Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Kinda loud ESC when I installed 4WS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Kinda loud ESC when I installed 4WS?

So I've been buying a ton of parts for the little micro.

I purchased the GWS Y-Harness with Reverse, reset the ESC and it works perfectly, other than the chassis flex, and the odd noise coming from it.

It sounds like the sound when you actually turn the wheels a bit, but it does it no matter if I'm turning or with the steering in neutral..

Has anybody else seen this issue, or any insight on how I could fix it?

The ESC seems to be getting a little warm.

Pictures coming soon -

Parts installed:

4WS
Micro Rock Trax tires/HR aluminum wheels.
Wheel wideners
HR Low COG chassis
flipped and cut springs
HR aluminum steering links
HR aluminum center skidplate
2x HR aluminum servo mount + battery trays.

I've got some newbright body I'm trying to figure out how to get installed because with the 4WS servo wiring, the stock body will not fit, unless I end up moving the ESC to the rear chassis.
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 AM   #2

If hyou are referring to the high pitched whine, you are experiencing what ALOT of people did back in the day WAY back when ESC's went from low frequency to high frequency switching.

ESC's don't just send straight constant DC power to the motors, they use switching. High frequency gives a MUCH smoother power band, more efficient and cooler running, etc.

So why the noise? Simple. Think about this, what components does a motor have? Magnets, and coils of wire with electricity flowing through them to react with said magnets, regardless of if they are brushed or brushless. What components does a speaker have? Yup. So essentially, if that high pitched whine is what you are referring to, it's your motor acting like a speaker, and there is nothing to worry about, it's normal.
fantacmet is offline   Reply With Quote