Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: The Old School Scorpion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Old School Scorpion

I always admired the first tubers...Sniper, Scorpion, Campbell buggies, etc. Most of the others have been done in the micro scene so I thought I would try one that hadn't been done.

Here is a pic of one of the old school Scorpions:

Name:  scorpion 1.jpg
Views: 12011
Size:  89.2 KB

Here is my start:

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1598
Size:  91.7 KB
I had the hood bent down like the real one and didn't like it much. I cut the welds and bent it flat...good?

Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 1576
Size:  98.9 KB

Name:  photo 9.JPG
Views: 1679
Size:  88.7 KB

Next to a Trekker for scale reference:

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1840
Size:  79.7 KB

The axles are Redcat Sumo and the rims are my MCT2 wide offsets. It is really wide but fits the look I think.

I am not sold on if I want to go on with it. I'm not in love with it like I usually get as I build. Don't get me wrong, I think there might be something to it here. I think done right with flat paint, big power, and 4ws I think I might pull it off.

If I do continue building it will get a Stroker kit, Losi trans, Redcat drive lines, Redcat shocks running droop, Sidewinder Micro ESC, 3 channel receiver for independent 4ws, and an 11.1 Lipo. If the power or speed doesn't work right I would just change the axles out to the Losi ones to make it more of a crawler.

SO....I need input, comments, suggestions, even if it's bad!

THANKS
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Old School Scorpion

Personally, I think it'd look more scale if you pulled the axles in a little closer under the tube work and pulled the nose down like the original. I expect that with this rig you are looking for the "exaggerated" look typical of most micros though. If you're looking for that "close to scale, but unstoppable" look I think you're headed in the right direction. I can't wait to see the results no matter!

Just curious, are you keeping the servo on the axle, or chassis mounting like the real deal? I'm about to get started on my Mog build with these axles, and I want to rob your ideas for a track bar if chassis mounting.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I like it so far if u don't like it you can always give it to me ;) good work
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I too was thinking about bringing the tire in. I have a set of SCT2 rims I can throw on but didn't want to take the miclaws off the MCT2 rims. I only have the one set of miclaws. I think I'll throw them on the losi axles so I can get a better look at the skinnier look. I got to try to bend the hood back down and work with it. I might try to put the servo inside the rig and do a linkage setup. I wouldnt do a track bar tho (panhard bar) as I'll just do a 4 link...most likely.

I guess we will see!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Looks fun! like a tube hummer, Dark flat paint some cool jaws like on the A10 warthog, fast stroker motor and 7.2 or 11.1 volt lipos I think that would be a fun go anywhere RC.

....MAKE IT AMPHIBIOUS! ...jk

only suggestion is on the front hood tube maybe put a center bar in if your not making panels just to fill that in a bit
jprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprock View Post
Dark flat paint some cool jaws like on the A10 warthog, fast stroker motor and 7.2 or 11.1 volt lipos I think that would be a fun go anywhere RC.

only suggestion is on the front hood tube maybe put a center bar in if your not making panels just to fill that in a bit
Definitely a flat color...and I have a cool way to do some diamond plate metal panels. I always planned on a hood and panels...just haven't gotten there!

I think the next thing is to pull the hood back down and work on the angles. I really like the hood set-up on the real rig and want to copy it. If I don't slant the hood it will never look right!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
RCC Addict

So here is what it looks like with the Losi axles under it with my MCT2 rims. I think I like the width better. I threw in some old seats for fun...no idea if I would use them or not.

You can also see the slanted hood now. By no means is this finished. I plan on doing the 2 part hood like the real rig.

Name:  photo 11.JPG
Views: 1465
Size:  86.2 KB

Name:  photo 12.JPG
Views: 1392
Size:  91.4 KB
Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I like this build. Creative and high quality. Looks like a capable little rig in the making.
LavaCapCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Awsome work so far! Subbd
TekmoCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavaCapCrawling View Post
I like this build. Creative and high quality. Looks like a capable little rig in the making.
Thanks man...LITTLE? It'll be the biggest micro I've ever done

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekmoCrawl View Post
Awsome work so far! Subbd
Thanks. I just hope I keep interest in it. I think the seats are going to go BY BY! I need the room for the electronics. Not to mention that the seats don't quite fit to scale. It will look good on the outside but not built as a scaler.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Start of a hood.

Name:  photo 13.JPG
Views: 1405
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  photo 15.JPG
Views: 1482
Size:  99.0 KB
Old 05-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It's about Time you started my build lol looks like a micro subzero!!!
smuggl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

make it a scale rig at that size. I demand to see riders in this rig!
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Its going to be hard to find seats that fit the scale. It's just so custom size and finding buckets that look right could be hard. I'll keep an eye out tho.

It is about time I did a build. Sadly enough summer is my best time for working on stuff...and in Az it couldn't be a worst time. My garage gets so bloody hot! I have a cooler but it's still tough.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

When Heath Biggs and his scorpion competed in ttc and various comps he allways wore boggers....id kinda like to see it with a set of boggers. I also bought some tiny polystyrene diamond plate that looks pretty scale on my 1:24 bronco....maybe look into that fer the panels. I hope to see it with all the lights!
malofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by malofish View Post
When Heath Biggs and his scorpion competed in ttc and various comps he allways wore boggers....id kinda like to see it with a set of boggers. I also bought some tiny polystyrene diamond plate that looks pretty scale on my 1:24 bronco....maybe look into that fer the panels. I hope to see it with all the lights!
I would have to start over and shrink it to run boggers. They r just too small for this rig. Maybe I'll build a second one smaller. I noticed now that I messed up on the top of the cage. It needs a wider radius bend for the windshield frame. It needs to taper more instead of go straight up on the sides.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #17
RCC Addict

This is a really cool looking ride. I'll make one for boggers! I already started on it last night.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungi View Post
This is a really cool looking ride. I'll make one for boggers! I already started on it last night.
Shhhwwwwiiiinnnnng! Your on top of things fungi!!!
malofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Hey Dan, just wanted to let you know, I whipped up a chassis to drop my 80T stroker in with the Redcat axles last night. You're in for a good time buddy! This thing does flips, wheelies, and backflip 360s if you catch an edge just right. Even with the Stoker being an 80T, it seriously lacks bottom end grunt. If you're wanting to actually crawl this thing shoot for over 100 turns. Mine will crawl, but it doesn't like it. It's jumpier than a stock motor on 2s, gets bound easier, and has very minimal motor braking without me using reverse. Slick rock, or any surface where you can open it up, is a joke with this thing though. It's raining here in Central Oregon, and I got to feel like the Southern buggy guys for a few minutes this morning! I'm thinking something around 120 turns with the ESC you mentioned for the drag brake would be an awesome setup.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Hey Dan, just wanted to let you know, I whipped up a chassis to drop my 80T stroker in with the Redcat axles last night. You're in for a good time buddy! This thing does flips, wheelies, and backflip 360s if you catch an edge just right. Even with the Stoker being an 80T, it seriously lacks bottom end grunt. If you're wanting to actually crawl this thing shoot for over 100 turns. Mine will crawl, but it doesn't like it. It's jumpier than a stock motor on 2s, gets bound easier, and has very minimal motor braking without me using reverse. Slick rock, or any surface where you can open it up, is a joke with this thing though. It's raining here in Central Oregon, and I got to feel like the Southern buggy guys for a few minutes this morning! I'm thinking something around 120 turns with the ESC you mentioned for the drag brake would be an awesome setup.
Thanks for the heads up! Saves me some time that I can spend on building. I did a 120 turn Stroker once and it ran good and strong...no drop in power due to the extra winds. I think it might be a good combo too!

I also might try this rig with the 100t stroker and the Redcat axles just for fun. I'll keep it to 2 cell battery though.

The Old School Scorpion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School of Doom - School Made Video Trailer LR3 Chit Chat 8 09-24-2010 09:26 AM
old school/new school chevy mud bogger josh hayes 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 10-01-2009 05:22 PM
Reign J2-tt... Old school to new school 1tom2go Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 10-27-2008 08:32 AM
Lets see your "School" bodies ... College, High School, etc. Locked Up Paint and Body 15 08-18-2008 12:09 AM
ax-10 scorpion vs. ax-10 scorpion RTR? Jpond Newbie General 12 04-22-2008 07:19 PM