Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Another Stock Rims Into Beadlocks How To

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another Stock Rims Into Beadlocks How To

So, my new Mini Rock Bashers arrived and after reading this thread: 1.9 Beadlock conversion, so easy it's stupid I headed down to Home Depot eager to pick up some 2" pipe. I was standing there in the aisle looking at these huge 10' sticks of pipe wondering how I was going to get nice even narrow sections from it. I don't have a band saw or a chop saw and I can't cut straight with a hacksaw. So I was just wandering around the store thinking about it when I found some conduit adapters that fit tightly over the wheel. I figured that these had a nice square edge and I should be able to get a clean cut on them with a cut off wheel mounted in the drill press. So I shelled out $1.09 x 4 to make a set of bead locks. Kind of expensive compared to the $3.97 10' stick of pipe, but a lot easier to work with.

I found these on the electrical conduit fitting aisle of Home Depot. They are called 2" box adapters. They fit nice and snug over the wheel just as they come. I cut them 18mm wide and used a deburring tool to put a slight chamfer on the inside and outside edges of the plastic ring. I also drilled a couple of 1/8" holes in the ring so that the tire can breathe. They hold tight and aren't cutting into the tire at all.

Not my idea, just a different execution of an old idea. Hope it helps someone out.

Some pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by toybuilder; 11-05-2008 at 09:21 PM.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Like the idea of using pipe easy, cheap, and simple
jpterbl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
No idea what I'm doing

You got them made! Looks great. Can't wait to check them out.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

the only thing it that there is little room for lead weights then.... and make sure that u take the sharp edges off of the faux(now real) lock rings as well as the adapters u are using...other wise it cuts through the tires bead = bad!!
karth'ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Looks good! Nice to see pix that show the process.
schmenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I just got a set of the blue compound Mini Rock Claws and they are not working with my beadlocks. I have yet to figure out why, but the bead of the Rock Claws pulls right out. The Rock Bashers hold just fine. Tires are the same compound and the beads don't look much differen't. I must be missing something obvious....
Old 11-13-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

so all i have to do is buy 2.0 inch pvc pipe and cut it the same width of the wheel
Mr.Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #8

i did the same on mine but i had some stainless 2 inch pipe by 1/4 inch wall that i used just used the saw at work and they worked great wont rust when water gets in them and added alot of weight to them too
bryota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryota View Post
i did the same on mine but i had some stainless 2 inch pipe by 1/4 inch wall that i used just used the saw at work and they worked great wont rust when water gets in them and added alot of weight to them too

Now thats a good idea Make them into locks and add the needed weight @ the same time You could even use thicker wall pipe in the front and thinner in the rear to adjust the weight where you want it..I am going to give this a try Now to order some more wheels
sddill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

so the inside diameter of the pipe needs to be 2'' or the outside diameter needs to be 2''???? help???
Mr.Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Inside needs to be 2".

Steve
vegaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:25 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks I was wondering about this
NiCk- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

That's some impressive work for a guy who claims he can't cut a straight line with a hacksaw! The ring may need to be wider for the blue claws. The bead may be softer/thinner.
On a somewhat related note, I wrap 3 rows of plumbers lead solder around the center of my wheel for weight. Works AWESOME.
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

would it be posable to get a clean cut with a mitter saw? i got my blue claws from tcs today and i still have a foot or so left of 2" pvc laying around from when i had a drift car.
cammok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammok5 View Post
would it be posable to get a clean cut with a mitter saw? i got my blue claws from tcs today and i still have a foot or so left of 2" pvc laying around from when i had a drift car.

Not for me, my cuts look like crap, I ended up just using masking tape as a guide when I cut mine.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
That's some impressive work for a guy who claims he can't cut a straight line with a hacksaw! The ring may need to be wider for the blue claws. The bead may be softer/thinner.
On a somewhat related note, I wrap 3 rows of plumbers lead solder around the center of my wheel for weight. Works AWESOME.
Thanks. I ended up getting some 2" plastic pipe and cutting it with a hacksaw after all. The rings came out pretty even. I did cut them wider, 20mm wide this time instead of 18mm. I also beveled the edge a little more. I also replaced the screws with some long M2 bolts through the rim with nuts on the back. They are holding the claws tight now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Not for me, my cuts look like crap, I ended up just using masking tape as a guide when I cut mine.
I used a 2 1/2" hose clamp as a guide for my hacksaw. Thanks for the idea C*H*U*D! Simple and it worked great. I just tightened it up around the pipe and cut right up against it.

I'll post some pics later.

Last edited by toybuilder; 11-16-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Cutting the ring 20mm wide (.788 inches). Notice the hose clamp being used as a guide for a straight cut.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Beveled edge. I used a deburring tool. It doesn't have to be exact, just make some space for the bead of the tire to squish into.
Attached Images

Last edited by toybuilder; 11-16-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Oh...good idea Toy!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

20mm on the nose.....that's one accurate hose clamp you got there!
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote