Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: homebuilt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #1

Default homebuilt

built this awhile ago, thought i would repost. tube chassis with stock drivetrain, 4 wheel steer using hitec servos, miqlo tires, home built wheel wideners( as this build was soon after micros came out and not alot of parts were available). sure miss this one, it would crawl anything, getting ready to build another micro. moved up to 1/18 losi but with the amount of stuff available think i will try another micro.
Attached Images

73ta455sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

looks good. I really like the tube work and body less design. I would be interested in how you did the homemade wideners though. I hate having to buy wideners or modifying the rims to make them wider.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice rig....I'm diggin the rollers most though. What are the wheels? It appears you threaded extensions to the axle stubs and used nylon pucks for spacers.

Last edited by Midlife Crisis; 08-10-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #4

i use threaded couplers from the model airplane section of my hobby store as the basis for the wheel wideners, made from brass and thread onto axle stub of losi. i then use nylon spacers to fill the gap and cut off excess of threaded end of coupler to get my desired width. you can use ca glue to bond hexes to each end of nylon spacer to grab the axle pin and mount wheels. lately i have been using aluminum tubing to cover nylon to give the appearance of solid aluminum. used this method several times and never had one come apart, even when running the atomic fireball motor.
the one pictured is extremely wide, i use it as a dirt racer, jumps and bashin. i love building the losi crawlers into multi use runners, too many options with these too limit myself. yeah, yeah i could buy a mini t or a desert truck, but where's the fun in that?
going too wide does put additional stress on joints, so unless you like upgrading parts or tinkering with your trucks a lot i do not recommend going real wide, just enough too get full steer outta larger tires.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #5

the wheels are miniqlo chrome/plastic wheels with fake beadlock rings, @ $10 for set of 4
Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Right on Dude! I've got those brass adapters, Great Planes right? Came with 8 pieces with nylon ball cups and ball studs, at least what I have did. Thanks for the info on the wheels.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

brilliant!! good work man. love the tuber!
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote