Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Question regarding wheel weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Question regarding wheel weight

hello all, Im new to the micro cralwer scene. question for you guys. is there any advantage to adding weight inside the wheel as opposed to outside? i saw a video on youtube in which a guy crammed in 10 large bb's (sling shot ammo) into the backside of the wheel. what are the pro's/con's of doing that rather than taking the tire off the wheel and deleting the foam and adding bb's?

Last edited by jason02ws6; 01-12-2015 at 03:38 PM.
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Question regarding wheel weight

Link to video

http://youtu.be/A386bjfmrf4

Sent from my iPhone
Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I use standard bb's for my kids bb gun. My thought is that they always roll to the lowest point in the wheel so they keep the center of gravity lower.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopfather View Post
I use standard bb's for my kids bb gun. My thought is that they always roll to the lowest point in the wheel so they keep the center of gravity lower.
That make sense Chop. I was just curious if anyone else has seen this version of adding weight or tried it.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #5

I actually watched that video when researching the subject myself and decided to go a different ,but similar route. With my stock losi tires/wheels I ended up removing the foam, wrapped soldering wire around the wheel and re glued the tires back on. With my rc4wd beadlock's and Baja claws I tried the bb trick. I opted for 20 in each front tire ,but the whole advantage is how you can add or take away to your liking so long as you have functioning beadlocks mind you.
krazyglu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyglu View Post
I actually watched that video when researching the subject myself and decided to go a different ,but similar route. With my stock losi tires/wheels I ended up removing the foam, wrapped soldering wire around the wheel and re glued the tires back on. With my rc4wd beadlock's and Baja claws I tried the bb trick. I opted for 20 in each front tire ,but the whole advantage is how you can add or take away to your liking so long as you have functioning beadlocks mind you.

Beadlocks are definately on the ordering list!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #7

I should have ordered mine years ago, the weight, feel and look is awesome. Took about 3-4 weeks to get them from Rc4wd ,but it was worth the wait.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

BBs are the way to go. I've done dozens of micros and every one got bb's. The rims I sell are stout but not heavy. Because they are true bead locks You can take them open and add or subtract them easily.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I honestly have to say, I tried the BB method and didn't like it. I really didn't like how they seemed to "slosh" around, and make the truck jerk when driving on flat ground. I also felt they threw me off while climbing. I didn't like the Bb's shifting around inside the tire, it didn't seem smooth enough for me. My personal favorite setup for climbing are the wheels on my blue Toyota. They are some of Danally's older wheels with the split washer weights on them. They are the perfect weight, and they rock on the rocks! They may not win any beauty contests, but they really kick some A$$! At least that's my opinion.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I use buck shot in my tires. Nothing beats the density of lead!!!
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 02:52 PM   #11

Hmm buckshot now that's a cool idea. R.Billy I definitely feel and see the "sloshing" as well, not sure how I will like moving weights. I have not got to test the BB's extensively so I may go another route also. Cool to hear different methods and just find what works best for you.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Here is my thoughts on the sloshing weights...I think i like BB's so much cause with how slow I crawl you can't tell. Ya I hear it slosh from time to time but have never seen it cause me problems that other weights didn't cause. If the tires are moving fast I can totally see a difference! Again...JMO
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
Here is my thoughts on the sloshing weights...I think i like BB's so much cause with how slow I crawl you can't tell. Ya I hear it slosh from time to time but have never seen it cause me problems that other weights didn't cause. If the tires are moving fast I can totally see a difference! Again...JMO
just a random thought, and being random i haven't even really put much thought into this thought, but what about coating the bb's in something? rattle can plstidip perhaps??? that should reduce the sound and even add a tiny bit more weight. would it limit the ability for them to move inside the wheel???

Question regarding wheel weight - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mrc wheel weight question k_ogre Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 04-21-2011 12:19 PM
Wheel Weight Question... jeepster73 Newbie General 4 10-25-2010 06:23 PM
Wheel weight question. mpjl95 Venom Creeper 11 03-11-2010 03:52 AM
Just got my kit. Wheel weight question... y2kgtp Venom Creeper 7 01-03-2010 10:23 PM
Wheel weight QUESTION calikingcrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 03-12-2009 12:17 AM