Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: problem with wheel extenders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default problem with wheel extenders

Hey all,

I did a search and couldn't find what the answer I was looking for so...

I ordered some G-made wheel extenders for my LMC and the screw post/nut is to big to fit in the RC4WD python rims I have and the mayhem rims also it is too big.

Is it hard to drill alum. rims (I don't have a drill press or a vice) by hand?

I really don't want to ruin my new rims

I may have to bite the bullet and buy a 10" drill press and vice.

thanks in advance
kblackwell71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

If you have some way of clamping the wheel down so it doesn't move and are sure to keep the drill straight, you shouldn't have any issues drilling them, aluminum isn't that hard. Keeping the wheel somehow clamped down and flat is going to be the biggest thing, if you don't, you can end up hitting the face of the wheel with the drill bit, bent drill bits, crooked holes etc... Bits like to "catch" when enlarging a hole.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I had to drill my stockers out for the extenders too. I used a drill press on mine. I would say that if you use a hand held drill and you're nervous about drilling them to start small on the bits and work your way up to the correct diameter. Aluminum is normally not too bad to drill (it's a fairly soft metal).
redmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

it can easily be drilled with a hand drill. i have a press but always drill those by hand. just drill slow so it doesnt get away from ya
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

My advice is this, drill out your stockers to see if you even like the wheel wideners. I have sweet aluminum wheels and when I got the wideners I was so excited that I just want to drill my wheels to make them fit.
I ended up taking it slow and just drilled my stockers to test the wideners. Guess what...in my opinion the wideners kinda sucked, like really, they make the rig sloppy, it will get hung up on everything and the steering radius become like a 2.2. In fact it basically feels like driving a 2.2 rig with tiny tires and no power for steering.
Drill the stocker and try out the wideners before you drill some nice aluminum wheels.
The most challenging part about this process is dealing with the fact that you spent money on parts that could be useless depending on if you like them or not.
DO NOT DRILL YOU NICE WHEELS... until you test the wideners on the stockers and you know for sure.
Good Luck bro
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and over View Post
My advice is this, drill out your stockers to see if you even like the wheel wideners. I have sweet aluminum wheels and when I got the wideners I was so excited that I just want to drill my wheels to make them fit.
I ended up taking it slow and just drilled my stockers to test the wideners. Guess what...in my opinion the wideners kinda sucked, like really, they make the rig sloppy, it will get hung up on everything and the steering radius become like a 2.2. In fact it basically feels like driving a 2.2 rig with tiny tires and no power for steering.
Drill the stocker and try out the wideners before you drill some nice aluminum wheels.
The most challenging part about this process is dealing with the fact that you spent money on parts that could be useless depending on if you like them or not.
DO NOT DRILL YOU NICE WHEELS... until you test the wideners on the stockers and you know for sure.
Good Luck bro

thats good advice on there, i have been waiting for my 1.9 eritex heavies(2 weeks now, sic ) and will have to test on stock width before i take the drill to it.
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

yeah I think I will drill out my stock rims and give them a try with the extenders.

thanks
Old 11-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i drilled out my mayhems for the extenders. Going back to no extenders is fine, the hex centers the wheel on the axle, so the slightly larger hole doesn't make much difference.
HBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I hate hand drills for this type of stuff. A small drill press at lowes is like $100.00-$130.00 and you will have it forever. And they work great for this kind of work. I like the idea of using the stk. wheels to see if you are going to like them or not.
Mayhem Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
RCC Addict

one thing i noticed though is that with my CAC BAMF-1 2inch and the eritex 1.9 heavies which just came in today i didnt have to drill into them, the long bolt for the widener fit like a glove. test fit yours before anything.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

yeah, the hole was too small I drille out the plastic stock rims no problem. I will run it this friday at my LHS and maybe (if the wether is above freezing) outside this weekend.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblackwell71 View Post
yeah, the hole was too small I drille out the plastic stock rims no problem. I will run it this friday at my LHS and maybe (if the wether is above freezing) outside this weekend.

good luck on that, if you do need to drill your nice rims you could maybe bring it to a machine shop and have them do it for you.