Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: How to: Hot Racing trans case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default How to: Hot Racing trans case

I installed one of Hot Racing's aluminium trans cases and decided to take some pics on the way and now have pieced together a how to of sorts for those that find this type of job a little more complicated. I also put on a HR skid plate since I like shiny things

Please excuse my pictures, my camera does not focusing on stuff this small all that good

Tools needed are a 0.050" hex driver, small phillips head screw driver, small set of pliers, and some patients.

First thing to do is... get the parts!

First you will want to unplug everything from the ESC/RX and flip over your crawler and pop off the end links by the skid plate, I used some small side cutters and gently squeezed them off.

Next you want to remove the 4 screws holding the skid plate on, you will use a 0.050" hex driver, keep it handy you will need it for most of this.

After you have the screws removed pull the whole assembly out, don't force it. You should have something that looks like this.

You will now want to remove the drive shafts, they also use the 0.050" hex key, one the screws are out give them a tug to get them off.

Next you will want to remove the skid plate, there are 3 phillips head screws holding it on. The new trans case comes with new screws so you can put the old ones in a safe place out the way.

Next is to removed the motor which is held in by 2 phillips head screws, and take off the slipper using and provided 4 way. Don't lose any parts of the slipper, you should have 2 washers, 2 slipper plates, 2 small o-rings, and the nut that retains it all. Should look like this when done.

Now I missed a pic here as I didn't realize I ran out of memory so I will fill in what isn't shown. You next need to remove the motor plate, there are 3 hex keys and one phillips screw holding it on. Then you want to open the transmission up, make sure you don't lose the screws, you will need them later.

Now you will want to transfer all the guts over to the perdy new aluminium trans case. I moved the bearings first then the gearing. I also used this opportunity to oil up the bearings, so if you have some appropriate oil do it up.

Now you want to button up the trans case using the original hardware from the stock one, DON'T over tighten the screws and make sure you start them by hand. It is easy to cross thread and strip the screws. Also if you purchased the skid plate like I did, transfer the ball studs over to the new one.

Almost done! Now install the motor plate on to the transmission, make sure you use the phillips head screw at the top, I have it circled and am pointing to it. If you don't the slipper will not clear the screw.

Next is to reinstall the slipper, should be as follows. Washer, bottom slipper plate, spur gear, top slipper plate, 2 o-rings, washer, and retaining nut. I had an extra lock nut from some I ordered from The Toyz so I put that on in place of the plastic one that comes stock. Also install the motor back into its home and ensure a good mesh between the spur and pinion, there should be just a tiny amount of slop between them.

Home stretch. Now install the drive shafts, pop them on and put the screws back in. Don't over tighten the screws, just make sure it is flush with the back side of the drive shaft when screwed in. Also toss on the skid plate with the provided screws that came with the trans case.

Finally it is time to reinstall it into the crawler. Pretty much a reverse of the removal. Place it into the crawler, screw the skid plate back into the chassis, align the drives shafts, and pop the links back on. Then you is done!

Hope this helps someone out there, if anyone notices I missed an imortant detail let me know and I will add it.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links