Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My Micro crawler build - Crawlerx chassis - comp style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My Micro crawler build - Crawlerx chassis - comp style

Well I finally got a chance to work on the Micro Crawler a little so thought I would post up some progress pictures.

Edit: Disclaimer, I apologize for the iPhone pictures. I was building it up and decided to take some quick progress pics.

Got the chassis put together. Was pretty simple.

Got the front end together aluminum steering knuckles, HR steering bar. The Servo was installed quite a while ago, I can't believe how much more torque it has.

Took a pic to show how much longer the Trekker driveshafts are.

Coming together

Got the rear end together with the custom links. The drive shafts are at their limit so I may have to make a custom rear shaft but I want to try running it first.

And just a shot of the aluminum beadlocks and the 3 different tires I ended up buying. Def going to start with the Boggers (on the right). But miclaws will come as with it as stretched out as it is I think any of these tires will look really small.

Should be able to get it finished in the next couple days. I've already de-cased the electronics and taped it up. Will heat shrink it once I get to an electronics shop. I also cut the links for the front so those will go together easy. Also have the Crawlerx wideners for now.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Looking great.Like the custom made links.
PCHILNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCHILNSF View Post
Looking great.Like the custom made links.
Thanks, they are actually really easy. Bought the extension kit from crawlerx and cut to size. I kind of measured wrong at first so they may end up being too long but we'll see.

Also looking at the pics I really wish I would have been more patient and cleaned up the chassis a bit more. If I had the choice of being charged an extra 5 bucks to send me a totally deburr'd chassis I would have totally done it.

Last edited by Tuna; 09-01-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Sometimes when we buy stuff we just want to build.Then later we notice little things.But at least when your bored sometime you can fix it.I'll have to look at that link kit you bought.The polished links look great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Thanks, they are actually really easy. Bought the extension kit from crawlerx and cut to size. I kind of measured wrong at first so they may end up being too long but we'll see.

Also looking at the pics I really wish I would have been more patient and cleaned up the chassis a bit more. If I had the choice of being charged an extra 5 bucks to send me a totally deburr'd chassis I would have totally done it.
PCHILNSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
rik
RCC Addict

Very nice work.on this. I know what you're saying about the tires looking too small with the wheelbase. I noticed it on my ridgeback and ordered a set of miclaws for it. Looking forward to seeing this completed.
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys, I'm open to suggestions on other parts. I read in the "what and where to buy thread" about the aluminum transmission case. I thought it was just for looks so wasnt going to buy it but sounds like it might be worth it. Was also thinking about the aluminium rear lockouts.

I would like to get a new motor too and something to tighten up the slipper.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Hey Tuna How do you like the RC4WD Beadlocks. I might get some If BWD Doesn't restock in the next couple of weeks but i would rather get the BWD's & some wheel wideners (more parts for you to consider ). Oh the waiting for the good stuff is a killer.
RCOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCOG View Post
Hey Tuna How do you like the RC4WD Beadlocks. I might get some If BWD Doesn't restock in the next couple of weeks but i would rather get the BWD's & some wheel wideners (more parts for you to consider ). Oh the waiting for the good stuff is a killer.
I don't have much time with them yet as I haven't run them but as soon as I do I'll let you know. They seem to hold the tire pretty good. I had a bit of an issue with one of the screws being really tight and I thought I was going to strip it. My main reason for choosing the RC4WD ones was simply that I wanted tires also and being outside the US shipping costs/customs/brokerage fees were a concern so I didn't want to order from a third vendor. I want BWD wheels and their wideners but both were (and still are) out of stock. For now the CrawlerX wideners will be going on.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don't have much time with them yet as I haven't run them but as soon as I do I'll let you know. They seem to hold the tire pretty good. I had a bit of an issue with one of the screws being really tight and I thought I was going to strip it. My main reason for choosing the RC4WD ones was simply that I wanted tires also and being outside the US shipping costs/customs/brokerage fees were a concern so I didn't want to order from a third vendor. I want BWD wheels and their wideners but both were (and still are) out of stock. For now the CrawlerX wideners will be going on.
Yea, I also ordered the CrawlerX wideners for now but I am also waiting for BWD to restock. It will be worth the wait though, I just know it. Hows Calgary, went up there once for my bros wedding. Calgary, Banff is probably the most beautiful land i have ever seen and very outdoor friendly. must be great for crawling too!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Well got it all together aaaaand.....it doesn't work. The slipper starts slipping right away, I'm pretty sure it's a combination of the driveshaft length and the fact that there's a ton of extra weight on the rig now. I'm going to tear it apart tomorrow and just tighten it for now.

This is what it looked like before wheels....I was really liking the look of it at this point.

Here's a couple shots of the wheelbase measurement.

Put the wheel wideners on, they work ok. I deburred them and since the barrels are not threaded I recommend threading them on to one of the corners just to cut the threads before trying to stick it all together. Also put some .177 BB's in the tires and removed the foams. Not sure what everyone else is doing with the foams.

This one is a poor attempt at trying to show the size difference since I don't have a stock one for comparison.

Once I pull it apart and tighten it up I think it will be ok for now. I know I'm going to need more torque also.

I still haven't run it due to the above mentioned reasoned but the RC4WD wheels and tires went together really nice, just needed a bit of patience.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Well got the binding issue sorted, it was a simple fix. Now just need to sort out a battery it doesn't last very long with all the weight on it.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well got the binding issue sorted, it was a simple fix. Now just need to sort out a battery it doesn't last very long with all the weight on it.
Get a li-po, You will get plenty of time out of it, Also look into getting a motor from "Getbent" you will notice & love both items.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-buck View Post
Get a li-po, You will get plenty of time out of it, Also look into getting a motor from "Getbent" you will notice & love both items.
Yes I would like a lipo but haven't educated my self on them enough to know what to buy and where to order. I'm not sure what to do about a cut off or anything either. Thinking of going to the LHS today to look for something even though I know there are really cheap options online.

I've been hearing about the getbent motor and would get one but not sure how they are sold. I assume in the classifieds but even though I've been on the forum for 3 years I don't have enough posts to see it yet haha.

On another note, I decided I needed bigger tires so the miniqlo's are on their way. Hopefully they will work with the RC4WD beadlocks.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've been hearing about the getbent motor and would get one but not sure how they are sold. I assume in the classifieds but even though I've been on the forum for 3 years I don't have enough posts to see it yet haha.
Heres the link for the motor...

Predator Micro Rock Crawler Motors
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes I would like a lipo but haven't educated my self on them enough to know what to buy and where to order. I'm not sure what to do about a cut off or anything either. Thinking of going to the LHS today to look for something even though I know there are really cheap options online.

On another note, I decided I needed bigger tires so the miniqlo's are on their way. Hopefully they will work with the RC4WD beadlocks.
I just mounted some miniqlo's on some HR wheels last night. It was a chore but made it work, and it sounds like the RC4WD & BWD's are easier to work with so you should be OK. Truck looks great
Old 09-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCOG View Post
Hows Calgary, went up there once for my bros wedding. Calgary, Banff is probably the most beautiful land i have ever seen and very outdoor friendly. must be great for crawling too!!!
Sorry, missed this. I like Calgary get tired of the weather some times though. I've lived much colder places though so can't complain.

I'm fairly new to crawling so haven't ventured to far outdoors for the crazy crawling spots.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Awesome build man! I wanted to order that link kit from crawlerx, but they only seem to take paypal, which I don't have...def pick up a lipo pack. Worth every cent
longhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhammer View Post
Awesome build man! I wanted to order that link kit from crawlerx, but they only seem to take paypal, which I don't have...def pick up a lipo pack. Worth every cent
Thanks, yea, did some more digging in some other builds and think I found the lipo I think I want 240 or 320 mah 7.4v 2C lipo. I just can't find if this esc has a cutoff, something tells me it doesn't

The link kit is nice, probably enough there to do 2 sets. I ordered 2 sets at the time just so I had lots of extra.

The parts are still coming in so it's not done yet. I want a getbent motor too but I tried PM'ing and didn't get a response, I'm sure he's busy. I'm just afraid the stock motor won't work well with the Qlo's.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #19

im pretty sure stock l
esc has cut off for lipo.
blackfabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:59 AM   #20

Default links lenght

Hi from france
can you tell us what are the lenght of your custom links for use with the trekker driveshafts?
(i just bought the extension kit and the trekker driveshafts from crawlerx)
Thanks

PS: excuse my poor english
fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote