Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: If Papa Smurf Drove a Rock Crawler...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #1

Default If Papa Smurf Drove a Rock Crawler...

Thought I would share some photos of my Micro Crawler...
The chassis if made out of plate aluminum, four wheel steering, hi-tech hs55 servos, aluminum links, slightly lengthened wheelbase, semi-drooped suspension with the springs shortened and hooked to either end of the shock, two 3.7 volt single cell 250 mah lipos run at 7.4 volts, xcelorin 8750kv brushless micro motor, spektrum sr 300 receiver decased and heat shrunk, aluminum skid plate... I am sure I am forgetting something, if I think of anything later I will add it to the list.

loki1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Very nice!
atracys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

How's that xcelorin 8750kv working for you?
I picked one up but put it in my micro sct.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

The brushless works great, it takes a bit get used to feathering the throttle, but it has a ton of power available . If you need to get up and over something it'll do it that's for sure. It helps having two 250 mah lipos powering it. The only thing I have a gripe with is the extra chassis weight, the extra traction is perfect, but it is a little top heavy. I need to do a little work with the springs and shock setup, I have a few ideas in mind that should help a quite a bit.

Last edited by loki1982; 03-28-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

How is the low end torque? You mentioned feathering the thottle, does it still slow speed crawl? Any issue with cogging?
notez2beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #6

There can be, but the usable power is enough that the only time it's noticeable is when you have a tire pinched or pinned against or in an obstacle. With that in mind the motor doesn't take any time to build power, if you can get any kind of "stab" with the throttle the motor winds up to usable power nearly instantly. Of course the upside is that when you can turn that many rpms geared as low as you can get it, the whole powerband is very smooth. So it kinda seems like a "six of one thing, half a dozen of the other" sort of situation, more a personal feel issue than anything.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

any video of it? would love to see the brushless in action. What gearing are you running?
notez2beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #8

I'll try to get some video uploaded, haven't been able to find the adapter for my video camera tripod will see what I can figure out though. Using the lowest gearing that comes with the kit. In order to get the motor to mount up to the stock tranny plate/case you have to get a little creative with the dremel tool, nothing too bad just a little trimming.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Scale Detail Engineering

Yup, that's why I didn't put it in mine, it didn't fit! I think it would fit the stock motor mount if you used a larger pinion but then you'd have other problems.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote