Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Just bought my first MRC after finding this forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #1

Default Just bought my first MRC after finding this forum

I was interested in crawling after watching some videos on youtube. I first thought a wanted the losi 1/10 comp roller, but the price tag was a little to high. So I started pricing out the Losi mini comp. Still to high. Especially if I lost interest. So I started my search for an affordable crawler to play with during the old winter months of upstate NY. Then I found your forum and looked at a few of your guys micro crawlers. I was sold. I hopped on ebay and bought a mrc and dp torsion chassis. I read and reread thread after thread trying to get everything together when it arrived. My mrc came in the mail thursday and started the mods

foams removed and tires filled with bbs
electronics case removed and electrical tape applied
trans flipped and gear cover removed
dp torsion chassis(boiled 30 min)
custom cross braces made from a w40 spray tube
on/off switch removed
battery moved to rear axle

Just ran my first 2 batteries through her and had a lot of fun.

How long should the stock battery last? I got about 6 minutes per charge.

The steering horn sucks, should I remove the spring and glue it? Will this greatly decrease my servo's lifespan?

Did I miss any free mods???

Thanks for checking out my thread and I hope to get some pics soon.
evilunclefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Just ran my first 2 batteries through her and had a lot of fun

Welcome to the hobby it's really fun be prepared for addiction.

How long should the stock battery last? I got about 6 minutes per charge.

If you don't cook it while charging it will last for a long time.

The steering horn sucks, should I remove the spring and glue it? Will this greatly decrease my servo's lifespan?

Probably not.

Did I miss any free mods???

Someone did a BTA steering mod with your chassis.

Thanks for checking out my thread and I hope to get some pics soon.

Yeah pics make a thread keep posting.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the addiction!

If you were wondering how long the battery lasts as in run time, most get 8-10min or so but that is with a stock crawler. The added weight in the wheels can really put a dent into run times, that and how you drive it.

People have removed the servo saver portion of the servo without issue in the past but the stock servo fails after a while for most. Most end up replacing the servo anyway, my micro never even ran with the stock servo I replaced it as soon as I unboxed it lol.

You could also make some bent lower links, they are very helpful getting over stuff, you would only need one set of Mini-T ball cups since you have the Torsion chassis. Add some threaded rod and a small amount of time and you is done.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
rik
RCC Addict

evilunclefred,welcome to the addiction, i mean the micro world.. also, welcome to RCC.... with the dp chassis you can do a BTA set up. heres some pics of mine. i used all stock parts with the exception of 2 spacers i made. there is a guy on here (i dont remember his name though) who figured all this out. here's the pics. it looks nice and clean, and, opens up more lines,,,

and here you can see the 2 spacers...the guy who figured out that the BTA can be done with this chassis used some kind of store bought spacers. i spun mine on a lathe.

nice, clean, sexy...
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

welcome to the family, oh and your going to be best friends with your wallet!!!!
NEW YORK BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW YORK BOY View Post
welcome to the family, oh and your going to be best friends with your wallet!!!!
best friends??? my wallet is my nemesis.....as it never has enough of what i need to support this addiction....
Old 12-19-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

ive got at least 300 bucks into this thing when you count all the chasis' i went through before i got it dialed in with a pinch chasis best mod period for this rig and its under 20 bucks
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default BTA with Stock Parts on DP Chassis

Welcome to the hobby!

Here's the thread about doing the BTA with stock parts on the DP chassis:

Micro Rock Crawler BTA using stock parts
Phatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #9

OK, so a removed the screw on the servo, then pulled the whole steering horn off. The spring retainer and the spring got thrown into my baggy of unused parts. I shaved a little off the base piece's sleeve making the stock horn thicker and stick out over the base's sleeve. Put the stock screw back on with a washer and Presto, no more steering issues.

BTA complete. Made a new steering link out of a piece of flat plastic thats 2mm thick. 55mm wide, 7mm tall and 2mm thick. Angled the corners for tire clearance. I was gonna use a zip tie like a had seen in another thread on here, but didn't have one big enough nor strong enough for the job. Luckily i have plenty of sheets of plastic laying around my place to make custom parts. My first attempt came out a hair toed out.

I'm running 60bbs per tire(bbs + wheelset = 30grams) all the way around. After this last run I think I need to step the fronts up a little. I see people running upwards of 60grams.

I'll take some pics, but I only have a camera on my phone and they usually come out slightly blurred.

Thank for the advice.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilunclefred View Post
OK, so a removed the screw on the servo, then pulled the whole steering horn off. The spring retainer and the spring got thrown into my baggy of unused parts. I shaved a little off the base piece's sleeve making the stock horn thicker and stick out over the base's sleeve. Put the stock screw back on with a washer and Presto, no more steering issues.

BTA complete. Made a new steering link out of a piece of flat plastic thats 2mm thick. 55mm wide, 7mm tall and 2mm thick. Angled the corners for tire clearance. I was gonna use a zip tie like a had seen in another thread on here, but didn't have one big enough nor strong enough for the job. Luckily i have plenty of sheets of plastic laying around my place to make custom parts. My first attempt came out a hair toed out.

I'm running 60bbs per tire(bbs + wheelset = 30grams) all the way around. After this last run I think I need to step the fronts up a little. I see people running upwards of 60grams.

I'll take some pics, but I only have a camera on my phone and they usually come out slightly blurred.

Thank for the advice.
Nice! the BTA is way better right??
Old 12-20-2010, 05:28 AM   #11

Way better. The front isn't getting hung up on everything in sight. Tires come in contact first like it should be.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #12

Only have a camera on my phone, and it's not the best phone by any standards.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #13

New Bright Dodge 1500. Gave me something to do while I'm off this week from work.