Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: dp torsion chassis mods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
jwo
Rock Crawler

Default dp torsion chassis mods?

i have read about people modding their chassis's. i will admit i did a search but didn't look really hard, so if this is a pointless question that has been discussed i will delete it no questions asked. i recently pulled my micro out for fun since weather is getting to cold for me to go out. i would like to see these mods if possible. i have already modded mine a bit to give it a longer wb and shaved the tranny mount to make it more narrow, but thats about it. what else is there? or would these be the mods. thanks
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i trimmed about a quarter inch off the top of the sides so i could sit the body lower but i found it to be kid of a pain in the ass chassis the torsion arms were too soft and under any kind of bind it would throw drive shafts. after 2 weeks of running it one of the torsion arms actuallybroke off and ive yet to hear back from driven productions about a replacement. i liked the fact that it getsrid of the garbage stock shcks but i didnt findthe alternative to be much better
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
i trimmed about a quarter inch off the top of the sides so i could sit the body lower but i found it to be kid of a pain in the ass chassis the torsion arms were too soft and under any kind of bind it would throw drive shafts. after 2 weeks of running it one of the torsion arms actuallybroke off and ive yet to hear back from driven productions about a replacement. i liked the fact that it getsrid of the garbage stock shcks but i didnt findthe alternative to be much better

okay, i read about shaving something on them but wasn't sure what exactly. i think ill leave it the way it is then. i have my body lowered the most it will go. its actually really hard to get the body one. im not sure if any one has broken one, but mine flexes like crazy. i have forced it farther then it should ever go with out breaking it.i think its pretty durable for the size. i liked getting rid of the shocks as well. thats why i bought it. its getting cold out and im not willing to freeze my butt off to play, so out comes the micro. thanks for the reply
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I broke one after about a month of crawling. I think it might be more due to what power u run to it. I have one on single cell lipo and very minimal wheel weight and no problems now for months. The one that broke on me was on a 7.4 lipo and wad a lot of wheel weight.

Just food for thought!
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
I broke one after about a month of crawling. I think it might be more due to what power u run to it. I have one on single cell lipo and very minimal wheel weight and no problems now for months. The one that broke on me was on a 7.4 lipo and wad a lot of wheel weight.

Just food for thought!
im running stock batt and not a lot of weight jeepkid has the same weight and qlos and he hasnt had a prob his dp is a lot stiffer mine was apparently just crap but dp has done nothing at all to make it right
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've only heard good things about dp, however, that was in the past, I dont know what is currently going on now.
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Mine is holding up fine with about 50g in the front and 40g in the rear tires. Though I only use mine in the house or on gravel, nothing to extreme and no high dropoffs. I wonder if boiling would help or hinder the breaking? I haven't boiled mine but have concidered it. All I've really changed on mine is to extend the rear axle mounts to stretch it to 4.5" wheelbase and countersing the screws for the skidplate.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #8

I've been running the dp chassis for several months and I've really liked it. The rear is sagging really bad now and i never have had that great of flex out of it but it is still better then it was stock. What does boiling do for the chassis?
rwohletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I've read that it softens up the plastic, giving a little more flex. I've also read about boiling parts to let them flex and give in a hit rather than being brittle and cracking. That's why I was curious if it would help the chassis not to break as easily.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I've run my chassis for 3 months now with no problems. My home made course made out of spray foam and rock spray paint is all I drive on which puts me in binds quite often that my motor stalls in. I run 60 grams of weight in the front and 45 in the rear. I have had the driveshafts pull apart 3 or 4 times under extreme binds. I also run a 7.4v 250mah lipo pack. I did not boil mine but I did think about it. All in all I am pleased with mine you can't go wrong with the 14 dollar price tag.
sid lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You should be pissed. It fell a foot off the course at my house and broke. My DP takes higher falls and wieghs the same. Its just not right to have it for a week and it break. They havent got back to you yet Murderface.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
im running stock batt and not a lot of weight jeepkid has the same weight and qlos and he hasnt had a prob his dp is a lot stiffer mine was apparently just crap but dp has done nothing at all to make it right
Murderface's torsion arm are .5mm smaller then mine. I compared them.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Assuming you bought the chassis from thetoyz.com contact them (RJ) rather than DP. RJ has always taken care of me when product I have bought from him have not been up to expectations.

BTW I have read that it is important not to store the DP chassis with a load on the links. This will result in softening and sag.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I've had a DP chassis since they came out(no clue what my set up weighs)....no complaints so far.
Gvus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

ok well the toyz sent me to dp and dp finally got back to me and theyre sending me a new one im definately gonna try boiling this one when i get it . and i guess my 2 weeks with it was prob more like most peoples 3 or 4 months with one i generally run 8 packs a day through it but either way they finally got back to me and i should have it soon
Old 10-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #16

About how long do you boil the chassis, I'm thinking about buying another one.
rwohletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Boil for thirty min. Strain and enjoy
Old 10-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
ok well the toyz sent me to dp and dp finally got back to me and theyre sending me a new one im definately gonna try boiling this one when i get it . and i guess my 2 weeks with it was prob more like most peoples 3 or 4 months with one i generally run 8 packs a day through it but either way they finally got back to me and i should have it soon
well thats good you got another one coming. i dont know the exact weight mine has on it, but its a hefty little guy. i have had no issues with mine. my chassis is pretty soft, but i have no sag. i let mine sit on a wheel when im not using it. so it sags from the weight. i ran mine alot last year with no issues other then the servo, but this year isnt so good. i pulled it out for the winter season knowing it needed a new servo to find out it has esc issues now.