Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: New crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Default New crawler

Well, I just pulled the trigger on a lmc.Now my question is . Will the losi lipo battery and charger be a good set up or is there something better? Also have already talked to getbent and put an order in for a motor. Cant wait to start climbing and build a course....

Last edited by 69z28rsss; 02-08-2011 at 04:18 PM.
69z28rsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I wouldnt say you can find something better,

But you darn well may be able to find some batteries cheaper.

if you dont have another charger, id say go for it.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

I bought the Losi micro lipo for mine and it works great. Had I already been into this hobby and had a lipo charger already I probably wouldn't have tho. It was just convenient with the wall charger and direct plug in.
haratank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #4

lipo battery + lipo charger will cost you about 25-30$ - I don't think it's that bad. Check on helipal.com they've got quite good selection, BUT...if you do order, don't forget to check it for reverse polarity. I didn't and burned my DMS/ECS - lesson learned :/
shaybeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaybeer View Post
lipo battery + lipo charger will cost you about 25-30$ - I don't think it's that bad. Check on helipal.com they've got quite good selection, BUT...if you do order, don't forget to check it for reverse polarity. I didn't and burned my DMS/ECS - lesson learned :/
What do you mean by reverse polarity? I have a ton of lipos and chargers and never heard about that. Just wondering I just plug red to red , black to black use a cell balance board if needed set the charger for the correct amperage ie. 2000 mah battery set amps for 2 or if the battery has a higher c charge rate I go higher. I don't want to ruin anything so what do I need to watch for on the reverse polarity thanks.
Gso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Me too but I got lucky and disconected it in time.

Gso, a lot of the 1s heli batteries have the red/black wires switched. You just need to stick a needle in the little holes on the connector to pop the wire leeds free and switch them.

Just make sure that red goes to red and black to black
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks learned something new today. My lipos are 2s to 6s I don't have any 1s ones.
Gso125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

1s is lame anyways.

2s is great for these. I would run nothing else.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:03 PM   #9

Any particular reason you r saying 1s is lame in comparison to 2s? What is the advantage? I'm newbie in this topic.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Any particular reason you r saying 1s is lame in comparison to 2s? What is the advantage? I'm newbie in this topic.
Wheel speed.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #11

So you are getting 7.4V vs 3.7V - what is the point? You don't need all the speed from 7.4V for crawling, especially on micro. Going 1S you save weight and space, which is limited anyway. I would stick to 1S.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Going 1S you save weight and space, which is limited anyway. I would stick to 1S.
1S sucks... doesn't supply enough power without servo suffering. I can go as slow as I want w/2s.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Sure 1s slows down the crawler, but it also reduces the torque and torque is something you want as much as you can get so reducing it makes no sense. There is also no cutoff for a 1s lipo on the stock ESC, but the ESC does have one for a 2s.

I have run both a 1s and a 2s on the stock motor and 2s is by far better, more power, more torque, and a lot more wheel speed when you want/need it. Combine a 2s with a rewound motor and then you have a potent combo.

Now I know there are people out there that swear by 1s batteries but you loose to much to get those slower speeds.

And as T-buck stated your servo suffers as well at the lower voltage of a 1s, not only do you loose a lot of your steering torque it can act funny as well.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #14

Good stuff! I might give it a shot and upgrade to 2s eventually. Now I'm waiting for a new ESC and will be testing my 1s.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So you are getting 7.4V vs 3.7V - what is the point? You don't need all the speed from 7.4V for crawling, especially on micro. Going 1S you save weight and space, which is limited anyway. I would stick to 1S.
Not only is a 1s pack LESS voltage than the stock NIMH, but is is also WAY too choppy on the throttle.

You dont rock a crawler full speed like a race car, but you sure as tarnation need wheel speed for crawling.

Ever heard the tearm "Bump IT!" @ a comp?

Also, the higher voltage of a 2s pack vs the stock Nimh, gives you better low end throttle control, for going SLOW while crawling.

And for the 180, 250 and 350mah 2s lipos I use, space has never been an issue.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Scale Detail Engineering

Yup, I bought 2 1s lipo's as soon as I got my micro and now I never use them... they just don't have the torque, wheel speed or power to the servo.
wanna buy them
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #17

Yes , It finally arrived. Even showed up earlier than I thought. Time to run 1 pack through it and start modding....
69z28rsss is offline   Reply With Quote