Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Servos... what do you use, and why...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Servos... what do you use, and why...

Searching the forums for "servo" results in just about every post in the forum coming back as a hit.

I am servo researching. I want to replace the 65MG Hi-Tech servo I have and I'm not having much luck finding a whole lot of reviews and diversity out there.

So, what have you read, or used, or like... and why? Also include any issues with mounting if you went with a smaller or larger sized servo!
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I use the Tpro mg90s. They are metal geared and ahve the same power output as the hitec. They are a fraction of the cost as well. I got 4 of them from hobby partz for like 25 bucks shipped.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilinside View Post
Searching the forums for "servo" results in just about every post in the forum coming back as a hit.

I am servo researching. I want to replace the 65MG Hi-Tech servo I have and I'm not having much luck finding a whole lot of reviews and diversity out there.

So, what have you read, or used, or like... and why? Also include any issues with mounting if you went with a smaller or larger sized servo!
just curious...why are you looking to replace the Hi-tech? I thought that was the good one? Too big? Heavy?
Elastokinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Probably doesn't help, but I use the hs-65hb (karbonite gears vs the metal gears, local hobby shop had it in stock and I had some store credit to use, so it worked out)
gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Seems crazy you'd want to replace pretty much the best you can get. Have you looked into Spektrum's offerings?
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

My hi-tech is faulty. Not sure exactly what is going on but turning to the right it gets to a point and a feather will stop it from turning further right. And this problem is intermittent, about 8 of 10 turns to the right have this issue. Turns to the left like a champ.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'm using the tpro mg as well. It works great and its super cheap.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
coryshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

A 7950th... Do the rear tires even touch the ground with that thing on!?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #9

Using a Spektrum A3040 and it's plenty strong and very smooth. Picked it up for around 18 bones I believe. Heard some metal arms are about to be released for them.
cej255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm really curious about this servo;
http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SH0256.../savsh0256.htm

It has the most torque of any servo I've ever seen that size.

And I'm also curious about this servo;
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...8HV#quickSpecs

That servo is a tad to big, but I wonder if it would work if I used spacers on the mounting bracket.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

And it bugs me a little about these servos only being spec'd to 6v...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My hi-tech is faulty. Not sure exactly what is going on but turning to the right it gets to a point and a feather will stop it from turning further right. And this problem is intermittent, about 8 of 10 turns to the right have this issue. Turns to the left like a champ.
redesign your course for only left hand turns. problem solved

Quote:
And it bugs me a little about these servos only being spec'd to 6v...
is there much demand for micro servos over 6v? Ive never looked.

Honestly I think you just got a lemon, hitech is a popular quality brand.
you can either try another or pick up 3 or 4 of the $9 metal gear servos everyone uses. I have a few from ebay that are identical visually and spec wise to the TG pro or whatever. for the $ if they die they servo boards make great LED,winch controllers,or micro ESC's
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm really curious about this servo;
http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_SH0256.../savsh0256.htm

It has the most torque of any servo I've ever seen that size.

And I'm also curious about this servo;
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...8HV#quickSpecs

That servo is a tad to big, but I wonder if it would work if I used spacers on the mounting bracket.
never heard of savox so it would be a gamble, I dont see why you would need more power than the hitec.
and as far as the other i would never spend $75 for a micro servo on a $70 micro crawler haha
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post

is there much demand for micro servos over 6v? Ive never looked.
All 2s LiPo's are 7.4 volt, that means everyone running a 2s LiPo upgrade are over-volting their servos.

Last edited by Evilinside; 08-15-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
All 2s LiPo's are 7.4 volt, that means everyone running a 2s LiPo upgrade are over-volting their servos.
dont most ESC have an internal BEC that limits to 4-5 volt which is why people run external BECs to get 6v and more to servos?
i dont know about the stock losi micro ESC but to my understanding thats how the aftermarket ESCs are

that and and get more power and torque with the stock motor
Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 PM   #16

I have been very happy with the Hitec and have it on all three micros I have. Try running with 1s2p LIPO instead of the 2s. It really makes a big differnce ant it runs like a crawler and not a rock racer.
Cucamonga Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
dont most ESC have an internal BEC that limits to 4-5 volt which is why people run external BECs to get 6v and more to servos?
i dont know about the stock losi micro ESC but to my understanding thats how the aftermarket ESCs are

that and and get more power and torque with the stock motor
Ah yes, the BEC... something I know nothing about. I've asked questions about the BECs, but never got a straight answer from anyone. People talking about the using BEC's when they turn their crawler and things loose power, or they burn out their electronics... so as far as the round about answer I've been getting is they are surge protectors, kinda. So yeah, I don't know much about those.

I'll use the ESC from my Trail Trekker and put it in my Micro Crawler, that'll give me more speed and torque for certain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucamonga Crawler View Post
I have been very happy with the Hitec and have it on all three micros I have. Try running with 1s2p LIPO instead of the 2s. It really makes a big differnce ant it runs like a crawler and not a rock racer.
Well, I have a 90t motor in mine, so it's slow. But I'm not sure the stock ESC/RX is meant to go lower than 4.8v, and undervolting things can have bad effects too... but I'm not sure on that one.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

From what i understand the simple version is this.

a typical setup has power from battery to power the ESC. it goes to the motor at whatever the batt voltage is, and powers the RX and anything plugged in at whatever the internal BEC is set at.(lets just say 5v)

to get more power to the servo(6v+) and to run higher voltage batteries without freaking out or frying the internal BEC you use an external BEC which is also attached to the battery. it bypasses the ESC and internal BEC and plugs into the RX on the VCC/batt/ side. this now powers your RX and anything plugged into it at the voltage set by the external BEC (6v+)which is why you see people remove the middle red power wire from the ESC plug going to the RX, otherwise the ESC and external BEC would both power the RX

thats the way suggested by castle for the castle BEC
But Ive also seen some who want to power the RX as normal (5v) but for the servo they wire it directly to the BEC for power (6v) and signal of course goes to the RX, Im not sure what advantage this has if any, other than keeping a lower voltage to everything else plugged into the RX and the RX itself.

that being said I dont think we will need an external BEC for these micros. a decent servo and 2Cell lipo should be plenty
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I just tried the "MKS P03 No.4 Copper Gear Servo 10g/2.9kg/.1sec", from Hobby King. Strong, precise, quick, small and cheap.
nigelpheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
RCC Addict

That HK servo direct bolt on? I've had good exp from HK products the last few years

---

Last edited by CrawlinMike; 08-16-2011 at 03:46 PM.
CrawlinMike is offline   Reply With Quote