Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Are wheel wideners helpful on a mini ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Are wheel wideners helpful on a mini ?

I think my rig could benefit from a wider stance. My only concern when looking at pictures of Losi minis with wideners on them is that because the widener is stretching the wheel away from the turning knuckles it seems like when the wheel turns it isn't pivoting, but more is being dragged forward and backwards to change direction.
Does anyone have experience with this? I hope my example makes sense. With sticky new blue compound tires I can just envision the tires being very resistant to redirect and since I'm running the tiny stock servo I just don't want to overload it.
My buddies have run wideners on their 2.2 and it was a nightmare how bad it made their crawlers perform. They would get hung up on everything. However I do feel like a little more width would ad stability to the mini crawler because they are so small. Anyones experience with wideners would be helpful. Thanks
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #2

I don't have any experience with this, but using wideners is definitely going to affect steering geometry somewhat. All that extra leverage on parts, especially the servo, could cause some problems. If anything it's going to take a little more power from the servo to turn the wheels. And, as you said, the wheels are going to rotate more than pivot when they're towards the end of the axles.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and over View Post
I think my rig could benefit from a wider stance. My only concern when looking at pictures of Losi minis with wideners on them is that because the widener is stretching the wheel away from the turning knuckles it seems like when the wheel turns it isn't pivoting, but more is being dragged forward and backwards to change direction.
Does anyone have experience with this? I hope my example makes sense. With sticky new blue compound tires I can just envision the tires being very resistant to redirect and since I'm running the tiny stock servo I just don't want to overload it.
My buddies have run wideners on their 2.2 and it was a nightmare how bad it made their crawlers perform. They would get hung up on everything. However I do feel like a little more width would ad stability to the mini crawler because they are so small. Anyones experience with wideners would be helpful. Thanks

Not sure if you were at the Comp up in Folsom. But my 1.9 has the wideners on it and I love it.. Cant complain at all. I also run with the blue compound bashers.. I am right at the legal limit for the comp. 8in width.

My only issue is that the radius of my turn is much larger then without the extenders. I went with all alum stuff up front and in the rear for extra strength.. Also I have a Hitec 645 for my steering help..
Losi6821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Any kind of widener is going to increase your scrub radius. The ideal setup is to have the axis your wheel turns on in the direct center of the wheel. That, of course isn't possible in most cases. It's just a question of how much scrub you're willing to deal with, and before it becomes a hinderance.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info, I figured a more powerful servo is probably a must. Do you find the turning radius to be a major problem or was it OK. I'm also curious, how many others were running wideners?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the info, I figured a more powerful servo is probably a must. Do you find the turning radius to be a major problem or was it OK. I'm also curious, how many others were running wideners?

I was the only one at the comp that had the wideners. the radius is not a problem you just have to set your line for it thats all. or be prepared to reverse.. 1 point is better then rolen.. or a touch..

I have the hitec 645 mounted up with an axial servo plate, metal horn as well.. No issues at all.. love the setup so far.. Just need somone to make beadlocks ....
Losi6821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losi6821 View Post
Just need somone to make beadlocks ....
Check out the options that Vanquish has for the 1.9's.
http://www.vanquishproducts.com/
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
Who's your Daddy-0!

I'm running wideners on my mini. I upgraded to aluminum C's and knuckles as well. It put me dead on 8" wide. I like it a lot better than stock but I shaved it a bit to help with the steering also. It's about close to stock turning radius...
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well I ordered a set. The only true way of knowing is to try something out for yourself. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
TN State Champ 11,12,13

What brand wideners are you guys using on your minis
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Who's your Daddy-0!

I have a old 3/4 set from RC4WD....Had them for a Axial....
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #12
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Thanks for the info...I'm using Traxxis wheel hexes. The problem is they are plastic and make a lot of creaking noises when under a load. Are the ones you are using plastic or alum?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i want to get me a set... were did you get them?
scubadaveojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #14
TN State Champ 11,12,13

I got the Traxxis plastic wheel hexes at my lhs. Cheap, about 6 bucks for all 4 wheels.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

This is where I ordered from. These guys are great to order from, never have any problems.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/2.2-Wheel...g-p-16233.html

After you get these I guess you have to do a little mod so they fit correctly. Which I found here. Good luck guys.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/IMG_0798.jpg
Old 11-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Thanks, up and over... looks like the pics from photo bucket have been deleted. Any other info on moding these wideners?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Well the mod stuff I found in the "NAT" thread in the Losi section, I believe page 3 or 4. Check that out.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Well the mod stuff I found in the "NAT" thread in the Losi section, I believe page 3 or 4. Check that out.
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/q...6/IMG_0798.jpg

This one work? I uploaded it directly.
redmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

So while doing this mod are we sliding that tubing over the ends of the little metal bar that fits in the hex, or is it just put in the space there to fill the gap and create a buffer space?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #20
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Thanks for the info....I just checked out the Nat thread you referenced. That was helpful. I think he is saying to slide the red tube from a WD-40 can over the small pin on the axl to fill up the space, or you could sand down the spacer which would make the grove in the widener not as deep. This forum rocks!!! Thanks to all for the info.