Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Any extra weight u used for better CG in ur truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

Default Any extra weight u used for better CG in ur truck?

Guys,
Did anybody use any extra weight to keep the center of gravity (CG) in your Losi scale micro crawler? As it it's body is mount on a little high, it seems to have more roll over side by side. If I'm right someone used extra metal in those 4 wheels just to keep CG better. Help pl.
lotaloi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i think pretty much everyone is using wheel weight im running about 15 grams in the rear and 30 grams up front but when my dp chasis gets here im adding another 10 grams to the front and probably 5 to the rear
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
i think pretty much everyone is using wheel weight im running about 15 grams in the rear and 30 grams up front but when my dp chasis gets here im adding another 10 grams to the front and probably 5 to the rear
ok, can u show us a pic of that weight pl and where did u get that from?
Old 09-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

just wrap sloder around the wheel till its flush with the bead then wrap that in a narrow piece of electrical tape ...that should get you to about 15 grams , get rid or your foams and then fill the front tires about 1/4 -1/3 way full of lead shot #6 or #8 (i dont know where you can get small amounts of lead shot i just peeled open some birdshot rounds) that should get you around 30 grams in the fronts maybe more . then just re glue the tires and go
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

just my .02$ worth but any added weight should be in the tires, either on the wheels or bird shot in the tires (I used #6) adding weight anywhere else is just putting it over the axle height and further screwing up the COG. The front wheel and tire combo on my DP torsion chassis (wich is friggin great!) weigh 55 g each and the rears are at 30 g. I used, as most do, a combination of bird shot and washer weights ,theres several posts on how to make the weights. I personally dont like the idea of wrapping solder or lead around the wheels because it seems to slow wheel speed on my rig and wheel speed is a life saver in a lot of situations, the bird shot seems to allow for a little more speed when needed due to the fact that it is able to move inside the tire and for the most part stays at the BOTTOM of the tire giving you the lowest possible COG.
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
just my .02$ worth but any added weight should be in the tires, either on the wheels or bird shot in the tires (I used #6) adding weight anywhere else is just putting it over the axle height and further screwing up the COG. The front wheel and tire combo on my DP torsion chassis (wich is friggin great!) weigh 55 g each and the rears are at 30 g. I used, as most do, a combination of bird shot and washer weights ,theres several posts on how to make the weights. I personally dont like the idea of wrapping solder or lead around the wheels because it seems to slow wheel speed on my rig and wheel speed is a life saver in a lot of situations, the bird shot seems to allow for a little more speed when needed due to the fact that it is able to move inside the tire and for the most part stays at the BOTTOM of the tire giving you the lowest possible COG.
true for the most part untill you need a little bump on an incline then too much steel shot can hurt more than help i try to keep a balance between weight in the wheel and inside the tires my new bwd fronts are 1.5oz total (42.5g)and my rears are at .75oz (21g) anything more would be way too much steel shot for my liking. im also running the donkey penis chasis and i agree it is very nice
Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

donkey penis......

yeah, I am gonna remove some shot from my #1 rig. I didnt relize just how heavy it was! the thing with bird shot is it moves in the tire, can help but can be a draw back as well but like I said its all a matter of preference and driving style. The Dog reccomends 42-47g in front if I remember right and 20-27g rear, Im gonna drop about 15g in the fronts tonight and see what happens
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #8

Ok anyone please post some pics please...........
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotaloi View Post
Ok anyone please post some pics please...........
its gonna be kinda hard to take pics inside the tire especially of the stock wheels since theyre glued and im not pullin apart my bwd's just to show you a pile of lead shot . all you gotta do is remove your foams and wrap the indent in the rim with solder nice and tight till you get it flush with the rim then wrap that in electrical tape so it doesnt come unwound then add steel shot from there to get the weight you want and then get the tire back in the bead and glue it back up