Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Idea for anyone!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Idea for anyone!

Was thinking about something other day. I need weight sometimes in the front of my rig for steep climbs. Ever see those thermometers that have the water & the temp gauges that float.

Was think you could put a tube on the rig w an air pocket that has a floatation device attached to a weight so everytime it tilts the weight go's to highest point. Any opinions help this will pro & con my idea. Only other thing i've seen that would help my situation is "lavacomps" return springs.
RcLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Idea for anyone!

The heavier the weight, the bigger the flotation device needed. Seems impractical to me. Why not do what everyone else does and put weight in the tires...bbs if I'm not mistaken. Take out the foam, put in some bbs. That way, they stay low which is where you want the weight. Or wrap strips of lead around the wheel. Simple, practical and non-cumbersome.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm just adding to it. Aint going to take much to float something under pressure ever try to swim to the bottom of a pool just holding an arm wing?See it being as big as a straw but chassis length.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If want to get crazy it could be an X & what ever tire is highest will get the weight.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The problem with this is that in order for something to float it's relative density has to be less than the water it displaces...so you'd actually be shifting the weight (water) to the low point.

~Chip
WValtakis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Think water would weigh more than the weight the floating in it?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Exactly...thats why it floats.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Now that w a lead weight attached to it.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I'm sure theres more boyant liquids too.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

>.<
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Yup, mercury...just fill your tires half full and call it a day.

~Chip

Disclaimer- don't play with mercury...it'll kill you.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

If your going to fill tirez w liquid it would be sofium chloride like a tractor does. I'm still on the tube. If your just going to criticize piss off.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I wasn't criticizing...just trying to explain the physics behind the situation. I'd suggest a read on the subject of bouyancy and density but I'm done...carry on.

~Chip
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm good on reading it might hurt. I just the idea playing w these big glass thermometers at my store.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

+1 for the solder wire inside the tire trick.
csb510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I already have all that. I'm just trying to add to it. My latest setup are danally's delrin wheels w miclaws i have 2 metal washers in each wheel pretty heavy but not as heavy as my other w aluminum HR wheels w 20g of lead shot in each & lavacompcrawlings brass spacer kit w fork nuts. I got some solid metal chunks velcro'd to my steering servo also on both.

I've heard of cop cars having something like this in them to prevent roll overs. "Weight shift"

I just crawl by myself & cant hook a tow strap to the front & have another rig pull me like 1:1 so this idea came up. I can see it working better as the rigs get bigger. Sometimes to get the front end down i go reverse a lil but always makes me slide & lose my position. Something to counter balance that & put the wheel/wheels back down would allow me to stay on line & keep forward momentum. & when going down it the weight will move back. Nobody puts weight on the back but if it moved there only when u went downhill that would be a plus.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I don't think cop cars would have moving weight. Any kind of fluid weight will always shift to the side of direction of motion. Like when you go around a corner and you have a bunch of stuff in your trunk, it always slides to the outside of the car. In a rollover, shifting weight would cause the car to rollover more easily, not prevent it. I think this problem would occur on a crawling truck. I used to run droop on my MCRC and I noticed when the high tire unloaded it would pull forward and cause the truck to roll. There was no spring to resist the moment of the tire. The water is even heavier and would exacerbate this issue.

As far as climbing downhill. I think you still want weight low and in the front. Putting weight up high moves the COG higher and will make the truck more likely to tip, since its natural balance is to pull forward. Weight low and in the front would prevent the truck from naturally dropping forward.
8695Beaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

It was the early stages of esc. Now all vehicles have to have it.

Shifting weight works though. I can get couple seconds faster if i loosen the seat belts on my gokart & throw myself into the corners on the track. I'm limited to the karts performance if i strap myself in tight.

Seems like my idea sux so i got a ?

If your crawling & 1 front tire is lifting off the ground. Truck is on an angle the the opp front tire is planted really good. In what front tire would you want more weight to be if you could change on the fly? So you dont roll.

Idea for anyone! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just an idea ??? cameraman Georgia 2 07-05-2012 08:03 AM
Anyone have any idea what this was? Zuk90 Chit Chat 10 03-28-2011 06:19 PM
Idea spannerboy General Crawlers 3 02-22-2006 03:12 AM