Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Uh Oh.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Uh Oh.

Like they say, one is never enough.
Been out of the forums as of late laying with my SCX10, lets just say it got out of scale...

anyways, today I saw a sweet offer on Craigslist for a Trekker like new in box, and open to trades. I had this ol Losi Mini-T sitting around for JUST this reason! and sure enough he was interested... So I brought a new toy home with me today.

Sitting behind my new toy is my Original micro crawler, Currently in the 'shop' for a loose slipper clutch, which while it's glued into this body is a pain to get to the bolts holding the cover on. Should have used less glue.

Now the only question is, like most of us here, what to modify first!

I am thinking of making a Honcho out of the orange hood ford pictured above. got to make the rear cage however. Any suggestions on what's a good budget setup for armature brazing?
The Black ford body there remains my favorite but it's cast metal and heavier than sin. too heavy for this scale as practical use.

(sorry, Iphone photo's are kinda grainy in my basement.)
Intashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Uh Oh.

the best thing in my opinion first is to get rid of those crap stock rims and tires, HR beadlock rims or a better deal is a set of danallys beadlocks with some TSL swampers or Mickey Thompsons and of course a lipo!
jpmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

i sorta agree with jpmurphy with one exception... Danally will do the pvc stock rim mod at a fair price!

so you dont have to buy hr beadlocks...
but i can attest to danallys beadlocks..

we have baja claws and boggers on our micros... but right now everything is apart. Also you could do miclaws!!!!!

but waht to mod is towards what you want this rig to do!!!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I'm no stranger to modding these crawlers. my jeep is a shelf queen that functions. (the purple jeep actually won readers ride in RC car action a while back)
I'm considering doing the PVC mod myself actually. it's a good idea!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intashu View Post
I'm no stranger to modding these crawlers. my jeep is a shelf queen that functions. (the purple jeep actually won readers ride in RC car action a while back)
I'm considering doing the PVC mod myself actually. it's a good idea!
pvc mod is nice and cheap.. wrap solder around inside of rims for weight or add washers cut in half..
for me I tried the pvc mod.. cut the pvc but couldnt get the bead cut... which Danally has a lathe... now to buy a lathe @ $500 to do a few rims isnt worth it to me.. now if I had more to do with a lathe to vouch for it id do it.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

So I have a handful of good idea's what I am going to do with this guy.

They're just tied down like that to make sure it runs and works and will not burst into flames or smoke.. I plan to move the electronics back, and the batteries centered on the esc plate.
First actual mod was to pick up a pair of 2.4v 700 mah batteries. I assume this will give me 4.8v and 1400 mah... but frankly all I really know is it works, and they are heavy.
I did this becasue I am wanting much longer run times even with the added weight, and I don't have the money for a Lipo. This was $1.50 at a local junk shop (Ax man)

also scored a 7.2v winch battery for my scx10!

My other plan is to get Worbla thermalplastic and make a plastic version of my cast 1951 ford pickup. and make a wood flatbed rear. Here's an inspirational photo:

Cept balsa wood mounted on a brass frame instead of the diamond plate.
and I'd 3d print it.... if I owned a printer.... or software.... or money. I can convince my girlfriend to buy the worbla with me for her crafts.. and just...... borrow some of it

I also want to take a crack at making my own Big block kit inspired by Danally's. cept I already got a motor planned. That's probably the last thing I'll do however.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

cant wait to see!!!!!!!!!!!! love the the old trucks... even fords...
Old 09-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm typically not a ford guy, but there are two reasons I was drawn to this particular truck... 3 if you want to be picky (i dont see many of them)
1. I love that grill, it's different and aggressive.
2. the FIRST true grave digger was a 51 ford mud truck. and it looked sweet. although his was brownish red, I want it gloss black.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

This is what the cast body looks like on a MRC (my first truck)

and with a really poorly thrown together rear end:

Thoes are Mega tread tires btw. Cheaper than Minclaws and make the thing run like a monster truck over everything. Still got them sitting in a box, but they're not for this truck.

I am thinking of making the rear a Dually too. I got to mod a spare set of tires so they fit, and the inside tire to sit a little bit closer to the center than the stock width.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

u had to go there.. just cut my wrists why dont u!!!!!!!!!! Our family are DIGGER fans!!!!!!! we go to Diggers Dungeon every year when we go to the outer banks NC...
Old 09-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
This is what the cast body looks like on a MRC (my first truck)

and with a really poorly thrown together rear end:

Thoes are Mega tread tires btw. Cheaper than Minclaws and make the thing run like a monster truck over everything. Still got them sitting in a box, but they're not for this truck.

I am thinking of making the rear a Dually too. I got to mod a spare set of tires so they fit, and the inside tire to sit a little bit closer to the center than the stock width.

WOW dude.. that is saweeet...

now you say these tires are better than MiClaws.. have u used MiClaws???
i just did tonight and they are b1tchin!!!!!!

but still ill most likely try a set of your tires when i find them!!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Grave Digger 1950s Truck 1-24 Scale Monster Jam Hot Wheels Vehicles Collectible Die Cast Cars and Play Sets by Mattel

It's a cheap toy. but the cast metal is just too heavy.

I was stupid as a child my first truck ever (traxxas stampede) I themed after monster patrol.... Since then I've grown up to digger.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I was careful not to say better. and I haven't used minclaws, Mega threads are not as quishy even with the support ribs removed, and they're not on beadlocks. They're just cheaper (shorter) and wide. It was a good $4 alternative to $20 (plus shipping)

you can find them at walmart, fleet farm, they're a odd find and yet all over.
http://www.toysrus.com/buy/vehicles-...46053-11853637
thats an example but they sell single trucks alone too.

Last edited by Intashu; 09-28-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: megatread link
Old 09-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

hah i hear ya man!!! however... I have learned recently.. no replacement for displacement... even on tires..

pony up the $25 (after shipping and waiting 3 weeks) then get a set of danally beadlock rims (regular if sumo axles or offset if trekker axles)... and you will be $50 in... way more than $4 walmart specials... but you will like it mucho gracias!!!!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

That's the catch. I gotta keep the budget for the whole build under about $50 (minus the cost of worbla thermal plastic)
and I gotta get the torch and stuff for brazing! Only competition I'll be going up against is my dad's stock Trekker. else it's a lot of trail rides for this not quite shelf queen to be.

O.o If I break budget I think me and my trekker will be sleeping in the car. The woman will kick me out.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
I joined the Band!

Quote:

O.o If I break budget I think me and my trekker will be sleeping in the car. The woman will kick me out.
pffft.. car aint bad.. make sure to put 600 thread count sheets out there and a nice gel pilow from sleepys.... then you will find yourself in the car more!!!!!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Are these tires for the Micro Raminator? Nevermind I see the other link posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
hah i hear ya man!!! however... I have learned recently.. no replacement for displacement... even on tires..

pony up the $25 (after shipping and waiting 3 weeks) then get a set of danally beadlock rims

I got my Miclaws yesterday (9 days from order to receiving from HK).

My first impressions: wow, they are very tall. I've modified my stock wheels to widen them and the tires still rub on full lock turns. However, they will climb obstacles I didn't dream of on my stock trekkers or micro rock claws. They're a little pricey for just a set of tires but they are worth it IMO.

Last edited by csb510; 09-28-2013 at 09:35 PM.
csb510 is offline   Reply With Quote