Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: CR/CC Comp 1.9 MRC Development

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Location: Its a language (not mine) and a utensil all rolled into one messed up city.
Default CR/CC Comp 1.9 MRC Development

So With the requests I've had for stuff for this little rig, plus having it now be an actual comp class I felt I should get busy with a build of my own. Plus I'll use this rig to develop tidbits for folks.

I Snagged this from the LHS Monday night:

Oh Yah! I'm digging it already

I got the measurements from the front steering links and started to work on a system to replace the bulky plastic parts.

Then I got started on dissasembly:

I immediately started some testing for size and materials and then wrote an order list. Tires, motor, materials, screws, etc.

Not all of it has been ordered yet, but the most impartant part was sent rush delivery.

Since I have released a link kit I have had several requests for a steering package. Stay Tuned!!
JSSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

How did you get the tires off the rim?
Calicrawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicrawler23 View Post
pull them off. the glue is not that well done on most (mine and others that have posted the same) of the tires. peace
drewmaloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicrawler23 View Post
They're not glued all that well honestly...if you just peel them slowly with a little help from an Exacto blade, you can remove them fairly cleanly. The silicone type nature of the compund is pretty pliable, so they peel easliy.

Just a bit of clean up on the rim, and your all set. Just a side note...the Blue Compound Claws are much, much better.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Location: Its a language (not mine) and a utensil all rolled into one messed up city.

Yup, they just peeled off for the most part. A few stubborn spots, but I just worked them a little with the hobby knife. Its nice to be able to re-use the stock wheels. Plus kinda like the looks of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post

Just a bit of clean up on the rim, and your all set. Just a side note...the Blue Compound Claws are much, much better.
Oh yah, they are on their way!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice to see the Losi in a pile of R&D Cody
Old 11-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Oh its in a pile.

I actually have more done, I'm trying to get the pics to cooperate
Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Stop typing and get back to wrenching...were all waiting for our goodies
Old 11-20-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Stop typing and get back to wrenching...were all waiting for our goodies
Well here you go.... finally got them to work so see if you dig this cheese

Utilizing the factory rod ends (Borrowed from my suspension links for testing) I was able to make a pair of Stainless Steel steering links - Remember the rush delivery? It came in early today. If my calculations were correct they would just barely clear the diff case and reduce the mass, providing much higher clearance.

I was very pleased with the results:

Next is test installation for fit clearance for full steering:

I really like the looks and clearance. Plus the factory ball ends allow for the use of the factory 2mm hardware for direct installation to axle. No mods needed really.

Check clearance:

Yup, just as I calculated. This size fits nicely in that groove between the servo plate posts and diff case. Full steering allowed and just a tiny bit of room to spare.

Check the improved clearance. I installed the stock tie-rod underneath mine to show the difference. I apologize the photo is a little blurry, but you get the idea

I'll Post these tomorrow in my thread under the vendor section with price and the part numbers for the factory ball ends etc.

Current State: One big pile-o-parts

Last edited by JSSuper; 11-20-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Dude...super clean and they look fantastic. Bag mine up with a lower link set and I'll order em' up when they're ready! Nice work bro!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Thumbs up

Nice work-

I will be waiting for these to be ready for release.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Well you shouldn't have to wait to long. I have a couple paid orders to finish first, then I'll be pushing some of these out so I can start shipping them tomorrow.

Tonight I plan to install a fullsize servo so I can work over the upper link for those who have changed to a fullsize. That way I can offer a a set for either servo size.

I got my bender today so another thing I'll be doing tonight is working on bent rear links. Its an option I'd like to offer to people.

As for my MRC progress, I can't decide between a TVP like the stock or the K2.5 or a tuber like that DMG..

If I go with a TVP I'm going to have it powdercoated just for fun. I also got the SSTL low profile screws in today for the beadlocks and lower skid plates. My MDS spacers are finished for upper chassis support braces if I decide to stay TVP.

Stay Tuned.....

Last edited by JSSuper; 12-14-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Can you make the upper link adjusable-turn buckle style? I flipped my servo over and can not use the factory link since it was not adjusable, or even if it where stock and upper adjustable link would be sweet.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

You can lengthen my upper link, but its not like a turnbuckle in that the threads are both the same direction. However, I can make you the length you need. Tell me the eye to eye length you need for this and I can make you one simple enough.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Well I've been at it today. I installed my fullsize servo and took measurements. I also received my bender today :-D Worked "slick as gut" as they say.

Made my SSTL links today, bent rear, strait fronts... I think it will work well and I'm anxious to try.

I've got several goodies on the way for this rig, Anyway I'm pretty excited about the whole thing

PROGRESS:
Old 11-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #16
RCC Addict

liking the steering links Cody, i should have waited though and gotten the bent links, my bad...
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

PM me, we'll set you up right.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Cody...brought my front axle to my LHS today. The Hi Tec 225MG fits well, but it's just a tick narrower and the ears are off just a bit verticaly as well.

I think a thin shim under the servo mounts will raise it just enough to mount cleanly, and some cone washers (Axial part #AXA1101) with countersunk screws seem to fit well for the ears.

I think that will keep it solid.

Sending you a PM for my links as well
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Thats good to know cuz I was thinking of doing the same thing on the 225MG with the alum horn. I havn't decided yet though.

I am giving serious consideration to powdercoating the chassis. I think I will countersink the plates and install stainless flat head screws down a long the skid plate and the bottom side of the rear lockouts.

That will help keep it catch free.

The powdercoater has a sweet red that I was looking at, but he also has what he calls "Harley Black" Its like a tripple gloss black..

What do all you guys think I should do?

Go Powdercoat red, or the Tripple gloss blk? Black with those stainless screws would look killer, but so would red... Hmm
Old 11-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Black is always the new Black, but Black and Red looks sick too.

I'd go Black chassis with a Black and Red body.

Check these:

This seasons double deuce (chassis' up for sale though)

And an RCC members sweet 2.2 DMG rig