 500mah lipo, takes 30minutes to charge and should be safe on most lipo) or 0.5A (1C charge, takes about 1 hour but is easier on lipo).
Connect the lipo up and let it start.
Simple as that.
No offence, but don't do this. It will shorten the life expectancy of the battery unless it is a very good battery on a very good charger. (clean power source)

go with 1C.
macruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruz View Post
No offence, but don't do this. It will shorten the life expectancy of the battery unless it is a very good battery on a very good charger. (clean power source)

go with 1C.
I guess it depends on lipo, so yeah make sure to check how much yours can take.
I've been charging 2C with Hobbyking lipo (Turnigy and Flightmax) without any prob (HK themselves stated that 2C is fine), and there are modern lipo like Hyperion G3 that can go 5C.

Last edited by markh78; 03-20-2010 at 06:10 AM.
markh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Like the other guys said, charge at 1C. Usually the batteries are so cheap that you can get a spare and have it charged/charging while you're running. A lipo sack might also be a good $15 investment. I've never seen one explode, but I imagine if one did it would do more than $15 in damage. An ounce of prevention . . .
NeoNeoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoNeoN View Post
Like the other guys said, charge at 1C. Usually the batteries are so cheap that you can get a spare and have it charged/charging while you're running. A lipo sack might also be a good $15 investment. I've never seen one explode, but I imagine if one did it would do more than $15 in damage. An ounce of prevention . . .
X2 go the safe better safe than sorry way with lipo
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Default Very good charger

I've been using this charger for a while now and love it. I did buy a bulky very clean power supply (Powerforce 13.8v) to run the charger. The 1C takes longer, but I have puffed up a few good batteries trying to quick charge them.

If you are new to lipos, they puff up when they are bad. If they puff (swell) up, do not use them any more. Never seen one explode, because they technically don't. Look for videos on youtube about this. If they are punctured or damaged they will flare up like one of those road flares. They eventually go out, but only after all of the insides are consumed. The lipo sacks are to prevent the flare up from catching your house on fire.

The charger has an alarm, so dont walk away when charging. Turn it off as soon as the alarm sounds.
brazwewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have had this same charger for almost 2 years and I love it! I too was lost when i first got it because like you I was useing an old school voltage drop charger. My best advice is sit down and with out pluging a battery in to charge just keep going through the menus till you get closer to being familar with it. Always remember that the safest way to charge your Lipo's is at 1C. Thats easy to figure out if you do it like this, whatever the rated capicty is move your decimal piont over 3 places to the left, for exsample if your batt is a 1800mah then it should safely charge at 1.8 amps! 2400mah would be 2.4 amps and so on, when your chargeing small batt's like 240mah go with .2 amps and so on. Not that hard to rember but it should always be the first thing in your mind before you start to charge. The next thing you'll want to rember with this charger is that it can and will be hard on your lipo's if you choose to NOT ballance charge them, not so much with single and 2 cell packs but defitnatly with 3 cell and above, it will force all the voltage into the conector end of the pack and the packs wont be able to seperate the voltage into each cell and you'll end up with a 3 cell pack with 12 volts fully charged but one cell may be at 5 volts and the other two will be at 3 volts and then you just overcharged the pack and made a $50 paper wieght! Once you start the charger its going to let you know if its a bad hook up or has bad cells, it'll say "check battery connection" or Connection Fault" just look them over and start again. It will also make you confirm what your doing before it actully starts to charge. If you plug in your 2cell 7.4v pack and choose "Ballance Charge" its going to want you to first set the cell count, set it to what the battry is (7.4 2S). Then its going to want you to set the charge current, this goes back to the 1C thing I mentioned earlier. Once that is set you push start, it will show a screen that will show you what you battery is, "its a 2S2P right? You than push the start button to confirm and away she goes! All these steps will be the same for all your other older batteries as well but it wont ask you for a cell count for Nimh or Nicad's. I would also try to not adjust the default settings till you get more understanding about battery technology and current drops, cappicity limits, and timer functions are not that important to you right now. Your going to love this charger once you get used to useing it!
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote