Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Lipo help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Default Lipo help.

Probably a dumb question but here it goes.

I have an Ares ethos quadracopter that uses a 300mah 1s lipo (3.7v) that I wanted to try using with my micro crawler. They use the same Losi battery connector.

I played it safe and checked the plug with a multi meter and the polarity seems to be different... Easy enough, right? Switch the polarity and I should be good to go?

So I grabbed some new connectors and a short length of wire to make a splice that switches the polarity (so I can easily switch between both RC's.

With that said, when I went to test, the ESC won't turn on, and after a few seconds being connected the battery starts to heat up and voltage drops to nothing.

I was under the impression of I had the polarity the same I "should" be fine? My apologies, I'm electrically challenged.

Thanks
JKred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lipo help.

What you described is a short circuit, where the battery wires were connected directly together. Perhaps a possible wiring error or loose connector in the polarity reverse switch? Supplying 3.7v to a device capable of accepting 4.8v - 7.2v will not cause damage by itself. Something else had to cause the rapid current draw from the battery. The ESC is probably just fine which is the important part.
Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

A picture of the setup would help a lot
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

Well, I still don't know where the short circuit was, but I cut the heat shrink off and re-soldered the wire, added new heat shrink and all is well.
JKred is offline   Reply With Quote