Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Moa!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Moa!!

Just received my latest toy today. The Miniqlo MOA. I have just messed around with it on pillows but initial thoughts are as follows:

1. MOA is pretty cool. With both motors running, it seems to have a nice low end. The dig feature is cool.

2. Incredibly cheap servo. Glitchy.

3. With the tuber setup, the ESC is locked inside a case in the body. I haven't opened it yet. It appears to have an ESC that is uncovered. The battery hookup is different (USB type of plug). Has anyone pulled this apart to change the battery set up?

4. It's definitely a bit top heavy to begin with. What have others done with this chassis to make it better?

I'm waiting for the alloy wheels, links etc. This Hong Kong crap is killing me. Way to long to get stuff.
Attached Images

Rob L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Moa!!

so you tease us with the title and the ONE pic you post doesnt show the MOA setup?

Last edited by spoo76; 03-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I like that body they came up with. Can't wait to see what you come up with!
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm soooo gonna get one of these some day. Dual esc just like my xr. Sickness.
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
so you tease us with the title and the ONE pic you post doesnt show the MOA setup?
Lol. Sorry. I just got a new laptop today and am busy setting it up. I'll get you more pictures this weekend. Stock wise, it's way top heavy but this is a killer looking chassis. First thing will be setting up droop in the suspension and figuring out the internals to set it up for a battery with micro plugs.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ok. Here's a few more. A shot of the bottom first - the motors are located over the plates on the axles, Losi micro-can size.

The front view shows why it's top heavy, way to much height, this rig needs suspension with positive and minus travel, ie. droop. Suspension does not work with out negative travel, all shocks need to have sag/droop.

The charging of the battery absolutely sucks. The electronics are all in this case within the chassis. The battery is actually charges with a USB charger. A definite need for dismantling needs to occur here.

A view of the suspension - 3 links but this has massive articulation. Approximately 70% between front and back.

A view of the MOA, Losi and Redcat.

This is going to be fun. A little tweaking of the MOA should help dial in it's performance. I have to work with the chassis as My MRC, Micro and MOA all have Tube style chassis'. The manufacturer did put the sticker kit over the screw of the chassis (brilliant). I kind of like the stickers so I will probably try and do a little careful cutting around the screws to expose them. Also, the "hood" comes off if someone doesn't like that look.

The motors seems to work very well so far. I wonder what Dan could do with these.

As I said before, the top heavy nature and the glitchy servo are the only things that are an issue right off the bat. I have a few upgrades arriving soon including Alloy wheels and links (just left HK today).

Enjoy!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob L; 03-25-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Any video of it?
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Any video of it?
I'll see what I can do.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Cool, thanks Rob, perhaps some outdoor/rock videos but indoor is fine as well. After seeing this thread I'm considering one but don't want to pull the trigger until I see quality video from a buyer, not a company LOL
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

All I want are the axles and wheels.....
;)
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Just got back in town. The hopups arrived and I cracked the beast open. The chassis and skid plate area all one piece. Photo 1 is of the control box removed from the chassis and opened. The battery is inside the box and sits below the ESC/RX. The switch and the USB port are attached to the board.

I cut the battery, wrapped it and reinstalled in the case for extra "low" weight. The Dean's plug now comes thru the USB opening (photo 2).

I bought the alloy wheel set and wrapped solder around the front wheels. I cut two coils out of the springs to provide some droop/sag. Alloy suspension links and steering links were added.

I'll try and shoot some video shortly. In the meantime, enjoy!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob L; 03-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Recorded a video in my small rock garden in front of my house. My son is going to edit so that I can post it. However, a couple issues arose! After a few minutes thru the rocks, the front wheels began spinning freely. I opened the drivetrain and found that a setscrew in a gear lock had loosened. After visiting 5 hobby shops, I figured out that they are not using standard hex sizes. The 0.9 mm didn't work (too small) and the 1.3 is too big. No standard sizes worked. I ended up using an exacto knife blade and loctite to set it. Also had to add wheel foams, they are way to soft without them. As soon as my son gets the video setup, I'll post the link.

Last edited by Rob L; 03-25-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

looking good!!!!!
Madjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Grrrr. The set screw is not tight enough. Anyone know where to find a 1mm hex key? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Since I have had the tranny opened a hundred times now, I was looking at the motor to see if Dan's motors would fit. The shaft is longer for the worm gears so I was wondering if the Atomic DDT would work. Time to buy one of these Dan!!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
Since I have had the tranny opened a hundred times now, I was looking at the motor to see if Dan's motors would fit. The shaft is longer for the worm gears so I was wondering if the Atomic DDT would work. Time to buy one of these Dan!!

hey rob i was look at the motor and i think its a little different shape then the losi. i think it might be easier to rewind the qlo motors. also did you see the high tourqe motors from rctrax.com?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjones View Post
hey rob i was look at the motor and i think its a little different shape then the losi. i think it might be easier to rewind the qlo motors. also did you see the high tourqe motors from rctrax.com?
Hmm. They might be a little off. When my set screw fails again, I'll take it out and do a better side-by-side comparison. I haven't seen the high torque motor from RC Trax. I'll take a look. Speaking of RC Trax, have you ordered from them directly. I have tried numerous times but when I put my info in and try to go to Paypal, it removes my address and asks for it again. I ended up going thru RC Mart and eTamiya but they don't have everything. Very frustrating!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:23 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
I haven't seen the high torque motor from RC Trax. I'll take a look. Speaking of RC Trax, have you ordered from them directly. I have tried numerous times but when I put my info in and try to go to Paypal, it removes my address and asks for it again. I ended up going thru RC Mart and eTamiya but they don't have everything. Very frustrating!
i havent order thru rctrax or eTamiya only rcmart. i hear that rctrax has bad aftermarket support. but the part number is MQ-M01G (MOA metal gear down motor its 29$ for one motor) i bet danally would rewind it cheaper then that.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

The friggin' set screw issue in the tranny is a real PIA, however, I think I finally fixed it for good. I found a hex screw from a Mini-T that fit. Blue loctite and easy to tighten with normal tools. Then dremeled the top off. It is tighter than its ever been. Hopefully, this is for good. In the mean time, RC Mart is working on getting me a new gear shaft!!
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Well, props to RC Mart. We went back and forth on dealing with the front gear issue I had (bad set screw). Ultimately, they were able to just get a new gear and shaft from RC Trax. It took 3+ weeks, but I got it today! I McGivered the original, so it's good to have a backup when the original fails again. I'm just impressed with the customer service. Very easy and cool to deal with!

Moa!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mk42 Moa or bully Moa... Which is a better choice? Oregon crawler Newbie General 3 08-04-2011 01:26 PM