Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: What to do

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What to do

hey, just looking at my options for a mod or two. I have removed the battery plate, moved the electronics, wheel weights, tinted windows yada yada. but i will be making a trip to the LHS here soon.

I was thinking on a bigger servo for the steering cause i find the stock setup weak.

what do yuo guys think are the best mods for a few bucks (40 ish). Just looking for ideas. I just want to have a good all around crawler.
Ryan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I got a Hitec 645mg less hten forty bucks and made my own servo plate and it mounted up great.
GixxerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

a full size servo would definately be good, make sure you get a bec also to protect your ESC from that servo.

I would through as much weight in your wheels as you can for now and lower it down and you will be on your way.

but with the new tires being released you might want to just pick up a set of them.
they will be worth every penny!!!
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yeah uh this might sound dumb but could you explain the BEC to me?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

the BEC takes direct power from the battery and supplies the servo so it's not drawing power through the ESC.

I killed my stock ESC with an upgraded micro servo.

in all my experiences with RC, it's best to be overkill when it comes to electronics.
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

alright, i did a bunch of reading the BEC sounds like a great idea. Any recomendations on a certain one? I see everyone is talking the castle one, i'll have to see what the store has when i get there.

i've been looking lots at the hitec servo but do you guys think there is a better one to go with thats not to damn expensive? thanks,
Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Castle BEC.. 19.99.. i have 5 of them.. they work great
billysnarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan33 View Post
alright, i did a bunch of reading the BEC sounds like a great idea. Any recomendations on a certain one? I see everyone is talking the castle one, i'll have to see what the store has when i get there.

i've been looking lots at the hitec servo but do you guys think there is a better one to go with thats not to damn expensive? thanks,
645mg is a great servo for the price. Sure there are better ones, but not for cheap. I have been having good luck with the 645mg servo and the stock ESC. I am running this same setup on two different MRC for a few weeks now. No problems with the escs or servos and we beat the heck out of them.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #9

I was wondering if you could use a Airtronics Voltage Regulator like this one http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/477105.asp , and its a fraction of the price of a Castle one. But then again i could be wrong. If i am it would be great if someone would let me know, so i don't go down the wrong path. I have a hitec 645mg, but after reading all the issues, i am on hold in regards to installing it.

Or will i have to do the trial and error test. Blue smoke fail, no smoke pass. hahahaha
jccrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The old saying you get what you pay for couldn't be more true than it is in this aspect of the hobby.

I'd go with the Castle BEC...almost everyone runs them, they're rock solid, and the best part is they're programable with the Castle Link.

You'll be hard pressed to find anything better
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote