Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Driveshaft Comparo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Driveshaft Comparo

When you stretch the wheelbase on an McRC, you have to lengthen the driveshafts. There are a lot of ways to do it, but Losi gives you an idiot proof option in the form of a Trail Trekker. I picked up a set of TT driveshafts and decided to measure them out. Here's what I came up with:

That's the stock driveshaft, from U-joint to U-joint. 1.36" fully compressed.

Next is the TT driveshaft. 1.58" end to end.

Last is a driveshaft I made out of two McRC driveshafts. I cut the ears off a male end and glued it to a female driveshaft. It is 1.87" long.

On the right is my modded driveshaft. On the left is the TT driveshaft. Both fit, but I'm using the TT driveshaft right now because it is a single piece. It's also a touch lighter to reduce rotating weight and put less strain on the motor.

Closeup of my modded driveshaft. As you can see, there is very little room for compression travel. 1.9" is about as long as you can go with a driveshaft before you hamper travel. Somehow I stumbled onto the perfect length!

Closeup of the TT driveshaft. Much more clearance and there is no risk of falling out. Plus I have more compression travel for more flex, which I intend to take advantage of.

For reference, my crawler's wheelbase is exactly 5" from axle stub to axle stub. I use Mini-T links to set my wheelbase. If you want your links to be threaded like mine, you need 2 sets of Mini-T links.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Driveshaft Comparo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driveshaft MadMax5978 Newbie General 9 02-11-2010 12:13 PM
driveshaft GearLoDriveSlo Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 11-02-2009 09:48 PM
ESC comparo? Texas Rebel Electronics 11 07-26-2008 05:18 PM
driveshaft MAX climber Newbie General 9 05-10-2007 05:15 PM
Broken TLT axle shaft comparo rckjeep Tamiya TLT Crawlers 11 03-07-2005 11:47 PM