Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Aftermarket servos with the stock ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Aftermarket servos with the stock ESC

What aftermarket servos are people running with their stock Losi ESC and having long term success. Long term success meaning that the servo and the stock ESC are not getting fried under normal use and are functioning well together for some time. Please be specific and post any aftermarket servo combinations that didn't work and what should be avoided? Any other info about the limitations of the stock Losi ESC could be helpful.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and over View Post
What aftermarket servos are people running with their stock Losi ESC and having long term success. Long term success meaning that the servo and the stock ESC are not getting fried under normal use and are functioning well together for some time. Please be specific and post any aftermarket servo combinations that didn't work and what should be avoided? Any other info about the limitations of the stock Losi ESC could be helpful.

Myself and 2 buddies all run the HT 645mg and have had no problems yet . Mine is a week old now , and sees 4 or more battery charges a day . My buddies got theirs when they first were released , same kinda use . We arent being nice to these things . Mine has twin short steering rods ( instead of goofy stock long rod ) and is pretty direct to the short alloy horn . Added stress on the servo, and still holding in there ( knock on wood ) . I have been monitoring temps , and not much heat at all . Only complaint is the noisy motor hahaa . Hope this is just a vicious rumor , and my Ht's aren't in jeopardy hahaa . Gotta be an isolated bunch of issues , bad batch of product . Who would release a product with servo specific electrics ? I am sure it is like the rest , and accepts near anything lol . Been wrong before though lol .
outlikealight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Any info??? My stock servo is fried and I need to get something to replace it. Anyone running an aftermarket servo with the stock losi ESC that is having success? I am trying to figure out if I should just order another stock servo, which I would rather not have to do if I can upgrade without having to change the ESC. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default esc

I installed a Hitec mighty mini friday night and this morning my esc fried.
jason yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hobbico TS-35MG here, been using it since I got the truck and it's working fine. ESC doesn't even get warm, neither does the servo.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and over View Post
Any info??? My stock servo is fried and I need to get something to replace it. Anyone running an aftermarket servo with the stock losi ESC that is having success? I am trying to figure out if I should just order another stock servo, which I would rather not have to do if I can upgrade without having to change the ESC. Any suggestions will be helpful.
My stock ESC has survived a couple of weeks worth of abuse with a HS645mg. My son's ESC is also still going strong after a week with the HS645mg. I wouldn't get another stock servo.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info guys and I'm glad someone posted that their ESC fried because that is the basis for why I am asking these questions. Of course Im not happy that that guys ESC went... sorry dude.
I have read a few other posts with people writing that they killed their stock ESC from aftermarket servos.
What is causing this to happen. It seems like enough people have had this problem for it to not be just a bad batch, unless it was a big batch.
For anyone that has fried their ESC did you figure out why? Was it endpoint adjustments set to far? any other clues?
I'm just trying to figure this out so I can decide what route to replace my broken servo. If the stock one can't handel normal use with a little weight in the wheels and the aftermarket servos fry the ESC. What does one do?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm no expert but i would say that a fullsize servo, or a mini with lots of torque, draws much more current than the stock one. When you ask the aftermarket servos to turn, they turn no matter what it takes. In this case what it takes is alot of juice. Thus too much current is being pulled through the esc to the servo output. It's like putting a 10 turn motor on a 20 turn ESC. It's just too much. The esc can put out more power to the motor than it can to the servo. However aftermarket servos are drawing to much current for the little stock esc to handle. Result, they heat up then eventually fry.

Just how i see it.
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Who's your Daddy-0!

I'm running a stock servo with aluminum beadlocks and all 4 wheels weighted with no probs for a while now.....I tightened the servo saver down tight though....Works fine for me?
Attached Images

TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Nice rig man, looks great, good luck with that servo.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Who's your Daddy-0!

Thanks, I've been running it with the same beadlocks on another LMC tuber I had. Ran it at a comp a few weeks ago......it's been fine for a couple of months now? The front has 5 1/4oz weights in them and the back has 3 1/4oz in them....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

seems like were all having the same problems. I just upgraded to the tekin fx-r and a hitec 225 mg and all seems fine for now. Went with teh hitec 225 because it is a perfect fit, just do yourself a favor and get the aluminum servo arm.
Drvnbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Wouldn't running a CC BEC help take some strain off the stock ESC. I think I'm gonna try one on my MRC when mine comes in.
cutlaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i did one stock and two hitech might minis in 48 hrs
i finally switched to the hitech 645 and have had 3 months of fun with no ecs problems... doesn't even break a sweat ...

i will add the cc bec once i upgrade the ecs and get a lipo
uberalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaSS View Post
Wouldn't running a CC BEC help take some strain off the stock ESC. I think I'm gonna try one on my MRC when mine comes in.
Yup, first thing I did was buy one, wired like the sticky said, no problem,signal one comes from the receiver,power comes from the bec, esc still powers the receiver.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:28 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I just mounted up a Hitec 225MG in mine. Dropped right in and seems way tougher. Same size as the stock one so no mods needed.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Been using a Spektrum z590 for the last couple months. No esc problems, and no servo heat issues. Holds position well and has a bit more torque than stock. Was able to mount to the stock plate with some super tough 3M trim mounting tape. Will eventually get and drill an AX-10 plate, but the tape works for now. Still pondering why people have had esc issues. The stock esc is a retuned Mini-LST esc. Have one with a 1/10th scale servo conversion and never had problems with that either.
MidniteMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drvnbeing View Post
seems like were all having the same problems. I just upgraded to the tekin fx-r and a hitec 225 mg and all seems fine for now. Went with teh hitec 225 because it is a perfect fit, just do yourself a favor and get the aluminum servo arm.

Okay so I lied!!!! good 15 minutes of real crawling and this piece of sh!t took a crap on me!! So pissed right can not believe it. I am about to throw my mrc in the river!!! But unfortunately that would be a waste of money, much like this hitec 225 mg!!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Okay so I lied!!!! good 15 minutes of real crawling and this piece of sh!t took a crap on me!! So pissed right can not believe it. I am about to throw my mrc in the river!!! But unfortunately that would be a waste of money, much like this hitec 225 mg!!

go full size... can't beat the power

plus some added weight up front
uberalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberalles View Post
go full size... can't beat the power

plus some added weight up front
Yeah that's what I was going to go with and the damn LHS talked me into the 225, so what should I mount the 645 with or should I just fab up my own mount?