Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Can Losi be my budget crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can Losi be my budget crawler?

Hi, new to posting, been reading forums four months! :-) My birthday fast approaches, and wife is again frustrated I can't think of anything I need or want.I have a full size project car, but my 3.5 year old and almost four month old keep me from driving it right now, it's a 72 Super Beetle. Anyways,I have four X mod cars and trucks, none of which is a capable off road vehicle or crawler. And half of them are written out. Interested in micro scale, want to build my own frame once I play around a bit, maybe aluminum body like Mr Masher 1/24 Losi is about the budget I feel comfortable asking the wife for, and they SEEM pretty capable for the size.Need opinions, comments, concerns!! :-) :-)

Sent using Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk
penneyma79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Can Losi be my budget crawler?

Mmm... Concern. Don't you think that a 1/24 might be too small on the long run? User possibilities seem a bit limited to me. Why not try to find a nice Nightcrawler and work from there?
MaFoDes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaFoDes View Post
Mmm... Concern. Don't you think that a 1/24 might be too small on the long run? User possibilities seem a bit limited to me. Why not try to find a nice Nightcrawler and work from there?
I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion. Only thought micro size due to availability of model bodies..

Old 09-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by penneyma79 View Post
I'll look into that, thanks for the suggestion. Only thought micro size due to availability of model bodies..

Ok, checked into the above suggestion more, but three to four bills is much to steep for me right now, any time I even suggest spending money on pleasure items, my wife cringes, and I confess,I may not have a ton of time to play with my new toy truck, but I hope to interest my son enough to build a scale track fit mine, and his rc grave digger I got him for his birthday..I look forward to building my own parts and tinkering, usually do that more than play anyhow..

Old 09-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

As someone with lots of experience with the Losi Trail Trekker, I thought I should respond. The losi is not "too small", and the "user possibilities" are far from limited. I would personally think a Nightcrawler would be far more limiting. My micros can go places you would never think possible, and they travel well. You can literally crawl them anywhere, even on the kitchen counter if you want! Also, I can, have, and will make just about anything from a Trail Trekker because of its versatility. You can't turn a Nightcrawler into a jeep, truck, van, semi truck, 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, etc. and still have a full scale vehicle. There are many different aftermarket parts available, such as complete chassis, frames, wheels, tires, motors, you name it. And you can easily build your own frames from practically anything, brass, styrene, model kit frames, etc. And when it comes to bodies, possibilities are endless! 1/20 Lindburg model kits look the most scale, but any 1/24-1/25 model kit will do also. I have a couple of 1/10 rigs, but it's the micros that I truly love because of how relatively in-expensive they are in comparison. Right now my twin hammers is shelved because I can't afford the upgrade parts to replace the broken ones. Losi micro parts are far cheaper in the long run. Just be careful, because they are also extremely addictive! I hope this helps, and I don't think you'll regret it if you get one.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ok, bought used Sumo off Amazon, drives great, crawls like a beast, even with my triple A's. Eventually I do want Lipos, but promised wife I wouldn't go crazy.yet. My three and a half year old loves it, but I fixed one of my old xmods, he likes it cuz it's faster..
I've been using my old designer skill to lay out a scaler frame from brass too. My plan is to use the Sumo parts with only bolt on mods for now, those will take enough time, don't want the truck down if I have the itch to crawl it while building my indoor crawl spot. Nothing much to take pics of, yet, hopefully this coming weekend. Slightly used obviously means the rear servo motor sounds in it's teeny tiny gear, so I'll need to procure a fix for that too, any ideas would be welcome..can nylon gears be glued, or epoxied, or need a replacement?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
I joined the Band!

First mod I did to my sons sumo...

broke the dividers out and lipo now. Only use 1 but put 2 in for balance...

Micro sumo and 2 zippy 350s by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Can Losi be my budget crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Budget Losi ESC Decision, Will it Work? Big Tex Electronics 14 04-05-2012 02:02 PM
Budget Crawler neil1983 Newbie General 1 02-19-2012 05:52 PM
Looking for budget crawler motas Newbie General 16 10-21-2010 07:44 AM
Need build sheet for Losi CC on a tight budget neuro242 Newbie General 2 08-16-2009 04:49 PM