Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Motor options for sumo crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

Default Motor options for sumo crawler?

Are there any options as far as motors for the sumo crawler. A little more power and speed would be nice. I am running 7.4 lipo already. Or how does it work switching to a losi trand and motor with the stock gears already in the sumo?
NSANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I dont know of any direct swap motors but I am sure there are some poulou gear drive motors that would swap in. the motor has a thicker D shaped shaft but with some modding You can get something else to mount up. Ive seen a losi micro motor mounted to one somewhere.
it may just be easier to get a losi micro trans and motor and swap it with the redcat combo. the drive shafts swap out so its cake
this will make your sumo fast because the axles are gear high
Redcat Sumo micro crawler (RSMC) parts breakdown and losi compatibility
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Thanks probably the best bet to switch trans but wasent sure about gearing. A drop in motor would be nice as it would be the simplest option.
NSANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Steve, ur link has no pics!
I'm I interested in these spool type axles tho!
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #5

How did u get he lipo to work with the redcat I have done a trekker / redcat swap but can't get the trekker battery to work with the redcat esc
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Ill try to fix the links to the pix when I have more time, I thought I accidentally changed privacy but I forgot I renamed some albums and broke a ton of links

as far as getting the lipo to work its just voltage... cut off the battery tray solder on some Micro deans. positive to positive negative to negative. Simple
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #7

Thanks for advice I'll try it does the size of wires matter losi wires are smaller than the redcat
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Thanks for advice I'll try it does the size of wires matter losi wires are smaller than the redcat
No prob. the wire gauges you already have there will be fine at this power level
make sure to work on one wire at a time and dont let them touch If you are cutting a plug off the lipo, or any work you are doing to the battery for that matter. its easy to not pay attention and try and cut the plug off with cutters and short out a battery or let an exposed wire you arent working on touch the other
Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #9

Default Re: Motor options for sumo crawler?

Did anyone make an attempt at the losi mtor crossover?
DirtCheapGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtCheapGeek View Post
Did anyone make an attempt at the losi mtor crossover?
I did. It was pretty tough. You have to drill 2 new holes in the losi can, get screws to tap in those new holes, grind down the shaft to a nub, glue on the microscopic gear, and the gains were NADA. The gearing is just too much to overcome. I tried a 90t and a 60t. I couldn't find the advantage.

I saw this link put up here for motors with gear boxes that LOOK identical. They are offered in everything from 5to1 to 500to1 gearing. I think that would be the ticket. I did my best to count the Redcat trany ratio and it seems to be the 50to 1. I don't have any redcat axles to try it anymore or I would order a 30to1 and a 100to1 to display the differences. I am ordering the 30to1 just to see how it does in my S10.

Here is the link to the motors:
http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/60

Last edited by DANALLY; 03-21-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: link
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Those pololu gear motors are alot smaller than the stock sumo setup....
& I still haven't found the best gear ratio for the axles with one yet

They are just to tiny & don't pack the punch needed for the sumo axle...

Stock losi can on the left,Sumo in the center & pololu on the right

I have a BB conversion with the pololu gear head that has 18:1 ratio, haven't put it in any thing yet but it should be a good balance of speed & torque with the sumo axles.

& with the stock sumo trans for a t-case:

Last edited by chevy55; 03-21-2012 at 11:49 AM.
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 PM   #12

I know this thread is a few months old but has anyone made any further developments? I'm pretty sure I could make it work, I'm more concerned with which gear ratio to buy. My sumo is too fast as is (more of all-or-nothing than outright fast) and lacks torque with the big Miclaws on it.
boy&hisdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:24 AM   #13

hey I know this thread is old but just a question. I have a losi micro crawler scaler but want another one to build for just performance. as hard as they are to come by now I looked at the sumo. I have been studying it a bit and the pololu motor/gear set ups and there is one motor that resembles the stock sumo size but way longer # 1091 in pololu web site. I seen a guy in youtube (name Gamyrc )instal this motor and it was very slow but he said torque was way up there. now the size of these are very similar to the losi can. do you think it would be possible to instal a good motor like Danally's predators into the gear set up of the sumo and have decent torque/speed?
scaleistheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #14

well wish I had this sooner to help some people out but here you go... go to ebay and look for this item number: 221032877359 this motor is a direct bolt on and it is about 30% longer (160rpm)- it is not a pololu gearbox/motor (which are the same as the winch on a 1/10) these are the same size as stock just a lil longer. it gives you more torque but takes a lil bit of the wheel speed from stock (with stock batteries) now with lipo it should be close to stock wheel speed. if you change the gear box to the stock one you get it to about 200rpm. a lil more wheel speed and still decent torque. now for this mod you may have to extend your links just a tiny bit. if you go to youtube look for gamyrc he has a bunch of videos wth mods he did (I learned everything I know through him) his redcat is sick. you can make these little things pretty beasty! my next upgrade is ball bearings I heard there is about 21 of them!! good luck!
scaleistheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Hey guys, just like scale is the way mentioned, ebay has longer can motors that are direct fit to the original trans and also offer other ratios, but I also found out that with 4 2mm washers you can also drop in the bigger standard servo motor in it, I personally tried the tower pro mg946r servo motor, but if you have other servos that dont work try those Im sure most of them will be stronger than the stock sumo motor anyway!
Gamyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #16

I am planning to upgrade the motor to a servo motor. What is the easiest way to access the sumo crawler motor? Do we need to pull apart all the shocks, links, battery tray and drivetrain to remove the motor?
cyclops13 is offline   Reply With Quote