Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Grease & Bearings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Grease & Bearings

As you can see I went through some water today (intentionally, I've waterproofed my servos and ESC), but I'd like to regrease the axle gears and the transmission gears. What grease should I use? Preferably something waterproof. Also, any particular oil I should use in the bearings? Or better yet, anyone offer a stainless/sealed bearing kit for the McRC? I can piece together my own, but it's going to be stupid expensive. Hoping for suggestions that cost less than $75. Thanks!
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You look at Fast Eddie's goods yet?
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

They don't have stainless in that size. I was looking at VXB and if I did stainless there, it would cost $75 without shipping. That's for 10 3x6x2.5 bearings (I only need 8, but they come in packs of 10) for the wheel stubs, 10 2x5x2.5 for the axles and transmission, and 2 4x8x3 for the transmission. I could do a mix of sealed and stainless, but that seems like a dumb idea if I can get all stainless.

This is in comparison to the $25 or so I paid for the Team Bluestar bearings for my AX10. Those were sealed stainless bearings and they are freaking AWESOME! Too bad they don't make a kit for the McRC...
Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You mind me asking what you did to the servo to waterproof it? Did u dip it?

I've done and esc in a balloon before to waterproof it but have never tried to waterproof a servo.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
You mind me asking what you did to the servo to waterproof it?
Not sure what he did, but here's one more or less universal way to go at it:

RC Bashers • View topic - How to water proof a servo.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You mind me asking what you did to the servo to waterproof it? Did u dip it?

I've done and esc in a balloon before to waterproof it but have never tried to waterproof a servo.
I used the interwebs and did a lil research First thing I do is disassemble the servo and get to the gears and pack them with dielectric grease.

I usually add a little more to the outside just to be sure it's packed in good.

Then I coat the case in liquid electrical tape to seal the cracks and keep the board and pot dry.

Don't forget the bottom too! And the screw holes.

I usually do 2 coats of liquid tape. Some people coat the board inside the servo, but that still leaves the pot exposed, so I just seal the whole case (though if you need to get inside, it's best to do it before you seal it up ;) ). You can cut the stuff off with an exacto knife if you need to get back in. I bought the dielectric grease at Pep Boys and the liquid tape a Lowe's (it's in the electrical section and most people haven't heard of it). I coated my ESC in liquid tape as well and that also got a nice dunking.

Only things left open were the bind button, the LEDs, and the servo plug (which got taped off when I applied the stuff). I did the same thing to my AX10 and it's worked perfect so far. Coating the boards doesn't heat them up like when you cover the ESC in a balloon and it's less prone to damage. I'm not sure how the grease works, but it's pretty waterproof, so it keeps water from entering the servo from the servo horn. In the pic I didn't pack enough grease into it, you should really coat the gears. It makes the servo a little tighter, but on a metal gear servo you shouldn't have any problems. I haven't put a ton of time on either of my crawlers, but like I said I haven't had any problems yet.

That's all I use to waterproof both of my crawlers.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Looks great! I like the liquid tape. I use it in my workplace and never thought of it! As for the esc...do u put that inside a balloon too to complete the waterproofing or are you using it with the servo plug section and bind button exposed?
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I don't have plasti dip in my country,can i use the esc case and seal it tight with hot silicone (without geting on the pcb).Is there any risk of moisture getting in,like from condensation (even if i seal it tight).Should i put a silica gel bag in there just to be sure ? THX
rapttor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looks great! I like the liquid tape. I use it in my workplace and never thought of it! As for the esc...do u put that inside a balloon too to complete the waterproofing or are you using it with the servo plug section and bind button exposed?
I leave it open. The major circuits are all covered, so I don't see any problems with shorts that way. I do plan to coat the open terminals on the servo plug itself (where you can remove the wires from the plug) to prevent water from shorting that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapttor View Post
I don't have plasti dip in my country,can i use the esc case and seal it tight with hot silicone (without geting on the pcb).Is there any risk of moisture getting in,like from condensation (even if i seal it tight).Should i put a silica gel bag in there just to be sure ? THX
You should be able to find some sort of liquid tape in Bulgaria. It's a tool for electricians, though it may have a different name. The problem I see with sealing the case is you have to glue the servo into the plug so if you have a servo problem, you're screwed. In your case the balloon method is probably better. Take a small balloon, wrap the ESC with it, and tie or glue the end shut. Careful application of saran wrap (or cling wrap) would also do the trick and can be found in your kitchen. Do a few wraps and you should be well protected.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Let's. Say the esc is sealed tight.When its cold outside and you bring the cold car in your hot home,condenzation appears. Can it get in the esc?
rapttor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Your ESC will heat up as you use it and that will keep the case warm. You will probably get some condensation inside the case, but unless you seal it while you're visiting Brazil, there won't be enough moisture in the ambient air to cause any major issues. I'd simply de-case the ESC and wrap it in a balloon or plastic wrap.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ok, so going back to my original question what grease should I use for the worm gears and transmission? I've spent more time answering waterproofing questions than getting MY question answered.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

For the transmission, i just put a little lithium grease around the teeth of the gears, and for the worms gears i had a little extra lucas oil in the garage, so i decided to throw that in. haven't had any binding issues that everyone is talking about, hope this helps
Krazy_Polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

I just swiped some Bel ray waterproof grease from the school shop. I think I'm set now