Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: A Different Kind of Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default A Different Kind of Crawler

I haven't seen any of these on this forum, so I guess I'll be the first. For my birthday I picked up a used Mini-Z Overland with a Pajero body. I've wanted one of these for a long time and this was a killer deal, so I picked this one off ebay.

Yes, they are only 2WD, but they have solid axles and a rear diff lock. Because of that, they can climb some pretty extreme angles. They also have a decent amount of flex to them for what is essentially a pan car chassis.

This one came with a number of choice goodies. The chassis is a Kyosho clear red chassis with Top Cad finned aluminum battery clips. The steering knuckles and tie rod are purple annodized from GPM, as are the oil filled shocks.

The wheels are also from GPM.

The only major problem with this truck was the battery clip had broken and was not included with the purchase. Instead of replacing it, the previous owner simply glued the motor to the case. Talk about stupid! Fortunately, GPM parts are still available for this truck and because Overlands are in low demand, hobby stores have slashed prices of their leftover stock. So some goodies are on order. Not only does chiseling out the motor suck, but this is a nice Atomic Mods motor too. Very annoying.

One nice mod this Overland received was an internal antenna. This completes the scale look quite nicely and makes it easier to save a rollover.

I took this rig outside once, but the batteries died pretty quickly. I'll go out with some new ones and see how it performs. Obviously this will be more of a prerunner truck and not a full crawler, but even with the 2WD, it is pretty damn capable. I've got the new motor clip on order, as well as a new rear gear box, gear box mount, lower control arms, shock mounts, and rear gear cover. Most of these parts are cracked from abuse, so might as well save on shipping right? It's quite fun for what it is. Can't wait for the goodies to start coming in
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

Default Re: A Different Kind of Crawler

i like it. very scale looking. whats the wheel base on it?
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Don't keep buying alkalines. They have no punch because they have no current. They also drain very quickly. A nice set of nimh will get you a more fun experience, especially with that motor. I'm gonna assume its a Nuke, but at the same time, its probably just a neo mag can with a mini-z arm in it.
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The sticker was ripped off the motor when I pried it out. I have an Atomic AWD Stock from my XMODS I am going to pop in when I get the aluminum parts in. As for batteries, I am definitely going to invest in some soon. Alkalines are all I had lying around when I opened up the box.

Rik, the wheel base is 95 mm and the track is 61 mm. I also realized because these are 1:24 scale, the bodies would make perfect McRC scaler bodies. You can get Hummers, Land Cruisers, and Cayennes. Also the rims are the perfect size for a true scale truck, if you were trying to make a more stock looking rig.

Last edited by 8695Beaters; 11-24-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #5

Those are little aluminum mags right? Wow, How long are those shocks? Do they have ball ends on both sides? They look like they are threaded too. That thing is pretty crazy.
MattMead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yes they are aluminum. They're made by GPM. I just did a test fit on my Stepside and they do NOT fit at all. Pin slot is too big and there isn't enough thread to tighten down the rim. Plus they are obnoxiously small. The shocks are pretty short. Probably not more than 2" long and of that they only travel about 3/4". It's a fun little toy, too bad Mini-Zs are still pretty pricey. Every once in a while good deals like this one come along, but more often than not these are twice the price and totally stock. They are definitely dated though. They still use AM transmitters. The newer Mini-Zs use DSM and have much smaller boards. Still fun though.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Not going to lie, It was the Mini-Z overland series that got me inspired into micro, without them I never would have looked at the Losi McRc
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
Not going to lie, It was the Mini-Z overland series that got me inspired into micro, without them I never would have looked at the Losi McRc
For me it was actually XMODS. My buddy and I had Hummer H2s and I modded mine out a lot to be better off road. I ended up frying it when I tried doing a 6-cell conversion. Good thing I have his rig now! And this one...oh and my three McRCs too...amazing how they accumulate.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8695Beaters View Post
For me it was actually XMODS. My buddy and I had Hummer H2s and I modded mine out a lot to be better off road. I ended up frying it when I tried doing a 6-cell conversion. Good thing I have his rig now! And this one...oh and my three McRCs too...amazing how they accumulate.
Oh Xmods were my middle ground. I owned 5. a 1st gen completely moded out as a civic drift racer, and 3 of the 2nd gen cars and a truck lifted and modded for street racing.
later a butchered the truck for parts for my McRc, and have only one car left!

EDIT: There is only a Mitsubishi evolution left, stock cept a body kit.

Last edited by Intashu; 11-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Rik, the wheel base is 95 mm and the track is 61 mm. I also realized because these are 1:24 scale, the bodies would make perfect McRC scaler bodies. You can get Hummers, Land Cruisers, and Cayennes. Also the rims are the perfect size for a true scale truck, if you were trying to make a more stock looking rig.
I always wanted one of these when they came out, but need to find one of those bodies they look nice!

Do you know the wheelbase on the landcruiser?

Last edited by jprock; 11-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.
jprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh Xmods were my middle ground. I owned 5. a 1st gen completely moded out as a civic drift racer, and 3 of the 2nd gen cars and a truck lifted and modded for street racing.
later a butchered the truck for parts for my McRc, and have only one car left!

EDIT: There is only a Mitsubishi evolution left, stock cept a body kit.
I have got a ton of XMODS, probably close to 30. My local Radio Shack knew I worked on them and would call me if they had any returns. So I ended up with a bunch of broken cars and trucks that only needed a little TLC for almost nothing. I should really sell a few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprock View Post
I always wanted one of these when they came out, but need to find one of those bodies they look nice!

Do you know the wheelbase on the landcruiser?
I do not, but I think it's on Kyosho's website. They still have all the info up for the Overlands. The Pajero is the short wheel base, not sure which the LC uses.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It pays to check your mail every day. Look what I got yesterday!

After digging out some of my MR-01 motor spacers and cleaning the case off a bit more, it was a perfect fit. Plus the red looks great with the Pajero body.

The lower arms were just too good of a deal to pass up, so in the went.

Also found a few leftover wheel nuts from a used Mini-Z package I got recently. They're the same size as McRCs BTW.

I also replaced the internal antenna wire with a thicker and longer wire. This will improve the range and it'll be harder to accidentally break the wire off the ring terminal.

This is the motor that will be going in. I think the motor that is in there now is a modified Kyosho motor. The magnets in this motor are crazy powerful.

The wires are crazy long and reversed because I had this one in an XMODS truck before. Time to put it in a Mini-Z where it belongs!

I'm going to shorten the wires back down and swap them and when the gear box comes in, I will install them all at once.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have got a ton of XMODS, probably close to 30. My local Radio Shack knew I worked on them and would call me if they had any returns. So I ended up with a bunch of broken cars and trucks that only needed a little TLC for almost nothing. I should really sell a few...

I do not, but I think it's on Kyosho's website. They still have all the info up for the Overlands. The Pajero is the short wheel base, not sure which the LC uses.
Got any xmod trucks? preferably lifted? I would love'm to death. I can trade a Losi Mini-T if you want! D:
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

the lc is 98mm same as the mini z enzo
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I have trucks, but none I want to sell. Well I do have that Hummer with the blown ESC, but I doubt you would want that. I do have quite a few Gen 1 and 2 cars though. Actually when I'm home for Christmas I'll have a look around. I might have a spare board I can throw into that rig. Everything is at my parent's house, so I don't know right now.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

ah damn. and here I threw away my esc when I butchered the truck for parts! I thought to myself I shouldn't, it isn't broke, but when would I ever need it? (always happens when I throw something away!)
Old 11-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Have you considered a Danally re-wound motor? or are you going for speed > crawling ability?
Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

That GPM looks sooooooo good. Can you make a video of that thing offroad? I always wondered how they did 2wd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
the lc is 98mm same as the mini z enzo
awesome thanks only 4mm different then mcrc.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Have you considered a Danally re-wound motor? or are you going for speed > crawling ability?
I'm happy with the Atomic motor. It really woke up my XMODS truck, so I think it will give me similar results in this one. Just need some better batteries.

Next time I'm out crawling I will make a vid or two. I've only got two more weeks of class and it is going to be KILLER, so it might be a while. Depends on when I have time. Like I said I took it out once and it was pretty good until the alkalines went.

I remember when I bought my friend's XMODS he had a Gen 2 car chassis that was only about half a car. if I still have that, the boards are the same so I might be able to put it all together into one running truck. I'll find out when I go home. I've got so much XMODS crap, I've forgotten what I still have haha.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Next time I'm out crawling I will make a vid or two. I've only got two more weeks of class and it is going to be KILLER, so it might be a while. Depends on when I have time. Like I said I took it out once and it was pretty good until the alkalines went.

I know that feeling tuesday thursday classes only all my finals are on one day lol... well good luck I'll be watching this thread close I like these things!

A Different Kind of Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1:1 RC Crawler Monster Truck (kind of) BARK Chit Chat 13 03-27-2007 10:34 PM
What kind of crawler is this? trickedoutTLT06 Chit Chat 2 09-09-2006 03:12 PM
What kind of Motors do you prefer in a ClodBuster Crawler ? André Frees Electronics 12 03-30-2005 06:10 PM
what kind or crawler? badtodabone General Crawlers 17 09-02-2004 09:17 AM