Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: wheels for wider track width?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default wheels for wider track width?

Does anyone know of a wheel that'll make for a slightly wider track width? That can be currently had for sale? I'm in need of about 1/8" to 3/16" per side ... the BWD's looked promising, but not in production. Or, has anyone figured a widening method yet?

Thanks for any help.
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

i put spacers between the hex and the wheel.
chameleonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

what kind of spacers are you using and were could i find them
willy1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

They're nothing special. Just some washers from the LHS. Measure the axle to get the ID, then measure the hex (across flats) to get the OD, then just get what ever thickness you want.
chameleonkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yep, washer method stated above. Just keep in mind you still need to be able to thread on your wheels nuts.

I am waiting on the BWD wheels. I have always thought this rig needed to be just a tad wider.
papasnachez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default Wheel Wideners

I have done the same thing as above, the problem is the additional width is so limited by the length of the axle threads. On my Miniqlo trucks I have been able to superglue the stock MCRC hex hubs to the back of the Miniqlo rims and that works good for the MINIQLO. I have been trying to find 2mm barrel nuts so more width could be added but no luck. If anybody can find them please let us know. The tires from the miniqlo will fit on the MCRC rims but they are too big for the truck. You can actually use the MCRC rims as a beadlock with the Miniqlo tires as the part that goes into the rim is wider. Unfortunately the MRC tire ID is just a little too small for the Miniqlo rims.

Last edited by stomper4x4.com; 04-13-2010 at 06:32 AM.
stomper4x4.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Does anyone know the diameter of the stock axles at the main shaft? I'm thinking of soldering on some threaded couplers from airplane linkages. but I need to know what size to get ... I have no calipers. the 2-56 couplers are .074" ID and the 4-40 are .095" .... I have spare hexes, outer shafts and wheels so I can afford to experiment some.
What we really need is a longer shaft and hex setwith say 1/8" - 3/16" extra width (for a total of 1/4 - 3/8" an axle). Using a longer threaded portion, and a 1/8" and 3/16" wider hex would make it user adjustable on the same shaft.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Stomper4x4 - any chance the Mini Q-lo outer stubs will work in the Losi and possibly add width? I noticed they doo have a longer threaded protion of the shafts. The question is ... will they fit the knuckles and axles?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Miniqlo Axle Stubs On MCRC

I just tried them and sure they would work with a little trimming on the MCRC axle housing. The OD of the Miniqlo axle cup is larger and will not fit in-between the tabs that hold the front hubs in place on the axle hosings. Looks like a little careful trimming and they would work fine. The cup length is the same as well as the OD of the main shaft. I will try it out when my new housings I have on order arrive, but would bet this is a great idea. Thanks
stomper4x4.com is offline   Reply With Quote