Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Links, will M2 threaded rod work with Mini T ball ends?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Links, will M2 threaded rod work with Mini T ball ends?

I just got my ball ends, tubing, and a bunch of other parts for the Trail Trekker project. Somehow I forgot to order 2-56 threaded rod, but I have a bunch of M2 threaded rod I've been saving for a while. Will the M2 be too small and slip out of the ball ends, or do I need to go ahead and buy 2-56?

There is only a difference of like 1/10th of a millimeter difference between them, but I don't want to deal with stripped out ball ends.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Links, will M2 threaded rod work with Mini T ball ends?

at that point i justify gorilla super glue or Epoxy. :P
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Shouldn't be an issue. The 2-56 is a bit of a tight fit
Mastah Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
at that point i justify gorilla super glue or Epoxy. :P
No Gorilla Glue, Super Glue, or epoxy on this build. I don't even get to touch the damn thing till Christmas. I have time to fix my error before Christmas, but I need to know if I'm gonna run into problems. Losi uses metric parts on all their stock rigs, I'm almost positive that the M2 is the "correct" size for the ball ends, but everybody uses 2-56 as it's easier to find and a better bite on the plastic. BTW-Hobby Lobby for the M2 rod if anyone is interested.

Bad news is, if I use my M2 rod I will have to buy different tubing to cover my links. The M2 is small enough it just flops around inside the aluminum. Not a big deal to most, but it bugs me. I think I'll check out the carbon tubes the LHS carries. They have carbon tubes down to 3mm OD! Should make for some sick links, even though they've been done before...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i just made my aluminum link covers by tightening down the ends a bit more so it sandwiches them in place
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
No Gorilla Glue, Super Glue, or epoxy on this build. I don't even get to touch the damn thing till Christmas. I have time to fix my error before Christmas, but I need to know if I'm gonna run into problems. Losi uses metric parts on all their stock rigs, I'm almost positive that the M2 is the "correct" size for the ball ends, but everybody uses 2-56 as it's easier to find and a better bite on the plastic. BTW-Hobby Lobby for the M2 rod if anyone is interested.

Bad news is, if I use my M2 rod I will have to buy different tubing to cover my links. The M2 is small enough it just flops around inside the aluminum. Not a big deal to most, but it bugs me. I think I'll check out the carbon tubes the LHS carries. They have carbon tubes down to 3mm OD! Should make for some sick links, even though they've been done before...
Cover that 2mm rod with some heat shrink and it will help keep the sleeve from fitting so poorly.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
i just made my aluminum link covers by tightening down the ends a bit more so it sandwiches them in place
I may end up doing that too. Are you using 1/8" tube for your links? 0.014" wall? I got the stuff I have out of a K&S rack at the LHS. I know it'll work, I'm just anal. I also have 2 3/32" sticks of brass tube, thought about doing up some bumpers and stuff but I need the truck to mock them up on first...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Cover that 2mm rod with some heat shrink and it will help keep the sleeve from fitting so poorly.

Damn! In between replies you snuck this in. I never even thought about shrink tube between them. There's the answer!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

i used 1/8"v .014"
Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

How are you guys cutting and bending yer tubing and rod?
malofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

you bend after everything is together. then you put a nail or screw into a piece of wood and bend to your desired angle
Old 11-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Carbon can chip and scratch.. I'd stick to the alloy or even steel and brass...
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malofish View Post
How are you guys cutting and bending yer tubing and rod?

I built bent links for my 1/18th MRC a few years back. A lot of guys will use an actual bender, thread the link, and use set screws in the end of them. When I built mine I used M3 threaded rod over aluminum, and used a hole drilled in my desk to bend them.

I'll use the same hole when I bend my new links for this little guy. From bending my M3 links it has a nice radius pressed into the wood, forming a perfect curve to bend more things. It doesn't gouge or scratch the aluminum, it doesn't smash the inside of the bend (can't with the threaded rod inside), but if you're not careful you can split the outside of the bend open. For bent links you really don't wanna bend over 45 degrees anyway. This only works if using threaded rod inside.

If you're wanting to bend hollow tube for a micro cage, bumpers, sliders, or something, buy or build a nice bender that'll give you over 90 degrees without damage to the tube!
Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsewhere View Post
Carbon can chip and scratch.. I'd stick to the alloy or even steel and brass...
You ever owned an 1/18th MRC Pro Roller? I have, they're carbon, and only good for about 2 weeks before I break them at the skid holes (5th chassis replaced by Infectious RC Ti plates). Only reason I'd do carbon links is because this is a micro, and they'd have steel rod inside them. I'm gonna run bent links now anyway, and I can't bend carbon. I've seen guys angle cut the ends of the tube, but I'm not a fan.

Links, will M2 threaded rod work with Mini T ball ends? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8-32 Ball Rod Ends neillarson General Scale Talk 3 09-22-2010 07:49 AM
Need steal ball inserts for rod ends neuro242 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 09-02-2009 10:04 PM
rod ends with 6/32 hole in ball? dystance General Crawlers 12 01-27-2008 06:30 PM
Rod ends for threaded rod Rat1 Newbie General 8 12-21-2006 03:46 PM
Ball links, rod ends, what ever you want to call them... skrewdriver General Crawlers 5 11-02-2005 09:42 AM