Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Mike Chino's Ridgeback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mike Chino's Ridgeback

Frustrated! I got my ridgeback up and running, it has a mg90s servo, 90t Danally motor, 250ma s2 lipo. I fire it up and test, turns left turns right, pull the trigger and motor sings, but when I give it full throttle the front wheels turn left, the old servo I had in it did the same so I believe I can eliminate that, motor is new, so I'm thinking radio or speed control, anyone have any other suggestions before I tear it back apart? this thing has no room so I really didn't want to put the Sumo receiver in, I did try to bind the speed control to another Losi radio I have but it didn't work, I was holding the button on the speed control down with the radio on, I'm not sure if that is how to bind, anyway any help or ideas are appreciated.
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Mike Chino's Ridgeback

Frustration continues, i took out the old Losi receiver/speed control and bench tested the sumo receiver/speed control, works purfect, so for kicks and giggles i hook up the old Losi reciever/speed control and it works purfect. i think im going to just use the Sumo one and put it all back together and see if its ok and save the losi one for another project down the road. only other thing i could think that was different with the bench test is that it wasent under any load spinning the tires. not sure
Old 10-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
RCC Addict

No idea on the electrics, but nice rig! What are you using for links and ball ends. Those sure don't look like Losi.

Sent from my SCH-I535
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

There Traxas ball ends with 4-40 allthread cut to length, and covered in styreen tube. it does give it a nice look but wayyyyy over kill in the Beef department, just using what i have on hand
Old 10-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Did you drill the axles out to M3 for the Traxxas balls, or they pop onto the Losi balls? I have a TON of these rod ends in my 1.9 MRC parts. They are way overkill, but won't ever break and look good on a comper.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I wanna drill them for 1/8" carbon rod links anyway...

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeChino View Post
Frustrated! I got my ridgeback up and running, it has a mg90s servo, 90t Danally motor, 250ma s2 lipo. I fire it up and test, turns left turns right, pull the trigger and motor sings, but when I give it full throttle the front wheels turn left, the old servo I had in it did the same so I believe I can eliminate that, motor is new, so I'm thinking radio or speed control, anyone have any other suggestions before I tear it back apart? this thing has no room so I really didn't want to put the Sumo receiver in, I did try to bind the speed control to another Losi radio I have but it didn't work, I was holding the button on the speed control down with the radio on, I'm not sure if that is how to bind, anyway any help or ideas are appreciated.
I had the same setup almost and had the same problem, new motor changed the servo(mg90s), then the ESC and even the receiver but it kept happening. I can't tell if its the battery. I ran a 25c 2s 250 lipo but at full throttle its more like 50c according to manufacturer. Try a 15c or 20c.
FYI...I just put a stroker 180 motor in my ridgeback and the problem is gone, same ESC and servo.
cjgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I believe the twitching servo is a matter of wire routing. If the motor and battery wires are intertwined with the servo wire the voltage in the motor wires induces the servo twitch. Probably only happens at full throttle or close and only when everythings in the rig? When I decased my esc I had this problem for a while. Try to rout the high voltage wires away from the low voltage wires as much as possible. It's hard on the tight rigs and may require wire length mod.

Last edited by LavaCapCrawling; 10-19-2013 at 03:16 PM.
LavaCapCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

That would explain why it didn't do it when everything was spread out on the bench, gona put the Losi one back in and re wire fingers crossed.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The bottom links are the old style Losi balls and cups, again extra left over stuff. and no i didn't drill anything. Once i get it running i will get better pics of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Did you drill the axles out to M3 for the Traxxas balls, or they pop onto the Losi balls? I have a TON of these rod ends in my 1.9 MRC parts. They are way overkill, but won't ever break and look good on a comper.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Made sure nothing was touching, and it still does it, tried another servo, and even put the sumo one in and it did it, im going to try mounting the reciever on the front axle, i dont know. lol
Old 10-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Low battery in tx or truck?

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I have had this exact problem. Its the higher wind motor and a cheap servo. Mine was an 80t and a MG90s. Same failure with a 80t big block and a MG90s. No matter how I routed the cables it did it. Bought a new MG90s and it stopped. Out of the 5 of them I had on hand it would do it on 3 of them. I swapped over to hitec servos and never had an issue after that. I figure it is the motor throwing off a field and the servo just picks up on it.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

WOW you guys must be looking over my shoulder, i got the mg 90's in a 4 pack, and i tried another one and its working for now with the sumo reciever, charging the batt wile i take care of a few hunny doo's and i should b testing again in an hr, thanks for all the help guys it figures it would be something simple. see it does pay to get into the hobby late, that way most of you will have had the same thing happen, thanks again.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

OK, lol i am using the Sumo radio and receiver/speed control, no glitch. so i say to myself ok lets try the Losi receiver/speed control, in foward its fine, but reverse it starts twiching, so i go back to the Sumo, all is good, set the trim and go hit the rocks, well after a min i pick it up to just check it and the trim is off, hmmmm, so i re adjust it and back to the rocks again the trim wacks out again, so i am going to head to the LHS in the morning to get a new HiTec servo. I aim dying to crawl with this thing, it needs more weight up front but it climbs like a goat.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
RCC Addict

You can send the rest of those MGs my way if you want...lol. I've had nothing but good luck with them, but some do have trouble. DANALLY says something like 1/5 have problems. Still not bad if you consider the price.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 10-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

The only prob i had at the end was the trim setting, i am not sure if it wasen't the servo horn slipping, I will try a different one in the morning before i go to the LHS. And for the price i couldn't resist it was like 4 of them for $20, I will continue to use them because i have also herd good things, just trying to rule out whats up with the twitching in reverse on the Losi receiver/sc and the trim.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I have run the snot out of them. In my smaller crawler built along the old thought"When in doubt; throttle out" I run a mg90. In my trekker with the 80t big block and neo mags I couldn't keep a mg90 in it. After about 4-5 runs it would just foul out like yours are.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I Really appreciate all the comments and ideas, tomorrow will tell. With everything i have into this rig another $25 isan't going to break the bank. and 89redranger if the new servo is the fix you pay the postage and i will send you 2
Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #20
RCC Addict

It was just a joke buddy. I really can't believe these servos are giving you that much trouble though. I'm almost wandering if I shouldn't switch to Hitec next time I need servos. I've got an Xmods car I'm converting to 2.4ghz, which does something similar. Involuntary steering under load. I'm using a Sumo micro truggy board, an MG90s (just for mockup, a smaller 5 gram will go in the car), and the Xmods 130 motor. It's been apart for a month trying to figure it out. Now I'm wandering if that servo wasn't my problem as well...

Sent from my SCH-I535

Mike Chino's Ridgeback - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chino's new Toyota chino63 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 77 06-03-2014 10:49 PM
My take on the Ridgeback rik Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 100 11-17-2012 04:15 PM
Chino's TTC FJ45 Build chino63 2.2 Scale Rigs 196 10-06-2012 10:33 AM
Agent00111's Ridgeback agent00111 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 19 06-21-2012 07:46 AM
My Ridgeback TMC dockman Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 07-10-2011 05:33 PM