Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Wheel Weights for Trail Trekker/mMRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Wheel Weights for Trail Trekker/mMRC

I see the new wheel weights that Losi is selling and their site is showing them for the Trail Trekker. I was wondering if the tires come unglued to add the weights or do you have to buy new tires and rims to use them? I know you can cut/remove the glued tire but that never works out for me.

Thanks for the input!
notez2beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

the tires are glued, but if you put them in the freezer for two hrs, the glue will be brittle and the tires will come right off
i luv duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv duct tape View Post
the tires are glued, but if you put them in the freezer for two hrs, the glue will be brittle and the tires will come right off
Wow, I had no idea it something so simple would work. Wish I had known that in the past. I will be sure and try it this time.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i forgot to mention that i havent tried this, but BEEZLEBOB said in another thread that it works.

have you done it yet?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

It was actually me that said it works in a couple different threads. The glue becomes really brittle and basically just falls apart.
StreetKill831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I was able to use the freezer method, it helped, but the tire did stick in several places, and I had to resort to using an exacto knife to finish the job. I had them in the fridge/freezer. It runs about 0 degrees. Next try will be in the deep freezer which goes to -15 degrees. I also may not have left them in long enough. I bet at -15 for a couple hours will do better. I have 3 more sets to do! lol
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

cool im glad it worked out
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by i luv duct tape View Post
i forgot to mention that i havent tried this, but BEEZLEBOB said in another thread that it works.

have you done it yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKill831 View Post
It was actually me that said it works in a couple different threads. The glue becomes really brittle and basically just falls apart.
Dude, all good ideas are mine!

LOL i wish I had thought of that, id have 4 sets of stock tires....
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Dude, all good ideas are mine!

LOL i wish I had thought of that, id have 4 sets of stock tires....
Haha you have enough good ideas man. Can't be takin' credit for mine too
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #10

I did the freezer method (thanks guys). I did need to use an x-acto still, but it was really easy...just to kind of coax the glue to let go .

Also, I only CA'd the inner bead so that I could just remove the outside beadlock (ok ..fake beadlock) to add/remove bb's.

My way of adding bb's is to use a straw. Simply cut it to 4 or 5 inches (whatever you want) and make that cut at an angle. Put the flat (uncut) end into the tire and pure some bb's into the palm of your hand ..then (holding the tire and straw with your other hand), use the angle cut end of the straw to kind of scoop them (...maybe 3-4 at a time) out of your palm ..until you have however many you want in the tire.
Works for me ...hopefully it works easy for someone else too
BeerInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

My trail trekker is in the mail and I will be throwing the tires in my deep freezer as soon as it arrives. I tried cutting the tires from the last micro I had and it didnt work out too well so hopefully this works better.

BBs vs Lead?

I have read about the BBs and wrapping lead solder around the tires? Is there much difference in performance at this scare or is it a matter of preference?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I like the solder because it takes up less room in the tire.

BB's fill the bottom if the tire, and move around.

I just prefer as close to static weight as i can get, i guess.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
I like the solder because it takes up less room in the tire.

BB's fill the bottom if the tire, and move around.

I just prefer as close to static weight as i can get, i guess.
Couldn't have said it better myself. If you are okay spending a few bucks on the Losi wheel weights I would definitely recommend them. They are heavier and take up less space inside the tire than solder.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Isnt the point of the BB's to keep weight as low as possible in the tire and help the tire conform to terrain? I dont know if it makes as much of a difference in this scale
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I got my Trail Trekker in the mail yesterday (Thanks TURTLE!) and I drove it around a little. First thing this morning I unscrewed the "beadlocks" and have the tires/wheels in my deep freezer. Hopefully by lunch time the glue will be brittle. Thanks to everyone for the info. I will let you know what happens.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Isnt the point of the BB's to keep weight as low as possible in the tire and help the tire conform to terrain? I dont know if it makes as much of a difference in this scale
True indeed.

when you are on flat ground...

but when you try and climb a 30*, 40*, 50*, 60* angle, the bb's falling to the back of the tire, kinda blows.

and w/ this scale, bb's are kinda huge for the purpose IMHO.

having heavier wheels, and NOTHING in the tires, has worked better than anything else for my micros.

if you dont have Billet wheels or washers etc, a lil wrap of thin (14-12 gageish) solder is gonna work great.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I tried adding 30g of BBs to the front and 20g to the rear and hated it. I thought it was too much weight, and it just didn't perform very well. I took them out and wrapped 17g of copper wire to the front and 12g to the rear and it is much better. I may try more weight later.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

maybe this a silly question but what is the best way to attach the trailtrekker wheel weights to the rims?? i was thinking with the thin groove around the weights i could get some thin wire and wire tie them on or maybe really small zipties??? i was getting ready to get a set and need some input thanks.
anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony View Post
maybe this a silly question but what is the best way to attach the trailtrekker wheel weights to the rims?? i was thinking with the thin groove around the weights i could get some thin wire and wire tie them on or maybe really small zipties??? i was getting ready to get a set and need some input thanks.
a little rubber band?

my girls has a shit-ton of these lil black and clear ones she gets from the hair tie section of the supermarket.